Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not Glock?

skeeter

Steve I was thinking about you and those big hands wrapped around my revolver (oops this is sounding a little weird)what I mean is I think you would be an awesome revolver shooter with those big hands. You really rapped it out DA. Why not a Glock? It sure ain't holding back this wanna be B classer.

Way to go Shooter Grrl....straight and to the point.  Ok, IMO, quickly and for starters...

- simplicity of operation

- dependability and reliability

- availability of spare parts

- price... one could set up identical primary and backup guns for less money than a single gun on other platforms

Speaking form the perspective of a shooter with an STI in the safe and a glock on my belt, I KNOW WHY I switched.

RELIABILITY!  RELIABILITY! RELIABILITY!  

The downside(s).  mags that occasionally don't drop free, triggers that are mushier and can't go as low as I'd like, and brass that is too much work after a single firing.

So I did the math.  Losing .20 per reload, about  .02 per split on a long field course was about a second and a half.  Comparing that to my 3 to 5 second crashes with a Hi-Cap, say on El Pres or Clsoe Qtr Stds, and the choice was easy: GLOCK.

My experiences.....

Yours may vary,

Tom

The original post was why NOT Glock?

Not enough parts to break? Don't get to buy enough gunsmithing tools? Don't get to enjoy deciphering the "how to fit an AFTEC extractor" instructions?

Twix,

Hidden there was the answer(s).

"The downside(s).  mags that occasionally don't drop free, triggers that are mushier and can't go as low as I'd like, and brass that is too much work after a single firing. "

Tom

"WHY GLOCK"

Funny you should ask this question.  

I started shooting with a single stack 1911 in IDPA.  I then switched to a Glock in SSP in IDPA and recently started shooting Limited class IPSC with a G35 in our Atlanta Thurday night club.  

I recently bought a Para-Ordnance P-16 which has been 100% reliable.  However, my overall times are not faster than with the G35.  When I went to install some custom parts ("drop in parts") , it was such a major hassle that I kept asking myself and - "Why mess around with a 1911 - Glocks are so simple and reliable?"

I stuck the P-16 back into the safe and will give it to Joe D. to fix it for me and keep shooting the G35.  

. . . that's why I say yes to Glocks.  

• 2 weeks later...

Why not a glock,

I've seen 3 of them blow up and it is not pretty. I've seen a couple 1911's go too, not a bloody mess like the glock accidents were, just a ruined basepads and dirty hands. That is enough reason for me. BTW I carry a glock 23, but for this game the strength of a 1911 is enough for me and my 1911's go bang when I pull the trigger.

I think that too many tinkers give 1911's a bad rap for jams. 3 seasons of shooting a Craig built .38 super and no jams, and it was jam free the 3 years before I bought it.

LOL

Skeeter, please let me come shoot with you.

Not to be misunderstood, I think the glock is a good gun, but someone asked why not a Glock right?

I don't think guns generally go boom because of the design, but more likely because of poor reloading skills, but once you see the difference when it happens, it has an impact on how you feel about it. I am much more confident that my STI will hold together on a double than any plastic gun would.

Loves2, what did you tell to the persons you witnessed blowing their glock?

Quote: from Loves2Shoot on 3:45 pm on Dec. 20, 2002

I would venture to guess it was the reloader (person) that was defective.

I witnessed a para blown to pieces, that was a reload mistake. Barrel to pieces, frame bent beyond repair.

dvc

Adrie

Adrie,

2 of the people where from my local club and I offered them a bandaid and help them pick plasitc out of their face. The third was from a club where I didn't know the shooters I was shooting with so I didn't say anything. Glock told one of the local guys that the gun failed because he were shooting reloads in the Glock and that is not recommended, the other had a double we assumed, because bang was real loud, same with the third guy.

I saw a single stack go (the barrel lug sheared) and had a my kimber polymer go, and the shooters were not injured in either case, both guns were toast, but neither of the shooters were injured. That's not to say they couldn't have been hurt. So for me, if you are going to shoot a major caliber, I would stick with a gun that has a steel encased frame and a bull barrel. They just seem to have a greater tolerance for errors in pressure (doubles.)

I am not Glock bashing, just sharing my experience. Maybe they are as strong as a 1911, but for me I haven't seen that, and to me safety is a big deal. I had one gun go in my hands and I still think about it everytime I reload (I now have a 1050 and a station to check the powder level.)

ps. I know guy that blew up a brand new Tarus revolver with factory ammo when he was trying to make it go real fast too.

There is now doubt you only wanted to share your experiences and thoughts on Glocks.

And you do have a point that there is not much tolerance for major pf reloads in Glock. Safety is always the first and most important thing in reloading and shooting.

From the time we saw the Para blew up we (some other forum members also saw or heart it) we take care when that particular shooter is on deck because we doubt his reloading skills. (conclusion after offering to assist him to prevent other accidents)

My gunsmith exhibits a S&W revo in .44 which is blown to pieces (bursted cylinder, bent scope mount etc) while using factory (Fiochi) ammo.

So always take care.

Adrie

oh we've all seen handguns that have gone up in smoke. and i don't think any one style is better than an other. worst one i ever saw was a buddys .45 single stack most have been a doulble the gun was beyond repair. he had a real bad case of 38 super face and a cut on the palm of his hand where the wood grips went to pieces. then i've had a case let go when shooting my glock with lead bullets( even saw the remains a glock 30 at a local gun shop that came a part everywhere). if you take care to reload right you shouldn't have problems but as they say $hit happens

LOL, plastic grip, not frame, big difference.

Here is a funny one for you. During my practice for 2002 Racegun Nats I found my that my C-more wasn't staying tight because the plastic was melting on the steel frame. :( I had to sart bringing a cooler to practice.