Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering a new ccw, narrowed it down…

For the last few years I have only had one pistol suitable for CCW.  And I haven’t often carried that….

I’m looking to actually carry more so I have narrowed my choices down to 3, two of which I would use in my local action pistol matches to possibly replace my CZ P-09. (s)

The first choice would not be a consideration for competition.

1) a 45acp officer framed lightweight frame with a ramped barrel and a 3-3.5” barrel. 

I have narrowed that choice down to a S&W scandium frame..

I wouldn’t often use this for competition and it wouldn’t replace my CZ 

2) would be used in competition…

Alpha Foxtrot 1911-S15

this is an aluminum framed double stack 1911 upper 15 rounder in 9mm. With +5 round extensions available. 

3) would also be used in competition 

Springfield Hellcat pro is the cheapest of the bunch, and I would likely get one with an optic installed 

it is a 9mm double stack striker with 15 round magazines and plus 3-4 extensions available 

I have a hellcat OSP with an optic and hate it. The gun is super snappy. A similar sized P365xl on the other hand feels like it shoots completely flat in comparison. I usually carry it when I can pry it away from my wife. Otherwise I have a CZ P01. 

14 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

I have a hellcat OSP with an optic and hate it. The gun is super snappy. A similar sized P365xl on the other hand feels like it shoots completely flat in comparison. I usually carry it when I can pry it away from my wife. Otherwise I have a CZ P01. 

Is that the 3” barrel?  The new pro has a 3.7”  so maybe less snappy…

The Alpha s-15 has a 3.5” barrel. 

They both should be less snappy than the scandium 3” .45 acp…

Edited by AngelDeVille

27 minutes ago, AngelDeVille said:

Is that the 3” barrel?  The new pro has a 3.7”  so maybe less snappy…

The Alpha s-15 has a 3.5” barrel. 

They both should be less snappy than the scandium 3” .45 acp…

Yea it's the 3" version. Hopefully the pro version is better. I think something like the p365xl with a longer slide (4" barrel) would be perfect. I've thought about a Icarus precision grip module along with a comp but at that point it's a $1600 gun after an optic. 

4 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Yea it's the 3" version. Hopefully the pro version is better. I think something like the p365xl with a longer slide (4" barrel) would be perfect. I've thought about a Icarus precision grip module along with a comp but at that point it's a $1600 gun after an optic. 

I was trying to not go further down the rabbit hole by limiting my choices….  The Sig does look good too…

the Bul armory sas II ultralight is another 1911ish contender….

To add to the above, I’m on the 365 Macro program, and truly love it. I am running a 365XL sized Icarus Evo grip on it, which turned it into an entirely different gun (wasn’t a fan of the factory macro grip fwiw)

I know it isn’t on your list, but if you’re open to considerations…. 

Y’all are just awful… and maybe a touch evil….

ok let’s consider….

The hellcat pro with the shield red dot 15 rounds is $720

The 365xl with Romeo sight 12 round is $780

and the 365 macro with Romeo sight 17 round is $950 barrel is shorter at 3.1” and the grip is longer so I think that’s out.

I think for striker fired, I’m still in the hellcat pro camp…. with 3 extra rounds… extra magazines aren’t obnoxiously priced…

but I’m still so ingrained with 1911’s I’m willing to spend more money on 1911 controls and no new fangled optics…..

I have never used optic on a pistol by the way….  And all my ar’s are A1’s and variants…. Don’t like A2’s let alone M4’s….

so for me to consider and optic on a carry pistol is a huge leap I never thought I’d consider….

so even with the 15+1 round 9mm’s (16+1 for the Bul) I still have the 7+1 scandium frame .45 compact 1911 high on the list… the benefits being I don’t need a new holster and I have a metric but load of magazines…. I could get one of these under $1200

the bul and alpha would be around $1500 plus extra magazines… the bul uses sti type magazines so that’s a plus…. So maybe the bul sass II bumps the alpha down a notch….

I don’t think I’m any closer to a decision….

by the way I had been looking at the Glock 48 and 43x and such but had discounted those early on.

