Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Appendix carry, how do you carry more than one mag?

Twilk73

I’m running an appendix rig. I keep one spare mag appendix. I completely blew a stage the other day ran out of ammo before my last target. 

So you guys running appendix how are you carrying more than one mag. 

Edited by Twilk73

I shoot ssp. So I have 15 in each mag and don't need more than the one. So I use a tier 1 concealment.

When I shoot ccp I use a tenicor holster with 2 separate tenicor mag pouches. I only wear a 31" waist pant so it gets kinda crowded but it's how I do it.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I shoot ssp. So I have 15 in each mag and don't need more than the one. So I use a tier 1 concealment.

When I shoot ccp I use a tenicor holster with 2 separate tenicor mag pouches. I only wear a 31" waist pant so it gets kinda crowded but it's how I do it.

I should have specified, I am in carry optics, so I get 10-11 rounds. And I run my spare mag in the appendix location. I just haven’t found out how to carry a second spare mag. Sure in my pocket works but that’s not ideal, I’m trying to win. Most stages are 18 rounds, so I could just not miss lol. I’ve only needed that second mag 1 time and it was in my last match. 

Honestly, carrying a spare mag appendix slows down my draw slightly because I’m always concerned I’m going to knock it out when grabbing my shirt so I grab a little higher. 

What I’m saying is I’m not opposed to carrying the mag in another way. I need ideas, none of my ideas are working to maximize speed and efficiency. 

My gun is at 2 in its own holster, non sidecar or attached mag pouch. Then at 10 and 11 I have two separate mag pouches iwb. Make ready mag comes from my pocket.

I lose no time going to under my shirt vs inside a vest.

49 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

My gun is at 2 in its own holster, non sidecar or attached mag pouch. Then at 10 and 11 I have two separate mag pouches iwb. Make ready mag comes from my pocket.

I lose no time going to under my shirt vs inside a vest.

Right, my gun is at 12:30 my spare mag is at 11:30, I can carry another spare mag at 11. All that becomes cramped and makes reloads and the draw slower.  I currently keep the spare mag canted away from the gun and I give it ample space. Everything is inside the waistband. Maybe I could put one on the left pocket on a clip so my second back up can at least develop a consistent draw from the pocket. I don’t want to need the second back up, reach in my pocket, look at orientation and then insert. So I need away to carry it around 10-11 that doesn’t cramp everything else. Or just a way to carry a second or both spare mages differently. 

If you are trying to win then you are not necessarily trying to duplicate some real world carry setup. Is that a correct assumption?

If that is true then why not carry your spare mags the way 90% IDPA shooters carry them and put them on your belt OWB?

Or just space out what you have and practice.

You have two paths, change your gear (and its postioining a bit) or change your technique. 

As someone who has been top ten in my division at idpa nats and been a DC like 6 times across 3 divisions aiwb had little draw back if you set it up right and refine your technique. 

Trying to force a square solution into a round problem simply because it's what you want will not lead to success. 

I prime my students with the saying, "growth doesn't happen without change." If you're trying to grow your skills at this you likely need to change some things...

7 hours ago, ddc said:

If you are trying to win then you are not necessarily trying to duplicate some real world carry setup. Is that a correct assumption?

If that is true then why not carry your spare mags the way 90% IDPA shooters carry them and put them on your belt OWB?

Or just space out what you have and practice.

This is possibly the dilemma. I’m only on my fourth match coming up but I’m putting the work in and locally I’m doing well. I started IDPA wanting to gleam a tactical advantage and get some sort of action style shooting in.  I was thinking overall it could help in the real world. So I’ve been using a real world setup. And I’ve honestly been trying to keep it that way. However, after that very first match I felt the rush of competition and fun take over. 

When I venture into a higher level of competition I guess I’ll be forced to start using high speed mag carriers and magnets. Possibly an OWB style holster. 

I guess at some point I’m going to have to come to terms with the fact that IDPA is really a game and to play at the high level I’m going to need to change out of my really world setup. 

7 hours ago, Twilk73 said:

This is possibly the dilemma. I’m only on my fourth match coming up but I’m putting the work in and locally I’m doing well. I started IDPA wanting to gleam a tactical advantage and get some sort of action style shooting in.  I was thinking overall it could help in the real world. So I’ve been using a real world setup. And I’ve honestly been trying to keep it that way. However, after that very first match I felt the rush of competition and fun take over. 

