Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot size for ICORE

Squirrel45

Hi Everyone

What do you all feel is the best size dot for ICORE matches? I hear all the way down to a 2 up to a 10. Trying to figure out if there is a balance between ICORE and SC too. I know thats a stretch 😬

Edited by Squirrel45

Don't go to big....Must be bright in the sunlight (The cheep ones usually aren't). That's one good thing about C-More's railway or direct mount with interchangeable modules from 3 to 16 @ $50 a pop.... Mini dots usually are not changeable. Then again, it depends on what gun your using.. I use a 3 or a 6 on most every firearm. DON'T go to high. Look at a buddie's..

I have two C Mor RTS.  One six and one eight minute.  Between the two, I prefer the eight minute dot.  I do think that for finer shots the dot size needs to go down but probably not lower than four minutes.

I have a railway as well and a number of modules.  It is on my PCC.   I got the Railway because my Aimpoint Comp M-2 (2 MOA dot) was nice and bright but too small for SC.  Tried four, six, eight, and ten minute dots.  I believe I have the ten minute dot on it now for SC.  I think it is faster for SC but would be horrible for competitions with smaller targets.  I do not think the Railway dots are as intensely bright or as sharp as the dots in the RTS.

Also have a Vortex six minute dot and it is just fine too.

Changing light conditions change the size of the dot too so having a size that has some give in terms of changing light conditions is good.

For revolver or pistol I don't think a guy can go wrong with six or eight minutes.   Ten minutes is really big and not good for fine shots.  Under six will probably be problematic given changing light conditions.  

Back in the day when standards were shot a 2 min dot was needed to shoot the x-ring at 50 yards. Since it has been put aside because to many people complained about it you probably only need a 6 min dot. 

2 hours ago, revoman said:

Back in the day when standards were shot a 2 min dot was needed to shoot the x-ring at 50 yards. Since it has been put aside because to many people complained about it you probably only need a 6 min dot. 

You don't need an small aiming reference to hit a small target.  Put the 8 MOA dot in the center of the tombstone and you'll hit the center of the tombstone without seeing it.

It's how shooters like me were able to hit 1 MOA X rings and 2 MOA 10 rings with an AR-15A2 Service Rifle's 6 -8 MOA wide front sight post.

31 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

You don't need an small aiming reference to hit a small target.  Put the 8 MOA dot in the center of the tombstone and you'll hit the center of the tombstone without seeing it.

It's how shooters like me were able to hit 1 MOA X rings and 2 MOA 10 rings with an AR-15A2 Service Rifle's 6 -8 MOA wide front sight post.

How do you sight it in?

8 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

How do you sight in anything?

For my 2min dot I put 1/2” dots at 25 yards and off sand bags and pistol rest I adjust until every round hits dot. I then blacked out 2” X-ring on tombstone target at 50 yards and verified that all rounds would stay inside 2” X-ring. 
For my 6min dot I would start at 25 yards with a 1 1/2” dot on target and follow same procedure as above. 

So simple question again how do you sight in your 8 min dot?

Dean

🏻🇺🇸

1 hour ago, revoman said:

For my 2min dot I put 1/2” dots at 25 yards and off sand bags and pistol rest I adjust until every round hits dot. I then blacked out 2” X-ring on tombstone target at 50 yards and verified that all rounds would stay inside 2” X-ring. 
For my 6min dot I would start at 25 yards with a 1 1/2” dot on target and follow same procedure as above. 

Dean

🏻🇺🇸

The same way I used to sight in my target rifles with aperture sights.  You somehow seem unable to understand that one does not need a target to span the same diameter as the dot at a certain distance.  Keeping round things of different sizes concentric achieves the same thing and is easier for the eyes to detect alignment.

1 hour ago, revoman said:

Dean

🏻🇺🇸

Dean:

With a eight minute dot sight, and using your technique, I would go with a four inch dot at 25 and a eight inch target at fifty.   Same ration between target and dot -- the target appearing to be about twice the size of the dot.  Enough target for a person to get a very consistent sight picture with the dot.  

Some like tighter and others larger but I found this ratio to be most comfortable for me to get a consistent sight picture using a dot.

Aperture sights?  I go with about 1/3 white around the black aiming point but people would be surprised at how small the aiming black can appear in the front sight and still shoot exceptionally well.

GG 

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

The same way I used to sight in my target rifles with aperture sights.  You somehow seem unable to understand that one does not need a target to span the same diameter as the dot at a certain distance.  Keeping round things of different sizes concentric achieves the same thing and is easier for the eyes to detect alignment.

Oh I understand but I guess you cannot understand a simple question. So I will lay it out to you in simple terms. What distance do you use and what aiming point do you use to sight in and I am talking for a red dot on a revolver as this is a revolver forum. Don't get me wrong as I also have rifles with apertures sights and have shot them in DCM matches that now called CMP and I know how to sight them in. Again incase you don't understand the question "how do you sight in an 8min red dot on a revolver"? 

Thanks for you response and answer GG.

You all have a great 4th in this great country.

Dean

✌️🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

I can see the difference between a question and argument bait.  I'm not interested in an argument.

No argument just a simple question. As GG explained how he sights in a 8 min dot and that technique sounds good. Just looking to see how others do it to compare and see if other ways would work for me. Like the old saying goes “I am never to old to learn” Sorry if you feel like I am looking for an argument. Have a great 4th. 

Dean

🏻🇺🇸

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 8:35 AM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Keeping round things of different sizes concentric achieves the same thing and is easier for the eyes to detect alignment.

interesting.  I'm to old and burned in to try something else. I don't know if it translates to red dot handguns at 50 yards though translates to iron sights on a rifle, the aiming process is not the same.   If what you were saying really worked everyone on the ground everyone in bianchi would be shooting 8 moa dots and they all shoot 1 moa dots...

still interesting though...

7 hours ago, testosterone said:

interesting.  I'm to old and burned in to try something else. I don't know if it translates to red dot handguns at 50 yards though translates to iron sights on a rifle, the aiming process is not the same.   If what you were saying really worked everyone on the ground everyone in bianchi would be shooting 8 moa dots and they all shoot 1 moa dots...

Shooting is as much mental as physical, so "IF" one thinks it helps and it calms them or helps them focus, then do it.

8 hours ago, testosterone said:

Bianchi?  Never heard of it.

The Bianchi Cup is the national championship match of NRA Action Pistol. The match is held at the old Chapman Academy in Columbia, MO since 1979. Doug Koenig has won 19 of the 42 matches, almost half. Maybe you have heard of Ray Chapman or Doug Koenig? The match is named in honor of John Bianchi of Bianchi Holster and Leather Goods.

Edited by Toolguy