Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 625 Grip question

xjwalt666

I just got a new to me 625-8. I did my normal pull apart and clean and polish. I wasn't a fan of the grip so I tried to swap on a Hogue big butt rubber grip and it doesn't fit. It's an N frame round butt conversion grip and should fit as its listed on the compatibility chart. However where the grip meets the wider part of the frame it tilts forward when tightened up and seems like it has some back and forth play. I didn't think to take any pics and just swapped for a smooth Hogue rubber grip. But was curious if anyone else has run into this issue before. Same grip fits my 617 and 627 just fine. Is there something I'm missing? If needed I can swap it back on and take some pics. 

22 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

Make sure the bottom of the main spring is even with the sides of the grip frame. Make sure the roll pin is sticking out an equal distance on each side.

I did double check both of those. The strange thing is the grip that fits is the same grip just without the big butt. 

Hogue web site has instructions on how to install the grips.  They say the grips may have to be shimmed to fit on some guns.  Also says if you have a problem to give them a call. 😟

1 hour ago, 10mmdave said:

Did you check to make sure the screw is not contacting the frame thru the stirrup ??

Happened to me when I switched the grip & stirrup to another gun, drove me crazy !!

Had that happen once too.

I have found on mine ,that all of the grip screws are not the same length, some are much longer than others. They tend to match that specific grip, some of my big butts have more wood. Some of the non Big Butts are even a different thread count and pitch. The stirrups can be a bit different also but several are custom made too.

Edited by mchapman
add

9 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

Did you check to make sure the screw is not contacting the frame thru the stirrup ??

Happened to me when I switched the grip & stirrup to another gun, drove me crazy !!

Never thought to check this. I will tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, mchapman said:

I have found on mine ,that all of the grip screws are not the same length, some are much longer than others. They tend to match that specific grip, some of my big butts have more wood. Some of the non Big Butts are even a different thread count and pitch. The stirrups can be a bit different also but several are custom made too.

Going to check this tomorrow after work.