Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use AA7 for a minor load

jsykes

I just sold my open gun, didn’t think it would ever happen, but, you know, life dictated I pay some bills. 

That said, I now have about 12 pounds or so of AA7 and nearly 8000 124gr PD jhps that I’d like to use up. I know it’s not the ideal load, but hey, I got them and I’m sure I can make a usable load with them. I’ll see if I can unload the AA7 locally, but in the meantime give this a shot. 

Just thought I’d see if anyone else has ever tried it and what their results were. 

I quickly loaded up ten tonight with 6.7gr, which is on the lighter end of the book loads for a 124gr. I can’t chrono them tomorrow but gonna shoot them and see how they feel. We’ll see what happens. 

Nosler shows 6.9 grains (six point nine) of AA #7 as a starting load for 124s running 1030 fps.

7.9 (seven point nine) is the max, running 1145 fps.

Now, with that being said, I wouldn't think that a powder this slow would be very efficient loaded that way.  And I know that I had some SERIOUS barrel erosion issues when I was using AA #7 in .38 Supers back in the 80s.

Edited by Braxton1

So I shot ten today just for feel. They certainly didn’t feel great for a competition load. It’s certainly a load I could use,  but there’s a reason it’s not being done. It was worth the try. I’ll try to sell the powder and just go to the Sport Pistol I’ve always used. If I can’t sell it, maybe I’ll experiment with a PCC load with it.