Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 optics ready

Lock-n-load

CZ custom has their own cut for their own plate system, and the plate sort of dovetails/slides into the slide cut. So I think it's a deeper cut. The S2 Factory cut slide is also wider in the rear, or rather, the rear has no tritop.

Edited by Arcrunner

The CZ Custom or CGW solution of milling the slide works to where CZC physically mills down the slide on a Shadow 2 deep enough to where it’s low as hell, but it doesn’t get into the firing pin channel. They then use a custom plate because the optic is usually wider than the slide, so you screw the optic onto the plate and thus the optic will sit lower than the CZ OR slide solution!

CGW from what I remember takes it a step up, to where they either direct mount the optic to the slide after milling it so there is no plate being used, or you can spend an additional $200 and have them use a plate for the optic after milling your slide, BUT you get co-witness iron sights for your optic at the same time. 

Meanwhile for the CZ OR slides they widen the slide body at the rear, and you lose your serrations entirely except for the front. You also use adaptor plates for the OR slide, and because the cover plate uses iron sights as well instead of them being on their own separate dovetail, when using optics, you lose the ability to have co-witness sights entirely. 

4 hours ago, Friedrich_der_Grosse said:

The CZ Custom or CGW solution of milling the slide works to where CZC physically mills down the slide on a Shadow 2 deep enough to where it’s low as hell, but it doesn’t get into the firing pin channel. They then use a custom plate because the optic is usually wider than the slide, so you screw the optic onto the plate and thus the optic will sit lower than the CZ OR slide solution!

CGW from what I remember takes it a step up, to where they either direct mount the optic to the slide after milling it so there is no plate being used, or you can spend an additional $200 and have them use a plate for the optic after milling your slide, BUT you get co-witness iron sights for your optic at the same time. 

Meanwhile for the CZ OR slides they widen the slide body at the rear, and you lose your serrations entirely except for the front. You also use adaptor plates for the OR slide, and because the cover plate uses iron sights as well instead of them being on their own separate dovetail, when using optics, you lose the ability to have co-witness sights entirely. 

For the OR slides, CGW and CHPWS make a plate that has a rear sight, or a dovetail for a Glock rear sight, but only for RMR footprint sights. 

The CZC plate system works well and is a good design. If buying a new gun and you want to use plates I would go with a factory Shadow 2 OR.

If you have a current gun that you want to add a plate system CZC is the only option I know of.

If you want to direct mill on your current gun or a new gun CGW does excellent work and I have had them mill a couple for me in the past.

If you go with the factory Or it will end up Cheaper when you add in an iron sight plate should you choose to shoot any production. The CZC system is a great method for adding plates to an existing gun but it adds cost.

1 minute ago, Lock-n-load said:

Cz custom sounds like my best option. Can you just send them the slide or do you have to go through someone with a FFL ?

You can just send the slide. 

The factory OR slide is wider at the optic cut also. Makes it a little easier to rack the slide, apparently. I had CGW mill an S2 slide for an SRO. I'm happy with the work and how low the optic is mounted. 

I have 2 done by CZC. Very pleased with the turnaround time and fit. No issues with my SROs. I use the steel CZC plate. 

For my second I was able to get a NIB shadow 2 for $1100. So it was basically the same price as a OR model. 

Hard to argue with an OR model today tho. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 6:36 PM, 3guns said:

Nice!  I wish I had a new model.

Eh I mean yeah it's great but realistically I bet it is to standardize the process more across the line. 

Nothing a trip to a well known aftermarket slide service can't handle. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running a Shadow 2 slide cut by CZC. I tried out a friends OR S2 and I will defiantly be switch to those in the future. The extra mass under the optic and the C&H plates are a few of the reasons for the switch.