Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Short Colt brass, how long does it last?

ysrracer

I've got about 15 loadings on mine, and out of a thousand cases I've had maybe three or four split.

Some of the primer pockets are getting really easy to seat.

I'm loading a 160gr bullet with Clays powder. How many times do you guys load your brass?

I've been shooting the same 1,000 Starline 38 short colt for years. I don't keep track of reload times, but probably 25 or 30 each. Still have well over 900, find a cracked one occasionally and toss it. They will probably get me through this year. I still have 2,000 brand new that I haven't needed to break into because the original ones just keep on going. Also, you get your own same brass back every time because they're on moon clips.

Edited by Toolguy

I've been seeing more in the last year.  Started shooting 38 short colt in 2012 i think.  Every year or two I try to get 1000 new, shoot them once to season them, then they become my match ammo.  I'd estimate I shoot 10 to 15 k a year.  I still have 3 or 4 full large coffee cans.

The only short life I experienced with Short Colt brass was when I tried roll crimping into the lube groove on 158',s.  After 4 or 5 goes I'd get case mouth splits.  I switched to a taper crimp and never had any issue.  They'll last a long, long time.

Jason