Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video Options 1st and 3rd Person?

Flea

I can't always get someone to film me at a match, so I'm looking for recommendations for 3rd person filming. Also I want to start doing 1st person videos so any reasonably priced options out there?

Thanks

I used to pre-position 2-3 go-pros on individual stands to capture my 3rd person views. I put 1-2 of them down range depending on the movement of the stage. Otherwise one of the cameras was on my head to capture the 1st person view, which didn’t give me the best feedback TBH. I learned more about my movements, prep, reloading, and posture from watching the 3rd person view videos. 

I use two GoPros:  1 on my hat for 1st person video (useful for "why did I fumble that reload" and "what happened that caused me to miss that target" analysis) and 1 on a large tripod for 3rd person video.

Usually placing the 3rd person camera on your support hand side of the stage will result in keeping you visible because ROs tend to favor staying on your strong hand side to better watch the gun.  Also try to place it high enough that it can see over someone accidentally walking in front of it. 

Another thing I have occasionally done for my 3rd person camera is to use a "bendable tripod" (search for examples) and wrap it around a wall leg, canopy leg, etc.

My YouTube video for the 2022 Classic Nationals shows multiple 3rd person camera options:  video buddy holding the camera, bendable tripod wrapped around stuff, bendable tripod on the ground, large tripod.  The small tripod on the ground is my least favorite option.

I know a guy that uses a really tall selfie-stick / monopod attached to his range cart to get 3rd person video and records almost "top down" 3rd person video.  Search for "38ssm" on YouTube to find his videos.

1 hour ago, N3WWN said:

I use two GoPros:  1 on my hat for 1st person video (useful for "why did I fumble that reload" and "what happened that caused me to miss that target" analysis) and 1 on a large tripod for 3rd person video.

Usually placing the 3rd person camera on your support hand side of the stage will result in keeping you visible because ROs tend to favor staying on your strong hand side to better watch the gun.  Also try to place it high enough that it can see over someone accidentally walking in front of it. 

Another thing I have occasionally done for my 3rd person camera is to use a "bendable tripod" (search for examples) and wrap it around a wall leg, canopy leg, etc.

My YouTube video for the 2022 Classic Nationals shows multiple 3rd person camera options:  video buddy holding the camera, bendable tripod wrapped around stuff, bendable tripod on the ground, large tripod.  The small tripod on the ground is my least favorite option.

I know a guy that uses a really tall selfie-stick / monopod attached to his range cart to get 3rd person video and records almost "top down" 3rd person video.  Search for "38ssm" on YouTube to find his videos.

You have link to the 2022 Classic Nationals?

I use the 10 ft selfie stick on my cart. Somewhere here posted about it like a year ago.

I run a Hero 9 on it and attempt to control via the app but it's a little hit or miss. Everyone I shoot with makes fun of me for it but it has great video and where I shoot you can position it so see most of the entire stages.

21 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I use the 10 ft selfie stick on my cart. Somewhere here posted about it like a year ago.

I run a Hero 9 on it and attempt to control via the app but it's a little hit or miss. Everyone I shoot with makes fun of me for it but it has great video and where I shoot you can position it so see most of the entire stages.

They are just jealous, and probably asking you to record their run as well. 

2 minutes ago, theroryshow said:

They are just jealous, and probably asking you to record their run as well. 

I mean, it does look ridiculous but the video is great and I'm not begging anyone to film me.

8 hours ago, Farmer said:

Just need to come up with an app that would make a drone follow you around. Now someone will steal my idea and make millions. 🤨

The drones have that ability now but it’s the sound that ends up missing.  You run around looking like an air gunner. Plus there are people who freak out about drones. 

for those of you who have tried the selfie sticks have you looked  at the go pro remote?