Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My wife had a talk with a female co-worker who target shoots. Secret shooter girl stuff; fun, cookies and bullets. I couldn't get all the details but now she wants to buy a gun. :unsure:

Whats a good gun for a new female shooter. Target shooting mostly. I doubt she would ever shoot a match but who knows. What do you ladies think?

Edited by Hey QuicksDraw!

Well, after seeing your pimped-out AR-1Bling at Ft. Benning, you're in trouble my friend. You're gonna have to get something even shinier for your sweetie... probably looking at a pair of platinum-plated .22 autos with diamond accents... :P

DanO, your squad 1 buddy from Benning

IMHO, the best starter is a.357 wheelgun with heavy 6" bbl, good grips and good sights. A Ruger, Smith, or even a Taurus are fine choices. Start her off with lite .38 special target ammo and when she's chewing the centers out of targets at any reasonable distance (DA and SA), you can move her up to being accurate with full power ammo too. Damn good skill and gun combo to have in your tool chest. When she's ready to graduate to a semi-auto, she will still have a real reliable wheelgun in her collection. A medium frame .357 wheelgun is never a bad thing to have around in a pinch ;-)

Taurus Model 66

Edited by George

Maybe you should let her shoot different models/types and decide what she likes (of course, you would recommend something pleasant to experiment with). Just a thought.... The Ladies sub-forum might be able to lend some experienced insight, too.

Whatever you do, get her some quality ear protection before she fires the first shot. Plugs AND muffs are probably the best way to go. The recoil isn't what scares people off nearly as much as the noise. Might as well take the opportunity to prevent a flinch before it starts.

Liota, Mark didn't play fair. He has had the benefit of the advice from the Lady's forum's. I bow to his superior sensitivity training. ;)

Sorry man, I just couldn't help myself. I have to put the sh it on you.

Of course Mark it right, let her shoot some different guns. I don't know what kind of experience she has. Have her shoot a rimfire and some nice 9mm guns.

Me on the other hand I shoot a G34 and bought the wife the same model so mags etc would be interchangeable. I also have a back up on match day if she doesn't want to go that day (Yes, selfish self center bas tid that I am). ;)

She did shoot with me last Sunday and we have another date this Sunday. A little shooting, a little shopping and maybe I'll get lucky too.

Good luck with your buying decision,

Rick

Mark, May 1 will be 25 years with the same lady. It still amazes me that she has put up with me for all of this time. What is terrible is when she beats me at a gun game.

We shot rimfire silhouette for a while. I was shooting an Anschutz with a tricked out Leupold 40X scope. Momma was shooting a Sako Finnfire with a Weaver T36. I have been spanked on more than one occation.

Life is good, enjoy the holidays with your family. :P

Yep...find a range that has a rental program and let her play.

A LadySmith in .357 is also a very good option as are the Ruger SP101s.

A LOT depends on the size of your wife's hands and her grip strength.

Just make sure that when she tries the .357s that she is shooting light .38 special loads like George suggested. Some indoor ranges are more sensitive to this but others cater mostly to testosterone crazed males and therefore figure .357 blaster means full house .357 ammo.

Another good caliber for women that are just plain scared of big bore is a .32. Ruger makes the SP101 in .32 and I believe the LadySmith series is/was also available in that caliber.

Women will often want to gravitate to the smaller guns thinking they will be easier to control. When I brought my NAA Guardian home the wife was VERY interested. But anyone that has shot one will recognize that it is not a good beginner's gun.

XDs tend to work well for folks with small hands too. I know nothing of Glocks other than I can't hit squat with them so can't offer advice there.

Anybody I take to the range gets to see all the fun toys I have. I demonstrate all the toys first and then let them choose. Almost all of them prefer to start out with my scoped Model 41 Smith. Once they get bored cutting single hole groups, they generall move up ti the 4 or 6" 357's with 38 spl light loaded ammo or my 610 with equally light loaded steel challenge/icore loads. If they feel like they want to try something with oomph, I either have them fire one or two rounds from my LDA in 9, Sig in 40 (with minor loads) or my 38 super race gun. They usua;;y don't want anything to do with my Limited blaster and major pf loads.

Though my wife loves to shoot my Super 14 Contender in 30-30. She doesn't shoot it that well, but she's just having fun. I think she likes the flash and fire of it, lol.

Vince

Edited by sargenv