Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSSC Members' Meeting

bigdawgbeav

13 hours ago, harleytech said:

The biggest hassle I had was rimfire competitors not being familiar with the range commands. To the point that they wanted to argue what the correct command should be!

Exactly what I posted about earlier.  Before this USPSA edict came down I argued it was silly for an RO to issue a command that would not be followed.  ..........,hammer down, holster is the command for centerfire semi autos.  It is modified for PCCs.  It is modified for revolvers.  Why can't it be modified for rimfire?  There is no rimfire in USPSA.  IMO, the argument for foreign language speakers needing to understand a set of standardized commands is bogus.  If they shoot a PCC they are familiar with the commands for that gun.  Same with revolver.  It would be the same with rimfire.

IMO, the commands issued by an RO should be PRECISELY the action expected from the shooter.  Why not?  There are other rules that are different between the two sports.  For instance, IWB draw is allowed in USPSA but not in SCSA.  Where is the 'consistency' in that.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/2/2022 at 11:54 PM, JodiH said:

I am finding this discussion interesting, as one of the folks who teaches ROs/CROs/RMs and develops the teaching materials for NROI.  All the points about a SC-only RO class that have been brought up in this thread have been discussed in the last few years.  And yes, figuring out if 20 people or a few thousand people are interested in a SC-only certification is something we really want to know.   Previously, we used to allow clubs to add the SC endorsement class to a RO or CRO class.  It took about an hour to go through the differences between the USPSA and SCSA rules.  We used to charge $20 a student for the in-person endorsement add-on class.  Since we have moved it online, it still is a "here are the differences between USPSA and SCSA rules" class and the endorsement is free of charge.  And FYI, NROI really is not a major money maker for USPSA.  We are lucky to break even, especially now with the cost of travel.   If you want to learn about seminar costs, it is outlined here https://uspsa.org/pages/nroi/seminar.

Right now, SCSA rules do not require certified ROs at any level of competition (see Appendix A1), unlike USPSA.  At Tier 4 matches, a certified RM is mandatory (and yes, that is a certified USPSA RM) but that is the only requirement.  In USPSA, we require certified officials starting at Level II matches (the equivalent to SC Tier 2 matches).   We require at least one certified official on each stage for LII and certified CROs for LIII and Nationals.  And anymore, most almost all staff at LII and above matches are certified.  

We have talked about requiring certified officials for SCSA matches, like we do for USPSA, but understand that there are some very dedicated and hard working SC competitors who are also great staff and not USPSA ROs and we didn't want to alienate them.  So my question is to those of you who want a SC-only RO certification:  1.) If we implemented that class, would you be okay with also requiring certified officials at Tier 2 and above matches?, 2.) Do you think that requiring certified staff at Tier 2 and above would motivate people to get a SC-only endorsement?

Yes to both questions  I hold USPSA RO cert w/ SC endorsement... I will never work or shoot a USPSA match again at 75 yrs of age.  I have Roed the last 4 WSCS matches. My wife is not certified but has mentioned she would be if there was a SC only RO class.... most of the local Shooters I have talked to indicated that they too would be interested in a SC only class .  Having SC certified RO's would be a nice improvement to State and Area matches IMHO

First of all, there should be an SCSA RO only class regardless of whether you mandate certified officials at higher tier matches.

1.  yes.

2.  possibly.  I'm sure some would, but I don't think that would be the main motivation.