Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czeckmate barrel fitting issues

HazardPoint

Hi. Recently bought a used Czeckmate and 2nd barrel doesn’t fit. It fits but can’t assemble pistol. You can see why in picture. Is this barrel from a different CZ? If so which one? Should I try to modify myself, there is enough metal, or take to gunsmith, or just buy a second barrel if needed. Could sell this to someone if I knew what it fits.

thanks in advance. Love this Czeckmate!!

BBE9CCD4-2308-49FC-A65F-2D9EE34F4644.jpeg

Your good one is from an 'A' pre-fix gun; IIRC all of those have the older thinner front lug portion of the barrel that was prone to cracking (it's the same size as the regular TS barrel lug). There should be a year number marked on the slide. My '17 and '19 Czechmates are both 'C' pre-fixed serials. I believe they switched to the thicker front portion sometime during the B series based on context in this thread where someone with B series has the thinner lug and another has a thicker one. You don't want to grind down that extra material on the newer barrel. 

If the barrel itself fits, then the issue is presumably with the fitment between the guide rod and the forward face of that lug that the guide rod rests on (or maybe on the recoil spring housing). If you measure the dimensions of your guide rod I can compare to the measurements of mine and let you know where the discrepancy lies. My guess would be that the button part that sits on the forward face of the lug has a larger circumference and is being forced to sit lower (when installed) by the more gradual ramp on the newer barrel. 

Edited by regor

lower lug where guide rod contacts. do not change that.

CM barrel will need to be fitted at rear, where barrel touches breechface. new barrel , material needs to come off there so slide can come forward into lock up.

Thanks I understand better now. I see the gun and the barrel that is good are “A” model, and barrel 2 is “B”.

don’t see a year on slide, except maybe in front of the serial # there is an 11. Would that mean 2011? SN is A921724, is the year in there? Barrel is same sn. B barrel is B678211, and there is a 14 in front of the CZ symbol. 2014?

didn’t realize I bought such an old gun! Should have researched better.

my guide Rod is 105.15 mm or 4.14”. The button dia is 9.95 mm or 0.392”.

if I am reading you guys correct I need to take to gunsmith to fir the B barrel somehow.??

Whatever the interference is it cause the slide to be too far back to allow insertion of the slide release upon re assembly. The mark on the slide is about 1/8” behind the mark on the body.

Just checking again. Everything slides well with guide Rod and spring out. Obviously something with the way the Rod button sits. Doesn’t make sense to modify barrel breach surfaces?

When CZ went to the stronger lug they must have made the Rod button different, if so I should buy one?

but I don’t see how they could have nice contact button to lug with that curved surface?

thanks for any more help

You should not be assembling the Czechmate with the guide rod resting on the lower lug like you do with your other CZs, there's a hole in the guide rod, compress the spring and put an "L" shaped piece of paperclip in the hole to keep it compressed, with the slide on the gun, pull the slide to the rear and remove the clip.

On 5/11/2022 at 2:06 PM, eerw said:

lower lug where guide rod contacts. do not change that.

CM barrel will need to be fitted at rear, where barrel touches breechface. new barrel , material needs to come off there so slide can come forward into lock up.

Here's a video to help with this process:

5 hours ago, HazardPoint said:

my guide Rod is 105.15 mm or 4.14”. The button dia is 9.95 mm or 0.392”.

Those are essentially the same dimensions on mine so I don’t think that’s it. I would verify you are installing the recoil spring & guide rod correctly per Kneelingatlas’s comment.  Is your issue getting the assembled slide onto the frame or getting the recoil rod back in the slide with the new barrel in? 

Installing correctly. Now I have measured everything I agree that barrel needs fitting. Lugs on back of barrel are longer than good barrel. See video above from kneelingatlas, I am going to do that first.

thanks for everyone’s help.

I now have a second barrel thanks to kneelingatlas!!

process was very simple. Haven’t test fired yet but fits and functions perfect, although lineup marks are slightly off, but that doesn’t seem to matter.

thanks for all the advice. Great forum?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, yigal said:

They changed  lower lug radius only😀

Some of the friends who have the version with the radius always have difficulty assembling their CM and TSO

Ha yes, the TSO so much easier to dis-assemble & clean.  Never take both guns apart on the same pad at the same time!