Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO Romeo 3 max/ XL

CC3D

Has anyone had success mounting a Romeo 3 Max or XL to a TSO slide? I am currently exploring options for LO- I've seen it done on shadows but not on the TS platform yet. Waiting to hear back from CZC for details but thought I'd give it a shot here too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update, it looks like CZC and CGW offer this service. CZC will do it with a plate system but it's the thickest plate I've ever seen on a slide. CGW offers direct mount. I know this is an uncommon combination, but has anyone had this service done? Would love to see pics of the finished product if available. 

• 1 month later...

Springer precision will do it as well, direct mount for 125. 

I'm torn between the 3 max and the SRO, due to the unorthodox combinations it doesn't look like a good solution for a plate system exists yet to swap out dots on the TSO- so whatever I pick I'm married to. 

If anyone has more info I'd be glad to hear it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up going with the TSO/ Romeo 3 Max combination- sent off the slide earlier this week. To my knowledge I'm the first person (I can find evidence of online) that is attempting this combo- will post the work here when it's done and give my thoughts for anyone who might want to try it in the future. 

Czc plate system is preferred imo. WAY faster and easier to change Optics if you want. Plus offers some Absorption of recoil.. 

Also I take it you understand the plate is recessed for the firing pin. Meaning it's mounted almost as low as direct mount. Like maybe 0.040" different.. 

For this specific optic, the CZC plate is considerably thicker than their normal plates. It makes the optic sit extremely high on the slide. There are no companies that offer a plate system compatible with the Romeo 3 series that doesn't have a thick plate like this for the CZ. 

Screenshot2023-04-20at3_32_21PM.png.d536cbfc6de08a7415b1e5439aae17f5.png

18 hours ago, ringram said:

Meaning it's mounted almost as low as direct mount. Like maybe 0.040" different.. 

To me this looks silly and adds like a cm of unnecessary height, so I went with direct mount. I really wish there was an option for a standard plate system with this optic combo but could not find one anywhere 

Whelp made it out to the range today to zero the dot and test out the new set up. I managed to get 8 rounds through the gun before the glass on the dot broke. Not sure what the problem is but plan on starting a separate thread to get it figured out. Will post back here with an update. 

3 minutes ago, CC3D said:

Whelp made it out to the range today to zero the dot and test out the new set up. I managed to get 8 rounds through the gun before the glass on the dot broke. Not sure what the problem is but plan on starting a separate thread to get it figured out. Will post back here with an update. 

Sorry to hear that. My R3 Max had glass fly off it after three matches, it just sheared off in the middle of a stage... 

While I love the R3 Max, it is a dainty little thing... 

7 minutes ago, nitrohuck said:

Sorry to hear that. My R3 Max had glass fly off it after three matches, it just sheared off in the middle of a stage... 

While I love the R3 Max, it is a dainty little thing... 

While that sucks it is a bit reassuring to hear that it might be a problem with the dot and not exclusively my set up. What did you end up doing about it? 

10 minutes ago, CC3D said:

While that sucks it is a bit reassuring to hear that it might be a problem with the dot and not exclusively my set up. What did you end up doing about it? 

Sig was great about it, I sent them my old dot and they had a new one in my hands in about 8 days, 

That said, there definitely has been some talk about CZs specifically being rough on dots, and I might guess that a direct mounted R3Max is going to take too much of a beating compared to having a plate system to buffer it a little bit from the shock. I hope that doesn't end up being the case and your next R3 ends up lasting indefinitely, 

Edit: for reference my dot was on a P320 Max, not a CZ... now that I'm running a shadow 2 I switched to an SRO since thats what the gun came ready to mount 

Edited by nitrohuck

• 2 weeks later...

Sig made it right, sent out a new optic pretty much no questions asked. 

I ended up putting in a stronger spring and some buffers into the slide and ran the already broken optic on it another 200 rounds without any further damage. Lesson learned, dots are probably not going to like being mounted on .40 major guns running the lightest springs. 

Going to load up some .40 minor and shoot a match with the new dot this weekend, will give another update here after. 

Happy to report that after mounting the new dot i’ve had no issues. I ran about 100 major rounds and 50 minor through it Saturday and shot a match (~150 rounds) with minor rounds Sunday. Obviously 300 rounds isnt a thorough enough trial but I see no evidence of the dot failing now.

Not totally sure what caused the initial failure, but i got that dot used with an unknown history. I’m chalking it up to a faulty dot. 

As for this combination, the R3 max is sweeeeet on the TSO. Running 40 minor with this hefty gun and that nice big window, the dot hardly moves. Couldnt recommend it more, the thing shoots itself. This Sunday was my first match back after a pretty considerable hiatus and despite having no experience with dot shooting I still felt like I was shredding. 

On 5/10/2023 at 1:45 PM, CC3D said:

Sig made it right, sent out a new optic pretty much no questions asked. 

I ended up putting in a stronger spring and some buffers into the slide and ran the already broken optic on it another 200 rounds without any further damage. Lesson learned, dots are probably not going to like being mounted on .40 major guns running the lightest springs. 

Going to load up some .40 minor and shoot a match with the new dot this weekend, will give another update here after. 

40 minor is the way. currently running that in LO with the toni systems mount. very happy with it. And enjoying the hell out of 40 minor loads with 165grain blues and 4.2 grains of n320.

tso.jpg

12 minutes ago, Guitarmageddon said:

40 minor is the way. currently running that in LO with the toni systems mount. very happy with it. And enjoying the hell out of 40 minor loads with 165grain blues and 4.2 grains of n320.

tso.jpg

Try some 180 grain coated with 3.2 grains of plain Clays in the TSO. 

21 hours ago, Guitarmageddon said:

tso.jpg

How is the Toni systems mount holding up? Any movement or issues? Was the install easy? Thanks.

11 hours ago, mannyc said:

How is the Toni systems mount holding up? Any movement or issues? Was the install easy? Thanks.

It has been great so far. However, it needed a little bit of filing and very minor fitting to get it to comfortably fit in the dovetail without feeling like I was going to shave a bunch off. It has been through about 500 rounds so far and I am driving to my second match with it as we speak. Seems fine so far.