Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wife just started USPSA, tore her bicep

moose97

I've only been shooting USPSA since the beginning of this year & got my wife to try at a match in June. She was signed up for a couple more in July, then tore her bicep on her shooting arm on the 4th of July. She absolutely loved the one match she got to shoot & had to go back to spectating for my last match. She WASN'T happy. Now she's upset about the recovery time & that I want to continue shooting while she can't. Anyone have experience with either the torn bicep or shooting with someone who goes on the IL while they keep shooting? 

Torn bicep ... Been there, done that.  Don't mess around!  Follow her doctor's advice and physical therapy.  Mine was tron half-way through.  Had I ignored medical advice and it had torn the rest of the way then repair efforts and recovery time would have grown exponentially!

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Torn bicep ... Been there, done that.  Don't mess around!  Follow her doctor's advice and physical therapy.  Mine was tron half-way through.  Had I ignored medical advice and it had torn the rest of the way then repair efforts and recovery time would have grown exponentially!

How long were you off shooting? Doctors missed the tear for almost a month & she just got the MRI yesterday. Meets with the orthopedic surgeon next week. 

At least one shooter I know injured his strong hand, so while his hand was healing, he shot weak hand.

Perhaps your wife could shoot weak hand until healed.

At least she would be doing more than spectating.

23 hours ago, moose97 said:

How long were you off shooting? Doctors missed the tear for almost a month & she just got the MRI yesterday. Meets with the orthopedic surgeon next week. 

My tear and surgical repair was rather serious.  I was off virtually EVERYTHING for about 3 months.  (It was discovered during a rotator cuff repair.)  The combination made it difficult to eat with my right hand!  It took another 3 months or so before I could use my right arm effectively.  But as I said, mine was a rather serious tear.

Have your wife follow medical advice and definitely GO to PT!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, moose97 said:

I've only been shooting USPSA since the beginning of this year & got my wife to try at a match in June. She was signed up for a couple more in July, then tore her bicep on her shooting arm on the 4th of July. She absolutely loved the one match she got to shoot & had to go back to spectating for my last match. She WASN'T happy. Now she's upset about the recovery time & that I want to continue shooting while she can't. Anyone have experience with either the torn bicep or shooting with someone who goes on the IL while they keep shooting? 

First the Arizona thing and now this?

Jesus that sucks.  Please give her my best wishes.

14 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

First the Arizona thing and now this?

Jesus that sucks.  Please give her my best wishes.

Ortho decided no surgery, just PT. She can get back to dry fire as she tolerates, but she's super bummed. I'll tell her you said hi. 

On 8/6/2022 at 9:42 AM, moose97 said:

Anyone have experience with either the torn bicep or shooting with someone who goes on the IL while they keep shooting? 

No answer for that but I do have another idea for you and her.  Get her into an RO class.  She can RO until she is no longer injured. It keeps her involved with the sport and gives her something to do while you shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Big opportunity to practice one handed stuff. She will murder people on weak hand stages if she trains that way for the 3 months she has. 

I bet if you post in the classifieds you could find someone to donate or loan you a lefty holster for whatever gun she uses.

Edited by waktasz

• 4 weeks later...