Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Limited Pro Quality - What to Expect

Bill Schwab

I’m a 10mm fan, own a few to include a Tanfo Witness Hunter, which overall has been an impressive pistol, but let’s face it, it’s a whale. Friend had his older (pre-2016) 10mm Limited Pro over and I fell in love with the size, weight, handling and DA trigger reach, and am considering picking a new one up. But the slide/frame fit was rather disappointing, and some of the frame checkering was insanely sharp.

So my question is, are current Tanfos built better, or worse? I guess I just want to manage my expectations. Appreciate any insight.

I bought a stock master this year. My first metal frame hammer gun. 
everything seems nice and tight to me, but then again I might not know what a true custom gun is yet. Granted I have a buddy who has an atlas and a couple of guys who have custom 2011 that I’ve played with.  

I will say this that the gun is insanely accurate and consistent. I have two different top ends for it and it’s the case with both of them. Between the two I have about 3500 rounds down the barrels in about six months. And also that being said I’ve only been shooting handguns since September 2021

when I was looking at buying my first one I read that EAA used to import them and gave them a bad rep with terrible customer service. Now they are imported by ITF. 

Going based off of my first aid experience I wouldn’t hesitate to buy anything tanfoglio puts out

From my experience, yes. From reports from others and my experience with stock master vs stock 2 guns from 2016 and 2018: fit is tighter with lock up and slide to frame, checkering more consistent, overall trigger was easier to get nice. I think IFG is better importer then EAA. 

Edited by Polymer

5 hours ago, Bill Schwab said:

are current Tanfos built better, or worse?  

My answer is the same. I have Tanfo ranging from early 2000 thru 2022..

Do they have a nice fit? Well define fit for a mass produce pistol?

Some have much aggressive checkering some late ones where mediocre. I may be inclined to make all my Tanfo have a much aggressive checkering. If I find time to do it. 

Some have on the older have much protruding barrel than newer version.

Are they all accurate? I have yet to have a Tanfo that doesn't give me a good and acceptable grouping.

Best grouping I had was 1.5" at 50 yards.. But that is using HAP, Sierra or PD bullets and much careful loaded data in my ammo.

Use a moly coated bullets and I will double the size of that grouping.

Some models these days are stroked. Older ones weren't. 

If I am picking a 10mm I would choose a limited Master or of course the obvious model would be the Gold Match. 

The only caliber I would chose for a lim pro is a 9mm. Anything larger I want a much heavier pistola. 

But as we all know it. It all depends on you... 

On 1/27/2023 at 10:09 AM, Yagi said:

Best grouping I had was 1.5" at 50 yards..

Out of a 4.75" barrel? Pretty good; I know people with rifles who can't group like that at 50 yards. 😬

My Tanfos group well at 25 yards, better than my Glocks, and can almost one hole at 10. 

On 1/29/2023 at 11:41 PM, DenC said:

wondering what stroked means?

Here's a link describing it. No magic, just allows slide to cycle a bit further. You would be better to experiment with recoil spring weights before cutting the gun.

Whats the trigger reset like on these on follow up shots,, say compared to a typical 1911 ? How far forward do you have to move the trigger to reset.. When I was into pins I looked for the 45 hunter,, but at the time couldnt find one.. 

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Whats the trigger reset like on these on follow up shots,, say compared to a typical 1911 ? How far forward do you have to move the trigger to reset.. When I was into pins I looked for the 45 hunter,, but at the time couldnt find one.. 

Trigger reset is a little more than a 1911, but I didn't notice it while running the gun for speed. I shot my friend's 10mm LimPro side by side against my custom 10mm 1911 with tungsten guide rod, and the Tanfo was much softer shooting making follow up shots quite a bit faster.

On 1/30/2023 at 12:41 AM, DenC said:

"Some models these days are stroked. Older ones weren't"

Shorter dust cover, more rearward slide movement during cycling.

IMG_2241.jpg.29ff967088a20a772ee88846607f23e7.jpg

Edited by Polymer