When I venture into a higher level of competition I guess I’ll be forced to start using high speed mag carriers and magnets. Possibly an OWB style holster. 

I guess at some point I’m going to have to come to terms with the fact that IDPA is really a game and to play at the high level I’m going to need to change out of my really world setup. 

I get it. I think that coming in many have an idea about using their every day rig.

As you mentioned once they get a taste then often their thoughts turn more towards their competitive situation.

Not everybody. There are those who remain true to their EDC origins. That's what works for them and that's great.

I respect that mindset but it doesn't work for me.

My personal approach is that I have two different goals: EDC and competition. Therefore two different rigs.

There is no one right answer for everybody.

9 hours ago, ddc said:

I get it. I think that coming in many have an idea about using their every day rig.

As you mentioned once they get a taste then often their thoughts turn more towards their competitive situation.

Not everybody. There are those who remain true to their EDC origins. That's what works for them and that's great.

I respect that mindset but it doesn't work for me.

My personal approach is that I have two different goals: EDC and competition. Therefore two different rigs.

There is no one right answer for everybody.

Exactly, it’s defensive training or it’s a game skirting the lines of a race setup covered by a vest. 

Thanks for all the great info guys. It will be well used. This forum in general has been very receptive to my multiple questions. Hopefully I can start contributing soon. 

Or you were at a match that has an "outlaw" division or a very loose reading of NFC rules. For example I've shot my full on uspsa rig at a local idpa match. Illegal gun and belt set up and no concealment. Someone being new could have looked at me and then said "well I saw it at a match..."

4 hours ago, ddc said:

Were you at a USPSA match? Legal for USPSA.

No but I know the guy shoots USPSA. I’m not nitpicking him, it was just a local match. He stated it was legal for retaining a tac reload. I was skeptical but again this was just a local match anyway. The guy was wearing what looked like the same gear you would find at a USPSA match. 

1. 8.6.1.3  Magnets worn on belts or in concealment garments may not substitute traditional carriers.

2. 8.6.1.4  Spare ammunition is considered stowed when it is secured in an approved carrier, or a pocket. After the start

signal, magazines optionally may be stowed inside the belt. Spare or partial devices are not considered stowed in a shooters hand, armpit, mouth or similar scheme.

There is a family group, Dad and two Juniors, seen at one of my IDPA match ranges wearing full fig USPSA rigs and none say them nay.

I guess their money and head count are worth more than quaint little rules.

I use 2 dark star gear koala pouches. There is adjustment in the height and angle. Would that setup work better for you?  

I have both of mine set to be the same height as the top of the slide and at a negative cant.  They don't affect my draw at all 

On 8/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, Twilk73 said:

I seen one used to retain a magazine, is that allowed? 

No, it isn't.  Whatever you see going on at a local IDPA match is zero evidence of legality/adherence to the rules.

As a USPSA RO I am constantly shocked at the pathetically low level of knowledge and enforcement of rules by the SOs at the local IDPA matches.

3 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

I use 2 dark star gear koala pouches. There is adjustment in the height and angle. Would that setup work better for you?  

I have both of mine set to be the same height as the top of the slide and at a negative cant.  They don't affect my draw at all 

Ill check that setup out when I get a chance tonight. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

No, it isn't.  Whatever you see going on at a local IDPA match is zero evidence of legality/adherence to the rules.

As a USPSA RO I am constantly shocked at the pathetically low level of knowledge and enforcement of rules by the SOs at the local IDPA matches.

I figured this was the case. I asked because the guy claims he read the rule book and it says he can have it. I haven’t even read the whole rule book. I’ll do it this winter if that sounds like a good idea. Right now I’m just focused on progress shooting and getting my gear dialed in. I have a lot on my plate and come winter time I’ll be shooting less. 

30 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I am going to post pics of me with 3 different set ups with 2 mags aiwb.

That would be awesome. 

Just now, Twilk73 said:

I haven’t even read the whole rule book.

You don't need to read the whole thing to start, but there are sections that you do need to know pretty soon after you start.

Find the sections related to equipment, safety, and how to shoot a stage.  Learn those first.  Worry about the rest later, if at all. 

I don't know their rulebook as well as I know USPSA's (since I'm a USPSA RO) but for USPSA be very familiar with  chapters 5, 8, and 10 to begin with.

7 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Yeah, night and day difference between the two sports.