Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dremel X5/Max mag well?

nitrohuck

I’ve found reloads constantly are getting caught in the mag well due to the rear of the magwell “hooking” the head stamp/rim of the round in the new mag as it goes in. 

got me wondering if anyone here has done any Dremel work to open up the inside of their X5/Max magwell, and if so, any tips, pictures, etc?

Just now, Rich406 said:

You can take out quite a bit of material if you want. At the end I fill the remainder of the holes for the mag well with epoxy and sand it  flat. 

0FB5BD7A-72CC-43FF-8098-B5F8DCB1B9C6.jpeg

WOW that’s a lot of material removed. Okay that gives me some hope, I’m just nervous to take a Dremel to my grip 

9 minutes ago, nitrohuck said:

WOW that’s a lot of material removed. Okay that gives me some hope, I’m just nervous to take a Dremel to my grip 

I would be careful on how much you remove.  TXG modules are very brittle.  Thus, they could crack and/or break easy if dropped or the magazine is smacked into the grip hard enough.  

1 minute ago, Boomstick303 said:

I would be careful on how much you remove.  TXG modules are very brittle.  Thus, they could crack and/or break easy if dropped or the magazine is smacked into the grip hard enough.  

good to know, I think that if I managed to round off the hard edge towards the back of the magwell that should probably be good enough to fix the majority of the hangups w the mag going in 

1 minute ago, Boomstick303 said:

The grip from one of my practice guns disagrees…

I’ve never had a single issue in 4 years and 250k+ rounds

6CE93ADA-84E1-4812-A752-EF648AAA630E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Ever drop it?

I would say you have got your money's worth out of that rig.

Actually no, I’ve never dropped a gun ever. (maybe I’m jinxing myself here..)

It wouldn’t concern me if I did drop it though. It’s possible something might break, but in my experience, the txg grip is the same durability as polymer. 

That grip easily has 10k dry reloads through it, I don’t see any reason why it won’t take 10k+ more. 

Good point.  

I have once with it empty, and it happened to be my 2011.  Dropped out of the holster during a walk through in practice.  It was a normal Kydex holster which I have since installed a CAM lever to prevent it from happening again.  Broke it in properly.  

30 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Good point.  

I have once with it empty, and it happened to be my 2011.  Dropped out of the holster during a walk through in practice.  It was a normal Kydex holster which I have since installed a CAM lever to prevent it from happening again.  Broke it in properly.  

Gotcha. I bought one of those cam lever holsters to hopefully decrease my odds of that happening. I just have to program myself to operate the cam. Not quite automatic yet.