Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why did you sell your SRO?

darthdively

I know that the SRO is one of the more popular optics out there. I see it in the trade forums on FB and other places all the time. People selling them or people buying them. It seems that SRO is on top of a lot of people's list. Why are we seeing so many people wanting to sell theirs? Have you sold yours, if so what did you move to?

I haven't gotten an SRO but I've been curious about this for a while. I personally used an RTS2, a couple DPP, and now I'm running the Eotech EFLX.

Edited by darthdively
misspelled a word

• 4 weeks later...

While my SROs have been reliable,  there are a number of things I didn’t like:

- Lots of fisheye - had more parallax than expected at the edge.  Addressable by making sure the dot is in the center but takes time and not always possible in some positions.  

- Double dot in certain sun angles (as mentioned above) - cost me some points on a couple matches but I shouldn’t have taken those shots and that’s on me. 

- Ejection issues on some guns (as mentioned above) - had some issues with ejected rounds getting caught between the SRO and slide causing some malfunctions.  Fixed some some ammo and spring changes on most guns (but some just couldn’t run the SRO).  

- Dumb ass battery cap - better than and RMR but made of super flimsy aluminum that is way to easy to cross thread (and mark up).  Almost always scratched the shroud every time and no good tools available.   Luckily the SRO has good battery life but I dread having to change them.   

I moved to the sig optics (R3 XL) on my comp guns and haven’t had any issues (yet).  It’s probably just a matter of time before I have issues but two have over 15k rounds in them - so far so good.  On my defense guns, I’ve moved to holosun (508T, 509T, and the EPS series) and have had no issues.  I have intentionally murdered two of them to test them out and was impressed (beat, dropped, hammered, drove over, etc).   Waiting on the holosun competition model to hit the market and will likely give it a go.  

Hi uhmeebuh, just read your post and wanted to let you know that a shooter has created a tool to remove and install the battery cap with out damaging it. This tool should have been included with every SRO sold. 

I'm about to replace mine with a FTP Alpha 3.  That double dot got me good.

My new open gun being built is getting a romeo 3 max.

If I go back with an rmr footprint I'll pick up the soon to be released Holosun 507C Comp

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly only sold my 1 Moa version because I like the 5 Moa better. I got the 1 Moa at a good price but it just wasn’t my favorite. The 5 Moa dot is cleaner in my opinion and it doesn’t bloom. But trying to find 5 Moa in stock anywhere is crazy 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve sold my SRO’s when one of the ones I had broke and needed repair, it was about 6 weeks to get fixed so in that time I switched over to a Romeo 3 Max. Used that for a few months and switched back to the SRO. Then I switched back to the Romeo 3 max when I switched platforms from CZ to Sig and just recently switched back to the SRO. I just get along better with the SRO I’ve found out.

I have three sro’s and don’t plan on selling any of them. I’ve never had issues with boom or parallax. Keep the glass clean and the brightness down.

I don’t like the blue tint, and I have seen the bloom just not an issue when shooting.