Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd malfunction

Bakerjd

So I wanted to test out these Ginex small pistol primers but didn't want to waste my SNS 135gn rn bullets so I just swapped to some brass monkey 135gn rn bullets to load with. Out of the 150 rounds I loaded for testing the primers I got a bunch where the bullet would hit the top of the chamber and jam up the gun. Gun was clean and oiled right before testing. I didn't change anything on the press. OAL is 1.19". It looked like the back of the case was getting hung up at the bottom of the slide as well. And had 3 where the round was tipped straight up and stuck between the slide and barrel. I haven't had any issues with this load when using the SNS bullets. So what would cause it with just changing bullets?

6 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

So I wanted to test out these Ginex small pistol primers but didn't want to waste my SNS 135gn rn bullets so I just swapped to some brass monkey 135gn rn bullets to load with. Out of the 150 rounds I loaded for testing the primers I got a bunch where the bullet would hit the top of the chamber and jam up the gun. Gun was clean and oiled right before testing. I didn't change anything on the press. OAL is 1.19". It looked like the back of the case was getting hung up at the bottom of the slide as well. And had 3 where the round was tipped straight up and stuck between the slide and barrel. I haven't had any issues with this load when using the SNS bullets. So what would cause it with just changing bullets?

I’m guessing it has to do with the ogive profile of both bullets. Even though they are both 135gr and appear similar, the might be dimensionally different. 

Did you plunk test both bullets? Some barrel chambers can load long, and some have to load short. Just looking at the 1.19” number I’m inclined to say it’s a little too long. 

2 hours ago, SouperMan said:

I’m guessing it has to do with the ogive profile of both bullets. Even though they are both 135gr and appear similar, the might be dimensionally different. 

Did you plunk test both bullets? Some barrel chambers can load long, and some have to load short. Just looking at the 1.19” number I’m inclined to say it’s a little too long. 

I actually didn't plunk test the ginex ones. Barrel has been reamed by PD for long loaded 9mm. When had them do it I sent some rounds that were 1.125. 

• 1 month later...

1.19 is super long - I agree that 1.10 is a good starting point.  I have seen some feed ramp / angle feeding issues but those were almost entirely due to mag lips and springs. I would start with the OAL and go from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Alllll of my tanfos have had a certain (within parameters) length they don't like that causes conical bullets to nose into the inside Chamber edge. figure that length out by slowly running a DUMMY round into chamber from mag, watch how round pops out mag lips, feed ramps straight up and stops hard with bullet tipped up. Usually if this is the issue you will see the nose of your soft lead bullets get a "cut" mark in tip. Change OAL. 

On 4/30/2022 at 1:50 PM, Bakerjd said:

I actually didn't plunk test the ginex ones. Barrel has been reamed by PD for long loaded 9mm. When had them do it I sent some rounds that were 1.125. 

Shoulda went longer bro. I load mine to 1.125. 1.10 IS where the tanfos typically come chamber length wise. I think I've sent some rounds to Joe at 1.180 😆 to ENSURE I could load anything.

15 hours ago, Apolo said:

Shoulda went longer bro. I load mine to 1.125. 1.10 IS where the tanfos typically come chamber length wise. I think I've sent some rounds to Joe at 1.180 😆 to ENSURE I could load anything.

Oh wow. That's longer then I load 9 major. Lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 9:42 AM, Apolo said:

I'd consider a reream @1.155 and run 1.135 like John and Myself.

Had it rereamed and can now load all the way out to 1.190. Going to load some at 1.125 to 1.135. See if that helps. 

2 hours ago, Apolo said:

There ya go. Hope all goes as planned!

Me too. Loading with mixed range brass and I remember why I decided to only buy sorted amd prepped brass. I'm slightly OCD about loading and mixed range brass is not fun. 

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Do they even fit in the magazine

At 1.165 and 1.75 I believe 9mm spacer mags start to rub bullet noses. But better to ream longer than your intended load than too short.