Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Under Barrel Rail for TRR-8

gargoil66

Guys:

Was looking for my short under barrel rail for my TRR-8 and can not find it.  Good thing is that I went through all of my shooting gear and got rid of a bunch of garbage while looking.

Bad thing is I didn't find it.  I recall the last time I saw it.  I said to myself "If you put that rail here, you will never find it again".  So, I put it there -- where ever that is.

No one makes an aftermarket rail for the TRR-8.

I called Smith and Wesson and after holding for about twenty minutes, the individual asked what the SN of the revolver is.  For a rail?  OK, had to get the revolver and after putting the revolver under a 200X microscope with a 60K candle power light, I was able to discern the serial number.  So I called Smith and Wesson back, held for a few minutes and the next individual seemed to know what I was talking about and didn't ask for the SN.  

The individual at Smith said it would cost $85.00 for both rails.  OK -- fair enough.  Not sure what I would do with an extra top rail.  Not even sure why the revolver has a top rail.  But I guess that is the price I pay. 

And I actually thought they had one in stock!  Not so. 

Q:  "When will they be in stock?"

A:  "We don't know.  Call back in a couple of weeks and see if there are any available."

Q:  "Can I order one?"

A:  "No, we can't do that."

Q:  "Is there any way I can get notified when some are made?"

A:  "No."

So, I have a couple of options here.

First, I can cut off the front part of the top rail and use that since it is the same as the bottom rail.

Second, I can have a friend machine the bottom rail if I give him the top for his measurements.

Third, I can spend the rest of my life calling Smith and Wesson every couple of weeks in the hope that they made some and have one available.  Kind of like being blindfolded, turned around a couple of times then throwing a dart at where I think the dart board is, and if the dart hits center, then I get the rail.

Forth -- if someone here has that bottom rail that they don't want, I will take it at a fair price.

GG 

Edited by gargoil66

37 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

Could you buy a blank aftermarket and drill it ? I know no pretty but functional?

I have a bunch of rails sitting around but would need a mill to reduce their bases.  Then comes trying to get the three holes measured perfectly and then drilled perfectly using a basic wood working drill press.

May take it to a gunsmith I trust who can measure and drill the holes.  

Still tempted to just cut off the front end of the long rail.  Same thing as the lower rail from what I can tell.

Guess what?  When I spend a few hours bodging something I bet I will glance at a shelf and see the original rail.

Thanks for the idea though.  It is a very good option.

GG

18 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Just wait, you'll be looking for an old issue of Playboy magazine, and you'll find the rail. Trust me.

YRR:

A buddy of mine hacked off a piece of rail he had, drilled a couple of holes, and after bodging a few things, got it to fit.  Did so without damaging the threads in the barrel shroud too.  Not perfect but not Jethro Bodine either.  

I am convinced that if this were done in my "shop" that as soon as we got done with the hour it took to get things to work right, that we would glance at a shelf and see the original one.  Right where I last saw it when I said to myself "If you leave that rail there, you will never remember where it was".  

Maybe I will remove the rail and bodge another just so I can find the original one.

GG

2 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

YRR:

A buddy of mine hacked off a piece of rail he had, drilled a couple of holes, and after bodging a few things, got it to fit.  Did so without damaging the threads in the barrel shroud too.  Not perfect but not Jethro Bodine either.  

I am convinced that if this were done in my "shop" that as soon as we got done with the hour it took to get things to work right, that we would glance at a shelf and see the original one.  Right where I last saw it when I said to myself "If you leave that rail there, you will never remember where it was".  

Maybe I will remove the rail and bodge another just so I can find the original one.

GG

Just remember, everything is somewhere.

On 1/6/2023 at 11:14 PM, Joe4d said:

generally the best way to find something is to buy a new one.. will be sitting in plain sight soon as you walk in the door.

Another trick is to walk back through the door you came through while last thinking of something.  I've had it work up to an hour later, don't know about weeks?  Not fool proof but it does work.