Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.8, vs 6.5 grendle vs 6 arc

Joe4d

Which round do you is gonna win out in the midrange AR15 round contest and which will be the next Betamax ? far as factory ammo ?

The Army has gone to a 6.8 but different case, 6.5 grendle might get a boost from creedmore popularity,  6mm ARC a bit of a range edge ?

Shot them all. For mid range, toss a coin.

6.8SPC is pretty much dead for factory ammo. Doubt the military's adoption of the new platform will be nearly as widespread as Sig and youtubers would have you believe and I doubt even more that it will revive the SPC. Grendel has been around longer than Creedmoor and it's popularity has always been a slow burn and will never see an explosion, but I bet it will be around for a long time yet. Same for 6mm Grendel, now repackaged and introduced as 6ARC by people that stand to make a profit by pretending it's new and exciting.

I'm  Grendel fan. It's accurate, effective on deer, efficient and now has lots of factory ammo options.   

The 6.8 SPC was hyped well beyond reality.  It has nothing to do with the Army's new cartridge except bullet diameter.

I haven't  tried the ARC. I'm  not a long range shooter and it won't make a difference at the ranges I shoot.

not legal for my uses. I did look at it and ballistics are nice,,, 90 gr bullets on up there in velocity

3 hours ago, Cnickolas said:

I’d look at the 224 Valkyrie. Match ammo is plentiful and cheap. 

I’m running a 6 arc in a bolt gun. It’s essentially factory 6BR. Love it. But ammo availability has been challenging the past few months. 

I had a 6.5 grendel with a satern barrel it was very accurate dm match dried up so I sold it I have a 6 arc now it shoots factory eld ok not great I need to figure out the load data . So whats mid range? I have a 223 with a 20 in larue barrel and I have never had a problem hitting targets out to 700 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an inexpensive Grendel bolt gun to see how it works for NRA HP Metallic Silhouette.  I looked at the ARC and saw noting there to make me give up my 6BR. The Grendel has a lot of bullet choices, Lapua makes brass for it and a good barrel life.  I don't require a hot rod to do my thing so the Grendel seems to be the logical choice. 

I have all three plus 224V. I suggest that 6ARC will "win" as Hornady is much better at marketing and following up on products. I have a 22inch AR upper in 6ARC and I am using the factory Hornady ammo plus resizing 65GR for brass. 6.8 has a following for hunting especially hogs or short range deer. 

@Merlin Orr,

How has the Grendel done for you on the 500m Rams?  Are you using any special ammo for them?

When I was doing load development for my Dad, I was able to get a decent for me group on the static ram at the range. They were all in the heart lung area of the Silhouette. This was running Hornady Black with the 123g ELDM.

11 hours ago, Modoc said:

@Merlin Orr,

How has the Grendel done for you on the 500m Rams?  Are you using any special ammo for them?

When I was doing load development for my Dad, I was able to get a decent for me group on the static ram at the range. They were all in the heart lung area of the Silhouette. This was running Hornady Black with the 123g ELDM.

Not to be a wiseass... 🙂  Better than my 6BR with 107s and not as good as my 7-08 with 158s. Totally depends on the set of the Ram. If your match director (or setters) are old school and set the front or center rail it can be iffy. With a decent (per the book) set they fall.  This is based on limited experiences as I have only a little data at his time. Figure the PF like a USPSA of IDPA shooter and you can get a good idea of knockdown. Load the 123s to about ~2400 and it beats any (sane) 6BR PF - which is a winner in a number of recent majors. For Sure - Just my opinion.

Liking the 6.5 grendle II  and Hornady 123SST's for my use out to 300 meters. Uppers are pretty reasonable considering I have a lower with a good trigger.
Gonna need to ask anyway,,, But assuming I get a complete with bolt upper would I need a different spring and buffer than a standard milspec M-4 ?

On 9/9/2022 at 11:51 AM, Joe4d said:

Liking the 6.5 grendle II  and Hornady 123SST's for my use out to 300 meters. Uppers are pretty reasonable considering I have a lower with a good trigger.
Gonna need to ask anyway,,, But assuming I get a complete with bolt upper would I need a different spring and buffer than a standard milspec M-4 ?

Depends. How is your barrel gassed?

Radical, but maybe I am wrong,, will go check as all I see them selling is pistol gas... I will say mine has been flawless on everything from hornady 123's to S&B 208's, May have had a couple failure to eject on the 208's but I run a brass catch bag,, so not positive it was the bag or the round... Gas system is about 5" so I was wrong,, 
I remember when I was shopping for a basic M-4 style or M16 style, old school military sights,, and specified it needed to take a standard M-7 bayonet and chuckle heads kept trying to sell me carbine gas length 16" guns and couldnt grasp that because it had a lug it wouldnt take a bayonet. In fact would get down right belligerent when I simply responded, "Thanks, not what I am shopping for"

Edited by Joe4d