Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mental Block

Murzikrv

Walking the stage. Planing the stage. Running in my head sever times.

Timer sounds and all goes to hell. Literally shooting first target I see and as a result keep missing targets completely.

Any advise how to deal with that ?

Next to visualisation & air gunning I recommend to have a process and a focus phrase (cfr. Steve Anderson) to clear the conscious mind and focus. The execution of the stage plan needs to be subconscious. My focus phrase after command "Are you ready" is "Shoot Alpha's Fast".

These videos might be of interest too: 

The stage prep/writing of the stage plan to short term memory will change as you gain experience and reps.  One thing that helped me as a relatively new shooter (Total new shooter through B class) was basic numbers of positions on the ground.  This was facilitated by the fact that I shot production and reloads often go hand in hand with positions.

For example, in a complex 32 round long field course, map out position 1, 2, 3, etc. and literally where you want your feet to go (ideally).  For positions that aren't as forgiving, identify a reference point on the ground or other nearby physical reference point.  For example:

-Buzzer, standard wrist below belt draw

-I will move to this corner and put my right foot on the fault line right near this stake, that is my position 1.

-Then I will move to this port and try to index my first engagement where the gun is just to the left of the right side of the port

-Then I will move to the middle of the stage and use a visual aid of this popper being revealed to the right of this wall.

You can try and tack on # of targets you will engage at each position but as a beginner, if you can hit your positions/marks, it should be enough to get you going.

Hope this help,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 7:35 PM, Murzikrv said:

Walking the stage. Planing the stage. Running in my head sever times.

Timer sounds and all goes to hell. Literally shooting first target I see and as a result keep missing targets completely.

Any advise how to deal with that ?

MZ:

Something is stressing you out that is overwhelming your ability to function -- situational awareness.  I would bet it is fear of failing, fear of missing target arrays, fear of being DQ'd because you violated a rule.  How about fear of being seen as incompetent by fellow competitors because you stumble and hesitate?  Once the timer starts, your mind goes blank because you think you should have memorized the course of fire and you didn't.   I was never real good at Kims Games so join the club.

If the issues I outlined above are yours, here is my advice because I have been there and it worked pretty well for me and others.

Set a goal for yourself that you will attend X number of matches with the sole intent of learning how they are run and to note patterns in the scenarios.  Accept that for these matches you will be slow, awkward, and will miss things others didn't.  You have dedicated these matches to learning how you can best succeed and winning or losing is not even part of it right now.  Success can be quantified via scores and qualified via your confidence in your ability for the next match you enter.

As you see scores going up and patterns developing, you will become a lot more comfortable and your short term memory will no longer be filled with anxiety over what may happen which means it will be open for you to try different things including memorizing stages.  And soon enough these confidence matches will shift into competitions.

GG

• 4 months later...
On 10/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, gargoil66 said:

MZ:

Something is stressing you out that is overwhelming your ability to function -- situational awareness.  I would bet it is fear of failing, fear of missing target arrays, fear of being DQ'd because you violated a rule.  How about fear of being seen as incompetent by fellow competitors because you stumble and hesitate?  Once the timer starts, your mind goes blank because you think you should have memorized the course of fire and you didn't.   I was never real good at Kims Games so join the club.

If the issues I outlined above are yours, here is my advice because I have been there and it worked pretty well for me and others.

Set a goal for yourself that you will attend X number of matches with the sole intent of learning how they are run and to note patterns in the scenarios.  Accept that for these matches you will be slow, awkward, and will miss things others didn't.  You have dedicated these matches to learning how you can best succeed and winning or losing is not even part of it right now.  Success can be quantified via scores and qualified via your confidence in your ability for the next match you enter.

As you see scores going up and patterns developing, you will become a lot more comfortable and your short term memory will no longer be filled with anxiety over what may happen which means it will be open for you to try different things including memorizing stages.  And soon enough these confidence matches will shift into competitions.

GG

Such a great advice. Thank you for sharing!

We've all been there, planning and doing a run through of the COF 10x but after the beep all hell breaks lose.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:54 AM, midatlantic said:

I have to visualize the act of shooting each target. It’s not a cure all but it’s helped me out.

Not only shooting every target but also exactly visulize where you want to hit the target.  You should visualize exactly where you want your eyes to go on the target which includes where on the target the dot or sights should be for the distance of the target.  This takes into account height over bore, partial targets, no shoots, etc.  I have found I score better points and have fewer penalties when I do this.  

If your visualization program is shoot at brown that is what you are going to do.  This does not work to be successful in every division, and tends to lead to more errors and penalties.  

For the original poster setting goals is a good idea.  Like mentioned above even if it means slowing down to avoid missing targets.  Something else to consider is I see this happen to me and other more seasoned shooters is distractions typically eject that memorization/visualization out of the brain.  Things like missed reloads, missed draws, ejecting a mag out of the gun on table starts etc, get your brain out of sorts, and can lead to train wrecks for a stage run.  You can create scenarios in training to create a distraction and continue with the stage after correcting the issue.  

You can incorporate visualization in Dry fire.  Some have room to build complete stages.  For some dry fire training all I do is visualization training.  You can "dry fire" visualization without even picking up a gun. If you don't have the space you can use items on the shelves, counter and walls, like switches and outlets to create stages.   Visualize that "Stage" and run it using a timer.  in the later method make sure you visualize your eyes going to the center of the object that is the "target".  Visualization is a brain skill.  It needs to be trained to be competent.  Treat it like a match.  Make a quick sketch of the "Stage" using the household items.  Then "walk" the stage.  Then visualize it.  Once that is done put the stage on the clock like you would if you were going to shoot it.  You can choose to use a gun, or just use your hand.  

Possibly a couple of things to try.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Your stage planning and visualization will become better over time. Make sure you can visualize shooting the stage with your eyes closed 10-20x without a single hitch. Like none of "oh where was that next target at". It takes a lot of visualization reps to truly make a stage plan subconscious.