Edited by AngelDeVille

You can buy a P365 that comes with a macro grip module (17 rounds) but a xL slide (3.7" barrel). I believe they call it a tac ops model, it's fairly new. Should be around $799ish. My wife got her p365xl with 3 mags and a holster for $599 from sportsmans warehouse. A holosun 407k was $230 on Amazon. 

to make considerations more difficult ;) I would try and find a range to rent/shoot them all. I have a Glock 43 as well and it doesn't leave the safe anymore.

9 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

You can buy a P365 that comes with a macro grip module (17 rounds) but a xL slide (3.7" barrel). I believe they call it a tac ops model, it's fairly new. Should be around $799ish. My wife got her p365xl with 3 mags and a holster for $599 from sportsmans warehouse. A holosun 407k was $230 on Amazon. 

to make considerations more difficult ;) I would try and find a range to rent/shoot them all. I have a Glock 43 as well and it doesn't leave the safe anymore.

thanks, for the heads up!

It looks like Sig listened to customers on that one, it's cheaper with more features, and magazines...

that may be contender vs the hellkitty, but the larger gripframe is still a very slight drawback. but very slight

I'm going to test Bul Armory customer service this week or next, and get some more info on the sass ii ultralight....

there are some pretty nice options out there for sure....

I'll explore dimensions further on the Bul, p365, and hellokitty. 

Dimensions are what kept me from keeping my Wiley Clapp Colt...

Edited by AngelDeVille

P01's are great for carry, I just happen to have one in the classifieds lol.

I'm also a fan of the 365, I had one and my wife claimed it so I have to get another. I like the xmacro grip, it's surprising small still. With the large backstrap it fits my hand much better. 

If you happen to be a NRA instructor you can get some pretty good deals on 365's. I just ordered one for $465, add a $200 407k and I'm set. 

18 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

P01's are great for carry, I just happen to have one in the classifieds lol.

I'm also a fan of the 365, I had one and my wife claimed it so I have to get another. I like the xmacro grip, it's surprising small still. With the large backstrap it fits my hand much better. 

If you happen to be a NRA instructor you can get some pretty good deals on 365's. I just ordered one for $465, add a $200 407k and I'm set. 

Mike,

Is the discount direct from SIG?

• 3 weeks later...

****DESCISION HAS BEEN MADE****

Springfield has a hellcat pro package with 5 magazines and a range bag, in addition to the pistol soft case for just north of $500.

The local shop has an online store, and I ordered from there, but they had one in stock Monday, so I'll find out later if I can pick it up today...  So I did get to fondle it, and that really sealed the deal, not a thing I would change.

They also had the optic model but the 5 mag one was a better deal..  that was very nice too, never shot an optic pistola..

I do believe I will be looking at an optic for it, I just need to research what fits... and so far I have found +4 mag extensions so I'll get a few of those...

image3972785-090ab13c1533424a3c8f898c03b59eae.jpg

Edited by AngelDeVille

Just a word or two about the Alpha and Bul pistol customer service.

Alpha was/is coming out with an improved version 2, so I had emailed them about the changes and haven't heard back from them. +- 2 months

Bul did respond to me but didn't answer a couple of the important questions I had.

I still may get a Bul down the road, but may get a commander size since my carry is covered now.

Ordered Friday from the shops webstore, got a call and picked it up today (Tuesday). 

smaller than an officers 1911, and 15 rounds of 9mm…

trigger is nicer than a glock for sure, and quite nice for a striker.

ill shoot a video in the next couple days if I’m not to busy with my pcc build. 

I had some small parts to order from midway and to get some coupon I added two more magazines… so 7 will be the number of the magazines I have…

I’ll buy maybe 4 or 5 of the mag extensions and probably use it for competition too

so far two companies make +4 extensions, haven’t seen +5’s…

Edited by AngelDeVille

Here is my new quandry...

I ordered a light that will fit this pistol.

I have an AIWB holster on the way for the pistol+optic, AND I have an OWB holster for competition that will work for competition with the optic that I like very much. no light option on these two holsters.

I do believe this pistol will also be suitable to carry and compete with the light attached.

I would be very happy with another AIWB holster that includes the light.  and I do have no problem ordering another AIWB for this porpoise.

The only OWB holster I can find that I somewhat like does not have the retention type I like for competition, and I doubt any maker would make one in the future.

Do I remove the light for competition or suck it up and train with the pistol and light and a holster I don't like as much?

I have never had a pistol with a light -or- an optic, let alone both so all new territory for me....

• 2 weeks later...