Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Idpa Match

Cosby

NONE OF IT IS REAL!!!!!

If you want real, go out and shoot paintball, it's a blast and the targets SHOOT BACK!

IDPA and USPSA are sports and meant for fun. Not becoming a commando!!!

IDPA-A24470

USPSA-A18138

I shoot both for the trigger time!!! Also incase there is an invasion from another planet!!!! :blink::blink:

One cool thing, Iron Mike that runs the IDPA group in central TX is cool to all the USPSA guys!

My apologies that you were met with someone serving an inappropriate and incorect personal agenda by a match director.

I like to hypothesize some times.... "so this isn't a game" "how is one sport which shoots holes in card board any more or less real than another" " i respect your right to an opinion, please respect my right to have a dissenting opinion"

when called a gamer by IDPA people if i know them my general reply is "does gamer mean better shooter?" by someone i don't know "we are all gamers... this is a game" some others "better a gamer than a loser" "life is a game, play hard or sit on the bench" there are no SAFETY officers in real gun fights, ever been in one? (important cut them off before they say "no have you")

I like all sorts of games, in karate competition no correlation can be made between tournament fighting and street fighting yet so many try. same with IDPA. Everyone wants to be the alpha male, but some of us would rather BE the alpha male than try to get others to think we are..... that is why we practice.

no matter where you go you will find rude and uneducated people, just accept them as such and move on, both of you will be happier with the outcome.

i have only shot i.d.p.a., only negative thing i have ever heard about USPSA is the shooters are just a bit more serious, and not as much bs'n going on the side as we tend to do,{ don't know if it is true, just saying what goes on in the discussion} and honestly i would not want to hear any bashing about the sport because it is just trigger time, i fall back into "that's why the make ford, and that's why they make Chevy" different strokes for different folks

i find it immature and self centered to bash each other, just because a person likes one more than the other doesn't mean it is superior

i shoot i.d.p.a. because that is what is most available to shoot where i live, when i get a chance i will shoot uspsa, maybe i will like it, maybe i won't, but regardless i will still respect it as a shooting sport, i don't care for trap and skeet, but i do see the attraction

Most of what I hear is good natured ribbing back and forth. We're all brothers with common interest. There's nothing constructive about ripping each other apart. That said, both games are what they are. Problems arise when people want to mold or reshape one to be closer to the other. They both exist for a reason. Different games for different mindsets and we're usually attracted to one more than the other for that reason.

Less Yakkin' and more Kakkin'!

I'm new to IDPA, but have shot at 4 different clubs in the last few months. And I've never encountered this "mall ninja mentality" that some of folks seems to think is rampant in IDPA.

Everyone I've come across is very clear that IDPA is a game. Sure we IDPA shooters think it's more "practical" than USPSA for self defense. Most, including me, seem to think that the practicality comes not so much use of cover or reloads in IDPA but for the use of carry gear and (mostly) production guns, low round count stages, not walking through the stage beforehand, etc.

I also think someone was right when they said that IDPA shooters think USPSA shooters take it a little too seriously. Also IDPA shooters have the idea that in USPSA if its not expressly prohibited then it's ok, even if it goes against what the stage designer intended (IE looking for loopholes in the stage design to exploit).

But let me state again that I've not run into the "delusional mall ninjas" at IDPA that someone else mentioned.

...in USPSA if its not expressly prohibited then it's ok, even if it goes against what the stage designer intended (IE looking for loopholes in the stage design to exploit).
Leo - Take this in the context of coming from a loyal IDPA shooter (since '98) who also shoots USPSA.

USPSA/IPSC stages are given to the shooter to shoot as s/he feels it should be done, as long as it's safe. The "intent of the stage designer" goes no farther than this. The only restriction is that stages are supposed to be "revolver friendly", and that concept is regularly violated in both USPSA and IDPA. I know, I'm mainly a revolver shooter. :rolleyes:

FWIW, IDPA stages tend to be less choreographed now than in the past.

You can call then Mall Ninjas, I call them Butt heads. They are not unique to IDPA. They are everywhere.

You find them at IDPA matches, you find them at USPSA matches, you find them in Car dealerships, you find them in the grocery store, hell, I even had someone try to tell me what beer was the best (that guy was really stupid)

Everywhere you go you will find someone that knows everything about what you want to do. Last time I had one that was persistent at a match (Won't say what sport) I told him (and it is usually a male) to just leave me alone, if I wanted instruction I would take a course from someone that knows a lot more than he did. (he kind of pissed me off)

Keep shooting, ignore the butt heads, and have a good time. Remember, Stupidity can be a fatal disease. ;)

Regards,