Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag hitting underside of barrel ramp

DodgeNerd

Quoting;

"CHA-LEE

Posted November 14, 2018

File the bottom of the barrel feed ramp flat so its even with the frame when the barrel is in the "Down & Back" position sitting in the frame. Doing this will also minimize the chance of the bottom edge of the ramp gouging into the tip of the next bullet in the magazine. To me this is barrel fitting 101 that a competent gunsmith should already know and setup properly from the start."

So I'm a victim of the mbx mag being dented by my barrel. 

Does anyone have a picture of a "fixed" barrel fitting as an example so i can compare (before I possibly ruin my barrel)?

TIA

20220326_222543.jpg

On 3/28/2022 at 1:39 AM, Bravo_Victor said:

I had to reshape my MBX magazines bc both my guns would hit that same spot. 

Is it possible the mag catch shelf on your mag release is too high.  Some shelves are .020" higher than mil spec.  All of mine are .010" higher and work with MBX mags.

Here you go.  Doesn't have to look exactly like this.  Just move the vertical flat surface at the bottom forward (toward the muzzle end) so it doesn't overhang the inside of the grip.  If you look where the bullets are hitting, it's probably 1/2 inch above the area he needs to move forward.  So removing .050" is not going to make any difference in terms of feeding etc. 

IMG_2796.jpg

Chamfer the bottom edge of the barrel ramp a little and roll the right edge a little and then take a little off the high spot on the magazine.

I like having the ramp as far to thee rear as possible so that the nose of the bullet contacts the ramp as soon as possible.

I have three 170s, two 140s, and a 155 MBX's. Two of the mags were showing a little ding on the front edge where they were hitting the barrel feed ramp. I took a cratex tool and knocked the dinged spots off the two mags and touched up the bottom front edge like described above. Haven't seen any more dinged up mags,,,