Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget SS Pistol Upgrades?

theautobahn

I've taken the last year (or two) off from shooting competitions. I'm planning on jumping back in to USPSA and Steel Challenge this year. I generally run either Ltd or CO with a Glock or M&P. Well, I had the bright idea to try Single Stack just for funsies for at least a match or two. So I picked up a 9mm and a .45 Tisas Duty 5" (roast away). I had googled what the absolute cheapest, semi-reliable 1911 was (I don't want to dive that hard into SS as I suspect I'll stick with striker guns long term). But... I recognize I probably ought to put at least a few dollars into the gun and I'm wondering what everyone thinks are necessary upgrades, and how I might go about keeping this a "budget project".

I'm thinking a magwell, grips, oversized mag release, a single side thumb safety, and sights. My hands are wide, but my fingers are short otherwise I'd skip the mag release, but I have to turn the pistol (most of them, actually) significantly to reach the release. Is the single side safety that important or should I keep the ambi safety? I'm leaning toward the Dawnson IPSC magwell. Pretty open on grips - G10 of some variety, I'm guessing. And probably the Trijicon FO front / black rear sights.

Last note - I think I'm going to shoot the 9mm and sell the .45 unless I can figure out what makes this particular .45 "punchier" than all the other 1911's I've shot over the years. It smacks the web of my hand pretty aggressively, and several other shooters agreed.

TLDR: Help me dump money into my $350 budget 1911...

Edited by theautobahn

I’d sell the .45 if I were you. I’d go with the over sized mag release and keep the ambi safeties, so when you shoot weak hand, you can transfer your gun to that hand and then take the safety off. BTW, some mag wells require a longer base pad to seat the mags securely. Good luck!

13 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I’d sell the .45 if I were you. I’d go with the over sized mag release and keep the ambi safeties, so when you shoot weak hand, you can transfer your gun to that hand and then take the safety off. BTW, some mag wells require a longer base pad to seat the mags securely. Good luck!

Thank you. That's part of why I went with the IPSC well and not the Ice. I'm leaning toward the Brownell's 9mm mags, as the Tripp's would be worth more than the pistol by the time I got done buying them. Ed brown has a cool upgrade program and I have some crappy Korean .45 1911 mags I could trade in, but his 9mm mags are 9 rounders. The Brownell 9mm mags have pads and I believe they'll work with the IPSC well.

Id sell them both and get something decent to begin with. You are pooring good money after bad.
Id rather start with a short block kit and a Kuhnhausen manual.
Been their done that didnt get the cookie with a Rock Island.. Gun is a POS,, had plenty of Wilson and Ed brown parts on hand plus tools and know how so figured no biggy,  but gun is out of spec, never had so much problems fitting basic 1911 parts,, I mean even a new mainspring housing was a PIA.. Still dont have a recoil spring setup I am happy with, Its a 6 inch and had a 2 piece that just like other 2 pieces guide rods I have used likes to come unscrrewed as you shoot. no matter what I do to them. STI one was same way.

In SS if you are moving, you're trloading, so a mag well is beneficial. Since you also specfying new grips, you might look at the Hogue Extreme grips ttat have the grips extended along with a new mainspring housing that is also extended, making a mag well from the three.

How are the sights?

15 hours ago, Guy Neill said:

In SS if you are moving, you're trloading, so a mag well is beneficial. Since you also specfying new grips, you might look at the Hogue Extreme grips ttat have the grips extended along with a new mainspring housing that is also extended, making a mag well from the three.

How are the sights?

Three dot (white) sights. Not my preference but not awful. If I left then, I’d at least black out the rears. I believe they are Novak cuts so was going to throw some FO front / black rear on there (most likely trijicon). 

On 3/9/2023 at 3:54 PM, Joe4d said:

Id sell them both and get something decent to begin with. You are pooring good money after bad.
Id rather start with a short block kit and a Kuhnhausen manual.
Been their done that didnt get the cookie with a Rock Island.. Gun is a POS,, had plenty of Wilson and Ed brown parts on hand plus tools and know how so figured no biggy,  but gun is out of spec, never had so much problems fitting basic 1911 parts,, I mean even a new mainspring housing was a PIA.. Still dont have a recoil spring setup I am happy with, Its a 6 inch and had a 2 piece that just like other 2 pieces guide rods I have used likes to come unscrrewed as you shoot. no matter what I do to them. STI one was same way.

That’s a thought. When I started pricing upgrades, that put me at the price of an entry level “decent” 1911 (that would still need work). I’ve been checking the classifieds of various forums for a used one that works for me to no avail. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are you dipping your toe in the water or do you want to jump in?  Answering that question will set you in the right direction.    If you’re dipping your toe in the water, do just what it takes to make the system reliable.  I say system, because the magazines matter.  You can move a reliable set-up if you want to upgrade later.  If you want to jump in, you’ve got some other options.  One is to make sure you have an in-spec 1911 with a good reputation (that’s does necessarily not mean expensive…). If you have a good gunsmith you trust, they can make it race ready on a realistic budget.  Another path is to buy a nice 1911 like a DW, which is pretty much ready out of the box, but doesn’t cost a custom build price.  Based on what you were sharing, the custom build is not what you’re looking for, but boy are they nice.  I personally went the “buy a good 1911 and send to my gunsmith” route.  He is known for high end 1911 and 2011 builds.  Very happy.