Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie needs help!

Fireant

I am in the process of buying a SV Limited gun. My first "real" Race gun. I am trying to get everyones opinion about holster/mag pouches/belt combos. I have shot in USPSA before, but with a G35 when they first came out, so holster options was basically just one kydex model.

I am deathly afraid of my gun falling out, so security is numero uno on my list of options. Second is speed. I would like this combo to last a while, so ruggedness is also necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Brian

I'm in the same spot as you, I had been shooting idpa now I moved to uspsa, I shot a few times in production and limited 10, well I got a STI and what I bought is..

ghost holster

safrialand mag pouches

I was deathly afraid of my gun falling out also, but once you "lock" it in it's not going no where, no way. That's not to say that you might forget to lock it, and I don't think that any of the holster choices really will prevent brain farts, except maybe the Limcat which when you push the gun into it if you push it down far enough it will lock automaticaly.

The only bad thing I can say about the ghost is that you have to drill a 1/8" hole in your trigger gaurd, but you bought the gun to shoot it not to look at it right?

I will be intrested in the replies that you get on this question, hopefully I will learn a thing or two myself...

sno

I'll vote for the Safariland 012.  Its the only race holster I've ever owned.  I use it with my SV limited blaster.  There is zero play and I have not once had it fall out or anything.  Based on its performance, I have no use or desire to use anything else.

Oh, and 773 mag pouches.

• 2 months later...

I think I want to shoot my G21 in ISPC production.  What changes am I allowed to make to my gun, what would you suggest, should I make more changes and shoot limited 10, and would a Bianchi PDQ holster be O.K. for production( I'm trying to keep the cost down at the beginning)?

Thanks

I think I want to shoot my G21 in ISPC production.  What changes am I allowed to make to my gun, what would you suggest, should I make more changes and shoot limited 10, and would a Bianchi PDQ holster be O.K. for production( I'm trying to keep the cost down at the beginning)?

Thanks

Is this the holster?

81_pdq.jpg

I don't know if that would be considered a "competition holster" or not.  I am sure people will question that.  You might just go to a match and see.  If it is a problem, offer to shoot for "no score".  Then go pick up a Fobus or Uncle Mike's for about $20.  (I have shot some of my best classifers scores with the cheaper holsters.)

On the G21, you can only make extenal modification with other stock Glock (factory) parts.  So, no extended mag release in Production. (The release in the G21 is the longest that Glock offers.)

You can change the sights to any "square post and notch" variety.  I like Heinie's and Novak's.

You can put in a 3.5# connector.  You can change the recoil rod and spring.  Some other internal stuff...as long as the guns weight doesn't go more than 2oz over the stock weight.

I'd likey just go shoot it.  The only things I'd think about changing would be the sights and going to a 3.5# connector.

Is this the holster?

81_pdq.jpg

I don't know if that would be considered a "competition holster" or not.  I am sure people will question that.  You might just go to a match and see.  If it is a problem, offer to shoot for "no score".  Then go pick up a Fobus or Uncle Mike's for about $20.  (I have shot some of my best classifers scores with the cheaper holsters.)

On the G21, you can only make extenal modification with other stock Glock (factory) parts.  So, no extended mag release in Production. (The release in the G21 is the longest that Glock offers.)

You can change the sights to any "square post and notch" variety.  I like Heinie's and Novak's.

You can put in a 3.5# connector.  You can change the recoil rod and spring.  Some other internal stuff...as long as the guns weight doesn't go more than 2oz over the stock weight.

I'd likey just go shoot it.  The only things I'd think about changing would be the sights and going to a 3.5# connector.

The holster ought to be legal since it's out of the duty or concealment section of the Bianchi catalog, has a thumb snap and puts the butt of the gun almost in the shooters armpit.  (Yeah, I've shot a G-19 out of one in IDPA)  If anyone gives you guff about the holster, politely argue the above.....

The holster ought to be legal since it's out of the duty or concealment section of the Bianchi catalog, has a thumb snap and puts the butt of the gun almost in the shooters armpit.  (Yeah, I've shot a G-19 out of one in IDPA)  If anyone gives you guff about the holster, politely argue the above.....

I remember something in a previous Front Sight where they were talking about the need to standardize on production holsters.  They said something about requiring the holster to cover the barrel up to the ejection port.  Don't know if they've implemented that, or even if they will, but I do recall seeing that in print somewhere.

I remember something in a previous Front Sight where they were talking about the need to standardize on production holsters.  They said something about requiring the holster to cover the barrel up to the ejection port.  Don't know if they've implemented that, or even if they will, but I do recall seeing that in print somewhere.

flexmoney,

That is the holster.  I picked up a used one for about $20.  I thought it would work.  Would it be O.K. in another division?  Is the thumb snap a big deal?  I know I'd have to draw with the snap closed.  Is a barrel change allowed in production?  I have a KKM that I'd like use in it.

Thanks

flexmoney,

That is the holster.  I picked up a used one for about $20.  I thought it would work.  Would it be O.K. in another division?  Is the thumb snap a big deal?  I know I'd have to draw with the snap closed.  Is a barrel change allowed in production?  I have a KKM that I'd like use in it.

Thanks

Fireant,

Somebody will likely give you some static about that holster...not because they are being picky, just because it looks like it could be a race holster.  

Ironically, there is a thread going on in the rules section about how it is hard for the RO's (range officers) to be 'all knowing' about every possible piece of equipment out there.

Bottom line...tell them it's your first Production match and that is the only holster you have available.  Then tell them Nik said it was OK.  ;)

On the barrel...I have been waiting and waiting for somebody to ask if they could put an aftermarket into their Production gun.  I really don't know.  I feel that it would be OK.  There doesn't appear to be anything in the rule book that would make that illegal.  You can't put in a bull-barrel (or any weighted barrel).

I had an email conversation going (back and forth) with John Amidon a few months back.  We were talking about a slightly different subject.  I think we might mentioned the after-market barrel in Production division...maybe that is why I feel it is OK.

[edit] I don't see any advantage to using an after-market barrel.  I thinkit would be an "internal modification to increase accuracy and reliability"...which would be legal.

Fireant,

Somebody will likely give you some static about that holster...not because they are being picky, just because it looks like it could be a race holster.  

Ironically, there is a thread going on in the rules section about how it is hard for the RO's (range officers) to be 'all knowing' about every possible piece of equipment out there.

Bottom line...tell them it's your first Production match and that is the only holster you have available.  Then tell them Nik said it was OK.  ;)

On the barrel...I have been waiting and waiting for somebody to ask if they could put an aftermarket into their Production gun.  I really don't know.  I feel that it would be OK.  There doesn't appear to be anything in the rule book that would make that illegal.  You can't put in a bull-barrel (or any weighted barrel).

I had an email conversation going (back and forth) with John Amidon a few months back.  We were talking about a slightly different subject.  I think we might mentioned the after-market barrel in Production division...maybe that is why I feel it is OK.

[edit] I don't see any advantage to using an after-market barrel.  I thinkit would be an "internal modification to increase accuracy and reliability"...which would be legal.

Flex,

Here is an example of the problem I mentioned in the "RO" thread.

Newbie buys a G21 and the first question is "What can I change" (no offence Fireant - you're just being used as an example).

I don't know what it is about shooters (or is it guys?). Can you imagine if we treated our women the same?

Hey, I just got a new girlfriend, so what should I change?

Bigger boobs? Longer legs? Send her to cooking class? Collagen for her lips?

:)

Vince,

It must be a guy thing.  The first thing I did when I got a new Truck was to see what I could change to get more horsepower.  Anything stock is common.  Why be like everyone else?