Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need A (major)load For A 9mm Sti Stinger

bobbyblaze

You might make it with HS-6, I'd try it first. It's the easiest to get. All 3 are pretty dense and I got well over 170pf with 124's.

HS-6

Silhouette

3N37

can you give me the OAL and Powder charge I should start out with for HS-6 and Silhouette also will SR7625 work good for 9mm open gun?

thanks

Edited by bobbyblaze

OAL=1.175" with 124g bullets.

Start with 8.6g of HS-6 and work up in .2g increments.

Start with 7.2g of Silhouette and do the same.

I'm using SV magazines without spacers and I can load out to 1.200". If you're using STI mags with spacers then you probably can't go past 1.165" or so. One of the guys that I have shot with uses 7625 in a shorty. I'm not sure if you'll make it in a stinger.

Get a pound of each powder and carefully work up a load for each powder. After you get a good major load for each powder, do some side by side comparisons to see which one works the comp better. I have a 5" gun so most of my data won't help you. Angus at Ghost Holster has a good deal on Zero 124g 9mm bullets. Get as many as you can and get busy. ;)

Good luck.

Edited by .40AET

OAL=1.175" with 124g bullets.

Start with 8.6g of HS-6 and work up in .2g increments.

Start with 7.2g of Silhouette and do the same.

I'm using SV magazines without spacers and I can load out to 1.200". If you're using STI mags with spacers then you probably can't go past 1.165" or so. One of the guys that I have shot with uses 7625 in a shorty. I'm not sure if you'll make it in a stinger.

Get a pound of each powder and carefully work up a load for each powder. After you get a good major load for each powder, do some side by side comparisons to see which one works the comp better. I have a 5" gun so most of my data won't help you. Angus at Ghost Holster has a good deal on Zero 124g 9mm bullets. Get as many as you can and get busy. ;)

Good luck.

thanks for the info, people are recommending putting three small popple holes, same as the brazos sx shorty to keep it flat. if I put popple holes do you think i can make major with the three powders listed? which powder would be best to make major with? with the popple holes. I am also using SVI mags. I just loaded up a few rounds to try I loaded 7.2 gr 7625 at 1.187 oal and the powder is almost to the top of the casing. if I go with 8.6 grains of HS6 will it over fill the case? I am new to open class; sorry to bother you with all the questions. I am wondering because my local gunshop has 8LBS of HS6 ready to sell me.

thanks again.

B-

First off, do you have a chronograph? You need one.

Very slim chance you'd ever make Major if you were to put Poppleholes in a Stinger. The 3.9" barrel doesn't have any room for error. In 9Major and with the USA's 165 power factor, you're looking at Vectan SP2 and HS6. Some of the other powders you ask about will leave you with bad pressure problems like cases sticking in the chamber and cases de-priming themselves in the gun.

125gr bullets, might be okay with 135gr bullets but only if they are .355 diameter. Years ago, guys had problems making Major with 135gr bullets & that's because the bullet chosen by most was a .356" made for Super.

Might want to sell off the N350 and the 7625 if you meet people who shoot those powders.

Edited by eric nielsen

you might try Ramshot True Blue also. It's definitely dense enough to get you up to major. I used 8.0 grains in a shorty with 2 poppleholes and made 170 pf with ease. (1.155 OAL w/ 125gr Zero JHP) No signs of pressure (some have mentioned issues with pressure though) and it wasn't close to being a compressed load.

You want to make major in 9mm don't try it is unsafe and you blow your gun up and lose an eye......

JUST KIDDING

Seriuosly though,

All of the data that I have put on the forums for 9mm loads that made major in my guns were shot through a 4.5" barrel. I made it with N350, if you do not have a chrono get one.

9mm Major Load Data

As far as pressure, as I do not use integral ramped barrels and I have not blown any cases based on the load data I provided. Not a sermon just a thought.

Alan (Never believe what a naysayer says)

Edited by 9Major-Caspian

I would experiment first. As most of us pointed out Alan included our shorty's are 4.5 - 4.25" bbls. Your barrel is 3.9" so you are losing some velocity off the get go. If you can easily make major then try one hole. Progress from there.

if I put popple holes do you think i can make major with the three powders listed?
Before you drill ANY holes in the barrel, you should first find out which powders will make major and how much room is left in the case. You may need all of the case volume just to make major. I doubt that you'll make major with a 3.9" barrel and holes in the barrel.

