Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Wichita Falls

Gents,

I have a job opportunity in Wichita Falls Texas.

I'm just wondering how active practical shooting is in that area. (I'm from EU)

Also regarding to reloading components, how hard is it to get them atm in the US? Because primers (and powder) is hard to get over here atm.
Bringing most of my guns over shouldn't be a problem, but I won't get my components over probably.

Any other info would be appreciated. At first glans from what I've found Wichita doesn't look all that great, but I might be wrong.

Thx

. I drive about 180 km for my local Steel challenge match.  inside that radius is a couple USPSA clubs and a revolver ICORE club.   Also keep in mind once out of town you  can do about 110-120k per hour without traffic in that area, looks like there are several clubs listed inside of 160k radius.. No idea if they are active as none seem to have a listed websight

Double tap ranch is in Holliday tx, about 10 miles from Wichita falls. They have monthly USPSA matches, a level 2 once a year, and falling steel and 3 gun matches occasionally.

Albany texas, which is about 2 hours away has monthly USPSA matches.

Abilene Texas which is about 2 hours away has monthly three gun matches 

Oklahoma City which is about 2 hours away, I am pretty sure has monthly USPSA matches. But you need to double check that 

Primers and powder, are somewhat available but expensive compared to what they used to be, and I'm pretty sure that's Nationwide.

I've never been to the EU, but my understanding is cities and such are stacked pretty close together. In this part of the world they're spread out a little bit, so 2-hour drive is not really a big deal to any of us. Good luck

I lived in Wichita Falls before @ 2000-2005 -  I was ok with it - at the time. 

It has a pilot training Air Force base (ENJJPT for U.S. and NATO training - my neighbor was a Dutch pilot and was an awesome dude!)

It is about 2 hours drive from Dallas Fort Worth area (but 3 get to cross DFW during rush traffic!). Couple hours from Oklahoma City. 

Double Tap Ranch is an awesome club, that hosts bigger matches occasionally. 

The guys in Duke, OK (Indian Territory I think?) used to put on a good smaller USPSA or IDPA match. 

Airport was awesome - one parking lot that you park right next to terminal- building, walk right in, and hit 1 of the 2 gates. Boom, connect DFW and go anywhere. Or drive to OKC or DFW and fly direct.

2 of my 3 kids were born in W.F......     but I didn't cry when I left there.

Overall there are worse places than W.F., and a decent place - especially if you know its just a few years - and you are ok with the kind of smaller town with mostly 1 of everything, but 2 hours from a real city, having a great local club to shoot at, and plan on driving within a 2 or 3 hour radius to hit other matches/city life/shopping. 

Little bit isolated. Very flat. Kinda windy. Tornado alley. Nice USPSA club. 

• 1 month later...

I lived in Wichita Falls for about 7 years before relocating to Fort Worth and then Oklahoma City. It is not that bad. The people are great, and you can still find that small town feel. There are local matches as noted above. Lots to do in a 2hr radius. Honestly I miss WF and wish I had never moved here, but that has nothing to do with the shooting.

I worked for Amoco Production Company out of Houston for much of the decade of the 1980's. I distinctly remember a bicycle race held every summer around Wichita Falls rather aptly name the "Hotter Than Hell 100". And it was hell on bicycle tires and equipment from the heat alone. It has been a while, but that alone ought to tell you much about summers in that part of the world.

1 hour ago, Whitefish said:

I worked for Amoco Production Company out of Houston for much of the decade of the 1980's. I distinctly remember a bicycle race held every summer around Wichita Falls rather aptly name the "Hotter Than Hell 100". And it was hell on bicycle tires and equipment from the heat alone. It has been a while, but that alone ought to tell you much about summers in that part of the world.

I rode the hotter than hell last year, but the weather actually was pretty nice that go around