Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Initial Sight In/Chrono of new P320 MAX

HOGRIDER

Just now, HOGRIDER said:

@Rich406While I'm definitely in full learning mode as this is my first X5 Legion/MAX series Sig, I did come across another similar conversation concerning the same reference.  IOW, the MAX did not come with a tungsten grip insert; but instead came from the factory with a stainless steel version.

So, trying to figure out what was in my grip module, I removed everything from the module and first tried an industrial strength magnet to the existing insert.  No magnetic attraction whatsoever!  So then I decided to weigh the grip module and it came out to 14.80 oz.

So, I'm not sure at this point what grip insert I have.

I did replace the steel guide rod which weighed 1.5oz with the Springer tungsten unit that weighed 3.30oz.  So I'm thinking tungsten will be about twice as heavy as the steel counterpart?

Thanks for your feedback!

It’s brass. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

@Rich406While I'm definitely in full learning mode as this is my first X5 Legion/MAX series Sig, I did come across another similar conversation concerning the same reference.  IOW, the MAX did not come with a tungsten grip insert; but instead came from the factory with a stainless steel version.

So, trying to figure out what was in my grip module, I removed everything from the module and first tried an industrial strength magnet to the existing insert.  No magnetic attraction whatsoever!  So then I decided to weigh the grip module and it came out to 14.80 oz.

I did replace the steel guide rod which weighed 1.5oz with the Springer tungsten unit that weighed 3.30oz.  So I'm thinking tungsten will be about twice as heavy as the steel counterpart?

Ben, you have a steel insert in your TXG grip. Here’s a couple of pictures I took a few years back when I bought the TXG grip for my original X5.

TXG grip with stainless steel insert but without the magwell.
6422-E808-F3-F5-444-C-A553-105458-F5-E46

Stainless steel insert from the TXG grip

D649-C5-AB-DA74-46-F5-87-AF-A7-FDF156425

Stainless steel insert from original X5 polymer grip

3-CF73-F91-863-E-4-E25-A30-B-7-F3-BA0964

both insert 

C3510065-EDBB-417-E-B2-B5-94-EC137-D5-CF

2 minutes ago, George16 said:

Ben, you have a steel insert in your TXG grip. Here’s a couple of pictures I took a few years back when I bought the TXG grip for my original X5.

D649-C5-AB-DA74-46-F5-87-AF-A7-FDF156425

3-CF73-F91-863-E-4-E25-A30-B-7-F3-BA0964

both insert 

C3510065-EDBB-417-E-B2-B5-94-EC137-D5-CF

There is no steel version. They are all brass with a grey coating.  Don’t believe me? Put a magnet on them..

C7FED383-716B-42FE-AC5A-D695951BA1EB.jpeg

10 minutes ago, George16 said:

both insert 

@George16Well, mine is definitely in the same weight range as yours!  But wouldn't the steel insert have some magnetic capabilities as Rich mentions above?

THANKS my friend!

:)

Module Weight.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

21 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

FWIW:

Not all steels are magnetic.

The grip weight in the original X5 (pre-Legion) is not magnetic.

I do not have a legion but I would be quite surprised if the Legion grip weight differed in any significant way from the original.

I have never heard of the Legion having a tungsten grip weight from the factory; I think if it did it would be fairly common knowledge by now.

After market tungsten weights are available from Shooting Sports Innovations. There may be other suppliers but I am unaware of them.

Edited by ddc

1 hour ago, ddc said:

FWIW:

Not all steels are magnetic.

The grip weight in the original X5 (pre-Legion) is not magnetic.

Uhh…. That’s because it’s made of brass. 

Edited by Rich406

18 minutes ago, ddc said:

I have never heard of the Legion having a tungsten grip weight from the factory; I think if it did it would be fairly common knowledge by now.

After market tungsten weights are available from Shooting Sports Innovations. There may be other suppliers but I am unaware of them.

If sig used a tungsten weight it would double the cost of the grip module. 

1 hour ago, Rich406 said:

Uhh…. That’s because it’s made of brass. 

Uhh.... thanks. I was responding to the posters comment about it possibly being stainless steel but not having any magnetic attraction. 

On 4/29/2022 at 10:31 PM, fireman1776 said:

What type of velocity/pf is producing the better results? 

The final velocities I came to depends on the weight of the bullet, but in general the faster the bullet the better the accuracy for the Sig 5" barrels regardless of the bullet weight. 

I cannot remember what I tested up to for 147 gr in regards to velocity. Most likely around 975-1000 FPS.

I like the 124/125 gr bullets between 1100 and 1150 FPS, which yields a PF of 136-142.  

Finally got to talk with an experienced CSR at Sig Sauer!  And even though there's a direct question under the product description that was answered by a Sig CSR that stated the module insert was Tungsten, the guy I talked to confirmed that is was indeed brass with a coating.

https://www.sigsauer.com/grip-weight-320-x-series-1-6-oz-retainer.html

@Rich406was right on the money with his info!

Thanks to everyone that posted............

:)

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

• 7 months later...
22 minutes ago, adamastergunner said:

I hate to bring up an old thread but did anyone figure out what a good load was for 124gn and 147gn for the Max? Thanks.

This was my final match load for the Max.  I'm also using the KKM barrel........

R347.png

11 minutes ago, oddjob said:

Hogrider,

Just curious....what was the best group you could get with the 147's?

@oddjobOnce I got the Max I had already committed to using the 124/125g platform, and never took the time to test any of my 147 Match loads.  

If I decided to test the 147g match load I was using with the S2 Orange, which btw were producing under 1" groups, it would be with the 147g Zero or PD JHP with 3.5 N320 @ 1.120" - 1.125" OAL.  Of course I would verify the OAL with the KKM barrel before testing.

HTHs!  👍

11 hours ago, oddjob said:

OK....I was just curious with the reviews on 147's with Sig 320X5 Legions.

Typically it is not good at lower and subsonic velocities.  There is a ton of info on how the stock Sig P320 barrels with the 5" Barrel do not group well with 147 gr bullets.  I did some testing awhile back and I could never get better than a grapefruit size group at 15 yds.  That was until I sped the bullet up.  With all of the testing I performed with any bullet groups are always better at higher velocities.  Therefore to keep the PF in the 130 to 135 range it is better to use 124/5 grain bullets to get the velocity up.  People have had some good luck with 135 gr bullets as well, but slow 147 gr bullets group like crap for the most part.