I'm using 8.8g of HS-6 and 115g bullets. There is plenty of room in the case.

Edited by .40AET

if I put popple holes do you think i can make major with the three powders listed?
Before you drill ANY holes in the barrel, you should first find out which powders will make major and how much room is left in the case. You may need all of the case volume just to make major. I doubt that you'll make major with a 3.9" barrel and holes in the barrel.

I'm using 8.8g of HS-6 and 115g bullets. There is plenty of room in the case.

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT TRUE BLUE? WOULD IT WORK BETTER THAN HS 6?

I use True Blue in 9mm open (5" gun). At under 8 gr I don't see any pressure signs (I make major with 7.5 gr). At 8.2 or so I did see some pressure signs. I've heard -- but don't know if it's true -- that HS-6 causes excessive barrel wear. Maybe the same is true for Tru Blue, I don't know.

I made major with 7.5g of True Blue with 124's. I had fireworks coming out of the comp that was very distracting. Sparkles of unburnt powder. :wacko: It bothered me enough to abandon the powder. It's worth a try, you may not have any problems with your gun.
I've heard -- but don't know if it's true -- that HS-6 causes excessive barrel wear
I'll let you know after I burn another 40 pounds of the stuff. Hands down, it was the best load that I worked up.

If you listen to the rumors and the naysayers....I'll be the first one to burn out a barrel. I'm using 115g MG bullets and HS-6. All of which are supposed to cause excessive wear on a barrel. I just picked the components that worked best in the gun that I have.

Bobby- If you haven't gone through the entire post that 9Major-Caspian put a link to, you should. While my gun was being built I printed it out and highlighted every powder that was listed. I made a list of starting charges and bullet weights and then worked up a load for my gun with each combination. You have twice the information that I had a year ago... Use it!!!

Good luck.

Bobby,

You might have confused information about an accurate arms powder. I believe it was AA5 that the filler in the powder caused barrel erosion. HS-6 is the same as the discontinued WW540 which was used religously for years in 38 super to make major.

I have used HS-6 (540) for years in 38 Super and .40 to make major. Never noticed any erosion that would be considered excessive or a shortened barrel life.

Alan

I made major with 7.5g of True Blue with 124's. I had fireworks coming out of the comp that was very distracting. Sparkles of unburnt powder. :wacko: It bothered me enough to abandon the powder. It's worth a try, you may not have any problems with your gun.
I've heard -- but don't know if it's true -- that HS-6 causes excessive barrel wear
I'll let you know after I burn another 40 pounds of the stuff. Hands down, it was the best load that I worked up.

If you listen to the rumors and the naysayers....I'll be the first one to burn out a barrel. I'm using 115g MG bullets and HS-6. All of which are supposed to cause excessive wear on a barrel. I just picked the components that worked best in the gun that I have.

Bobby- If you haven't gone through the entire post that 9Major-Caspian put a link to, you should. While my gun was being built I printed it out and highlighted every powder that was listed. I made a list of starting charges and bullet weights and then worked up a load for my gun with each combination. You have twice the information that I had a year ago... Use it!!!

Good luck.

THANKS A BUNCH! I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE INFORMATION. I WILL START WITH HS6 AND WORK MY WAY UP.

I thought Hodgdon was using Longshot as the replacement for 571. Might be worth trying Loudshot :blink: oops I meant Longshot :)

Alan

they are using loudshot as a replacement for hs7.. i just dont want to be at ground zero when bobby touches of a major loudshot stinger load...youll think a mushrooom cloud just came out of the compensator...LOUD!!!

It would be nice if another company would market HS7 as their own...hint hint...ramshot...

ramshot silhouette might be another good choice for the stinger.

• 2 weeks later...

i shoot a stinger with 8.1 n350 and 125 zero jhp 1.243 oal and make 168 pf @ 70 degrees

temp..i am gonna shoot in jax fla next week and chrono again.i may have to go 8.2 to be safe but that is in 38super..i am not sure if u can get that in a 9 case..hope this helps

Edited by pbosik