Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire gun

TheChef1

I used to be very regimented and scheduled about all that kind of stuff. Then I realized it was sapping brain power, not making me better and actually making me a little superstitious. 

Now I have to look at serial numbers to tell one from another cause they are all same same to me.

• 4 weeks later...

with this bit of information, I'd like to ask a follow up question to this. Why is it that with some high-end limited guns or open guns some people will state things like "back up gun with low amounts of dryfire"? I've noticed this a lot lately when looking for a new toy and didn't understand as to why. Do they have some sort of secret that we don't know about? Maybe a 2011 thing? idk. 

Full disclosure, I don't even have a backup gun yet lol. But I'm working towards getting one and didn't know how to attack it. Probably looking too deep into a simple situation. 

Many people who view themselves as serious competitors have a gun that basically just serves two functions. 1. It lives in the house as a gun that just gets dry fired daily. 2. If your main gun goes down then you use it while the gun plumber fixes gun #1 aka the match gun.

So it's a common sense way I guess of explaining a gun with a crap load of holster wear and white residue on the grip but a relatively low round count of live fire.

And after a few years you sell the high round count gun, move the low round count gun up to main and keep the new one as the reserve.

That’s a good way of looking at it I suppose. I figured they used the dry fire gun as a back up as well but never did understand the reason as to why there’s a specific dry fire gun. I know some people are scared of certain parts break on certain platforms but I feel like there’s mitigating factors for all that. Like snap caps. 

19 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

why there’s a specific dry fire gun.

Just so that you can abuse it and not have that effect the gun you use for score. Of course you'd like both guns to be as exactly the same as possible. I did this for years and loved it. I turned a guest bedroom over to dry fire. So everything just lived in there, a spare timer, belt rig, mags, dummy rounds, dry fire targets, grip enhancer, training log, training books, and spare gun.

My whole goal when my family moved was to have a room to myself for reloading and dry fire. Long story short, the kids have a sweet play room 😂 

once the shed is done I hope to reorganize the garage and get a back up gun that’ll live in a small safe in there

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 12:41 PM, rowdyb said:

Just so that you can abuse it and not have that effect the gun you use for score. Of course you'd like both guns to be as exactly the same as possible. I did this for years and loved it. I turned a guest bedroom over to dry fire. So everything just lived in there, a spare timer, belt rig, mags, dummy rounds, dry fire targets, grip enhancer, training log, training books, and spare gun.

Same here,I have a lot of it setup on a av cart. So when we do have guests over night I just roll it into the closet.

one reason I try not use a match gun for dry fire is because for 6 months 4 days a week I was using a beretta 92 for dry fire practice and I went out to practice with it in live fire and the firing pin broke on the first shot.  So after that I started investing more in backup guns to use for dry fire and live fire practice.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use all the guns so that one isnt getting pounded constantly 

now practice is different story for just regular training i have one gun for it one for matches

i suppose it depends on the gun too

the 2011 style you can burn up sears dryfiring a lot

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I may revise this some point soon but i only just recently got the backup gun, but i continue to put all my practice and match rounds on the first gun, live or dry. i keep round count and session notes snd swap springs and such as needed but i figure the backup is just a backup. Least this way I got a real count on the gun getting beat up, and replace parts, then if a back up is needed in dire straits i know its truly a fresh gun and parts? Idk

Edited by rec0616

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...