Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

manny dot front sight help

scroadkill

So I had a Brazos lighting rod / Manny Dot installed on my Nemesis - and is a game changer for me.. Love it, so i bought another with the K/N cuts for my Tommy Guns 6" - which is quite a bit older - replacing a dawson..

My smith put in the lighting rod and like 40 rounds later it flies off. I assumed he removed too much materials from the sight when fitting - ruining it.. I put the dawson back in - no problem.. and ordered  another lighting rod figuring I'de do it myself. .. and damned if the sight just slides all the way though.  I see a few stake marks - so Im guessing my smith tried to stake in the loose site.

Ide still like to install it - but could use some advise here.

Edited by scroadkill
typo

You could try the Red loctite (243), or the Green loctite (638).  I had the same problem and launched one of my front sights downrange.  I used Green (638), which is sort of hard to find (a mechanic friend gave me some).  It is practically welded on now, and I'm not sure how I would get it off if I wanted to change it out (or if it broke).  I made a small "witness" mark to center the front sight on the slide when I did this.  It's obviously scary to try to sight in the pistol with a loose front sight, so I did my best to center the front sight and adjusted the rear.  

There is a different Green that you can put on pre-assembled screws (it wicks into the threads); that is not the version you want for this particular situation.   Unfortunately, that green loctite is the one they sell at most auto parts stores, and it what they get for you when you ask.  The super-strong green 638 stuff is harder to find (maybe Amazon?). 

One way to approach this is to get some shim stock of about the right thickness (or sacrifice a feeler gauge from a cheap Harbour Freight set) and make a shim and put it under the sight when you install to tighten up the fit. Then degrease and install it with the sight and some loctite. I'd try this first. I've seen guns where the base of the front sight was drilled and  tapped for a small size set screw (id put a dimple in the slide for the set screw if I.went this path.  I've also seen people drill a small hole in the sight base and the slide and put in a small roll pin through it (but I'm thinking I'd want to tighten the fit before doing this I think. ) Like someone said above you could try some variety of green loctite.  As you have a loose fit I think I'd be looking at something like which mentions being gap filling. https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/pa/en/product/retaining-compounds/loctite_660.html which is intended for a loose fit. But if you want advice on which to use you can always call their help line.

Edited by caspian guy

On 7/12/2022 at 7:05 PM, scroadkill said:

giving my smith another go.. something about peening the sides, dimpling the bottom and red loctite

I just put these sights on an Edge built by Bob as well as an SVI, this is second time I have used these. File as needed tight fit,no peening dimples or anything needed.  I used Red Loctite but really didn't need that. I have done with Hammer and Dawson Tool as well as Sight Pusher both worked.

Good luck with the Manny Dot front sights. I loved the sight picture as well. The 0.070 Wide Front sight with a 0.100 wide rear notch was awesome. But I broke 7 of them across three different guns. The front sight post would all snap off right above the front dove tail angle where it meets the post. I think there is just too much front post material hanging forward of the dove tail with that super narrow 0.070 wide post. After breaking so many of those Manny Dot sights, I switched to a .090 wide Dawson precision front sight and never broke one of those. The 0.090 front with 0.115 wide rear notch was almost an identical sight picture as the prior Manny Dot setup and I ran that for several years with great success.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Copy that. ill keep the dawson in mind. I love the super point-able 6" with the giant light windows when things get out of control. also I think it helps me find and track the sight a bit better - which in turn made me more aware of how I grip the gun and how it misbehaves when I slack off.