Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.18 OAL Factory 40 S&W Minor PF Ammo?

ahfox32

Any suggestions as to who makes/carries this ammo? Recently had a 40 barrel fit to my Springfield single stack 9mm Emissary. I have determined that the gun does not like factory 1.12 OAL ammo (feed issues), does like 1.18 ammo but I'm also still experimenting with recoil spring rates. I do have the "special" Tripp mags. I only load 9mm and before I add 40 to the press I'd like to just use factory ammo & see how the 40 experiment progresses. 

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Tripp 40 mags dont work for me.... just saying.. buy some plane jane metalform spacer 40 mags and try some Federal American Eagle 165's should do 1020 fps in a 5" Not minor but will help figure out feed issues

Edited by Joe4d

Got a 14 lb recoil spring and the Tripp mags work perfect, even loaded to 10, which is part of the goal with this project. Sights return to almost perfect alignment. 

Yes new Schuemann Z barrel fit only with some tweaks to the extractor. Very minor fitting of the barrel was needed.

Now if I can find some nice minor ammo.

Finding factory 1.18  minor(!) ammo might be tricky. By tricky I mean "almost certainly impossible." I bought some Atlanta Arms stuff years ago that although billed as major did not make pf. 

I'm surprised that your gun dislikes factory length ammo; I've owned a handful of .40 Sstk guns over the years and shot mostly factory length ammo. 

The gun not liking 1.12 factory ammo might be due to the too low recoil spring. Gun ran perfect this afternoon using a 14lb spring and some 170 pf 1.18 OAL 180 grain ammo. I'll try some 1.12 ammo again next time but I'd still like some 140ish ammo. 

Round nose FMJs, which is all I have in either length. I’m hoping that once the barrel gets about 250 rounds thru it I can drop to a lighter spring but only time will tell if that happens. This gun is for steel challenge/IDPA local matches.