Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N330 For 9mm Major

Robbie Wheaton Jr

I heard an interesting discussion from some friends at the range the other day. It seems they are using N330 in 9mm major. Has anyone else had any experience with this powder in their S_i's? If you have used it what is your barrel length, do you have any ports in the barrel? Does this powder have a large flash like some of the other VV powders? I know I know questions questions!!! Sorry, but I am new to open and appreciate any feedback.

robbie,

Just to let you know ,N330 is the very best for 9mm, major or minor.

You need to get a Vihtavouri load manual, I have been using N330 for the last 6 years shooting GSSF , it is the only powder I will use in 9mm. It is very clean burning and has a low flash in my GSSF powder puff loads.

But my best suggestion is to get yourself a Vihtavouri load manual, it is the best place to start ,when looking for loads useing VV powders.

Good luck and happy shooting with the N330.

Jeff

robbie,

You need to get a Vihtavouri load manual, I have been using N330 for the last 6 years shooting GSSF , it is the only powder I will use in 9mm. It is very clean burning and has a low flash in my GSSF powder puff loads.

But my best suggestion is to get yourself a Vihtavouri load manual, it is the best place to start ,when looking for loads useing VV powders.

Good luck and happy shooting with the N330.

Jeff

6 years using n330!! thats awesome. just recently I loaded 300 rds of 147gr berrys and 3.5 of n330. I tried them out and so far so good. I doubt this load comes close to making major. but minor, maybe. ghost21 what bullet weight and how many grains of n330 are you using?

The VV Reloading Manual doesn't list any loads near Major for 9mm, so there's no point in getting a manual. Further, it's a faster powder than those used by most people for 9Major, so while it may be fine for Minor it probably wouldn't be the best choice for Major.

Additionally, in the VV manual the only powder listed as having a Major load in the non-Super-length 9mm cartridges is N105 in 9x21. In the Super-length cartridges there are no loads listed with 330 (likely as a result of its faster burn rate).

That all being said: by all means experiment, and please let us know how it goes. We wouldn't have any of the load data for 9Major that we do have were it not for people experimenting with different powders. Be safe.

I was just thinking about this the other night as I uncovered a very dusty jug of N330 with maybe 5lbs left in it. Then I thought about the top-16 shooter who was using TITEGROUP [!!!] in 38supercomp to make Open Major...

I usually ignore the burn rate charts completely and focus on how a powder behaves in the cartridges we shoot, with the bullets we shoot, in the guns we shoot.

Just a guess, N330 may behave a lot like Silhouette or True Blue or IMR7625. My dies are all set for Super now but if someone local wants to try it, I'll pour you out a LB or two.

Robbie ,I shoot remington 147 match bullets in my GSSf guns. The load I am using is 3.8 grn N330

I started out using Accurate No5 but had trouble using it in my dillon powder measure,N330 gave me the same velocities and the same soft shooting loads,and measures perfect in the dillon measure.

Another good powder ,that may work for major is VV 3N37

Good luck with the N330 loads and enjoy!

Jeff

Btw Robbie, Get the Vihtavoui manual what ever you decide it is a good manual for starting with VV powders

Edited by ghost21

robbie,

Jeff

Jeff

Would you care to share your load info that makes major?

I have used 3n37, n350, 3n38, TrueBlue, Power Pistol, and Silhouette but in the last year with all of the talk of powders in 9 Major I have never heard n330 come up.

Take care, Craig

robbie,

Jeff

Jeff

Would you care to share your load info that makes major?

I have used 3n37, n350, 3n38, TrueBlue, Power Pistol, and Silhouette but in the last year with all of the talk of powders in 9 Major I have never heard n330 come up.

Take care, Craig

Craig,

I have never used N330 for a major 9mm load, I said i use it in Gssf loads, They are powder puff loads,It was just a suggestion,If you will read up on N330 you will see that it was especially produced for 9mm. Thas why I chose it for my 9mm GSSF loads, and because I had trouble with Acc No5 in my powder measure. They are basically next to each other on the burn rate chart.

