Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 slide - frame fit

Pat B.

I have an old 75B..   I haven't looked at it in almost 10 years I'd bet..  Just found it in the back of the safe and compared it to the S2..  I'll bet money the old 75 has

3-4 TIMES better slide to frame fit than the new S2..  Which brings about some disappointment !

50 minutes ago, Pat B. said:

I have an old 75B..   I haven't looked at it in almost 10 years I'd bet..  Just found it in the back of the safe and compared it to the S2..  I'll bet money the old 75 has

3-4 TIMES better slide to frame fit than the new S2..  Which brings about some disappointment !

In that case it does sound like your S2 is looser than most. Now you’ll have to take the 75 and S2 to the range together and compare accuracy.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:16 AM, Pat B. said:

Curious if the average slide/frame fit is nice, a little loose, very loose, etc?  And how you think this effects accuracy, if at all...

Thanks!

Not something I care about

Shadows aren't custom-shop pistols.  They are nicer mass produced pistols designed for a sport in which ultimate accuracy isn't important.

In any case, describing the fit between the two parts with words such as "loose", "very loose", etc, is completely useless as someone's "little loose" is someone else's "perfect".

19 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

I have also found a variance in tolerance in all CZs, it is hit or miss.

What you're describing is called fit, not tolerance.

The only people who know how tightly a CZ slide should fit the frame is CZ because they are the only ones with the engineering information (nominal dimensions, linear tolerances, and geometric tolerances) needed to understand that.

55 minutes ago, jejb said:

Agreed. My S2 Orange is very tight. 

Absolutely!  And I'm sure those close fitted tolerances helped me achieve this level of accuracy.  Don't think I'd experience this with the standard, bushing less S2............

;)

3.5 N320 R3.png

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

What you're describing is called fit, not tolerance.

The only people who know how tightly a CZ slide should fit the frame is CZ because they are the only ones with the engineering information (nominal dimensions, linear tolerances, and geometric tolerances) needed to understand that.

Stuart can chime in here but I recall variances in slide width, dustcover width, etc. For instance, some frames had be opened up to accept CTS or BS slides, some did not. Some Shadow 2's are very tight, some are not. I went through 7 CZ75 variants and not all of them were equal in fit. I have found Beretta to be the same. There are variances in barrel OD, frame width, etc.

1 hour ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Stuart can chime in here but I recall variances in slide width, dustcover width, etc. For instance, some frames had be opened up to accept CTS or BS slides, some did not. Some Shadow 2's are very tight, some are not. I went through 7 CZ75 variants and not all of them were equal in fit. I have found Beretta to be the same. There are variances in barrel OD, frame width, etc.

I know all of this.  I'm just giving you the correct terminology.  I've been a mfg engineer for nearly 30 years and solved more assembly problems than I can remember.  It's my job.

Tolerance is the amount of deviation that is allowable from a nominal dimension before a part is rejectable.  No one knows what the tolerances are for any dimension unless you have the engineering drawing for the part.  There is the only place where tolerances are stated.  You cannot measure a bunch of parts and come up with a tolerance range.

Variation/variance/etc is the actual amount a measurement differs from a nominal dimension.  That variance can place a part in tolerance or out of tolerance.  Again you don't know if that part is within tolerance (good) or out of tolerance (not good) unless you have a part drawing to compare it to.

How loosely or tightly two parts fit together depends on more than just the tolerance of the individual dimensions.  Linear tolerances actually matter the least.  Nominal dimensions and geometric tolerances matter the most.  In most cases anyway.  BTW geometric tolerances are things like runout, concentricity, cylindricity, true position, etc.

I'm not going to speculate on the comments about fitting slides or barrels or what not.  Way too many variables and unknowns.

That's very informative. thanks. So basically just like the word "literally" - many people are throwing around the word "tolerance" when the actual word is "fit". If I were to reword my original statement: CZ's come in a variety of fittings, some tight and some loose, that would be correct?

P.S. I am a martial arts and music teacher, so I acknowledge your expertise in this lol

Edited by MuayThaiJJ

Hogrider, Excellent accuracy.  

JC, yeah, the term loose is relative.. This particular gun displays .010'' of lateral movement at the front of the slide. Clunk, clunk. 

However it seems reliable after about 400 rounds, no failures. 

Thanks for the comments..  

21 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

That's very informative. thanks. So basically just like the word "literally" - many people are throwing around the word "tolerance" when the actual word is "fit". If I were to reword my original statement: CZ's come in a variety of fittings, some tight and some loose, that would be correct?

You got it