Jeff

My info on major with N330 comes from a friend that tried it and got good results but he went back to N320( he had more N320 on hand).

Edited by ghost21

Jeff,

No worries, your statement of N330 being the very best for major made me wonder, as I know of noone who has tried it to make major. My suspicion is you will run into pressure signs or run out of case room long before making major. I was just curious as to it's performance at major PF's.

Take care, Craig

Jeff,

No worries, your statement of N330 being the very best for major made me wonder, as I know of noone who has tried it to make major. My suspicion is you will run into pressure signs or run out of case room long before making major. I was just curious as to it's performance at major PF's.

Take care, Craig

No problem craig

The VV Reloading Manual doesn't list any loads near Major for 9mm, so there's no point in getting a manual. Further, it's a faster powder than those used by most people for 9Major, so while it may be fine for Minor it probably wouldn't be the best choice for Major.

Additionally, in the VV manual the only powder listed as having a Major load in the non-Super-length 9mm cartridges is N105 in 9x21. In the Super-length cartridges there are no loads listed with 330 (likely as a result of its faster burn rate).

That all being said: by all means experiment, and please let us know how it goes. We wouldn't have any of the load data for 9Major that we do have were it not for people experimenting with different powders. Be safe.

Page 40 of the online VV loading Manual shows a starting load of 6.3 with 3N38 under an HP/XTP bullet for a velocity of 1171 fps, a power factor of 172,137. The maximum load is 6.9 for a velocity of 1207 fps, a power factor of 177,429.

Page 40 of the online VV loading Manual shows a starting load of 6.3 with 3N38 under an HP/XTP bullet for a velocity of 1171 fps, a power factor of 172,137. The maximum load is 6.9 for a velocity of 1207 fps, a power factor of 177,429.

I stand corrected. Now find me someone that shoots a 147 for Major. ;)

I've been loading N330 in my daughters Glocks for 7 or 8 years. I load it to a 143PF (she has a tendency to limp-wrist shooting weekhand). 5.0 N330, 125 Zero JHP, OAL 1.130. 4 grains at 1.155 with a 147 gave me a 144PF. I haven't pushed it much harder than that. 6 grains of N340 will make major with a 125 JHP.

I've been loading N330 in my daughters Glocks for 7 or 8 years. I load it to a 143PF (she has a tendency to limp-wrist shooting weekhand). 5.0 N330, 125 Zero JHP, OAL 1.130. 4 grains at 1.155 with a 147 gave me a 144PF. I haven't pushed it much harder than that. 6 grains of N340 will make major with a 125 JHP.

Scout,

For your daughter,Try a load of 3.8grs of N330 under a 147 grs bullet she will find it a lot softer shooting then the 125gr bullets,you will like it also.

Jeff

PS,Use the same length ,you do now with your 147's.If you dont have a ported barrel on your or her glock ,you can go as low as 3.5 grs of N330. You will find it a sweet load!

Edited by ghost21

I stand corrected. Now find me someone that shoots a 147 for Major. ;)

LOL, Me. But then again, I'm an old fart just having fun. I shoot them through a Glock 34 with a Storm Lake 6 port barrel, Tungsten Guide Rod w/13 lb spring, T.H.E Magwell, and a JPoint Red Dot. I have another G-34 that I use for IDPA with 4.0 grains of WSF and the same bullet. I've shot them out of the open gun, it's like shooting a .22, so nice that I'm considering shooting Open Minor. Have fun and be safe.

John

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for ghost21;

I use 147gr Zero JHP with 3.7gr of N330 for GSSF loads and they shoot great. I got them to work as low as 3.5gr. but settled on 3.7gr for my primary load. They work great in both my 17L U/L and stock 17. The Remington 147gr Match Bullet is also a great one to load but I settled on the 147gr Zero because it worked just a tad better in my guns and was a little more cost effective. I have also shot a few of the Zero 125gr JHP with 4.0gr N330. They did great out to about 15 yards but I found the groups opened up in the 20 to 25 yards ranges.