Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Initial Sight In/Chrono of new P320 MAX

HOGRIDER

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, oddjob said:

I know the other accuracy thread more or less covered this question, but I'm dumb enough to ask.  147's/150's still perform poorly in the accuracy department?

@oddjob This is a 147g Zero match load that shoots less than 1" from my CZ............

Tested in the Max, bench rested, at 15 yds.  10 rounds.

IMO, poor performance from the P320!  Of course there's always the chance a higher velocity might produce better results.  For now, I'm going to try and make the 124/125g bullets work.

👍

Zero 147 Match.png

11 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

@oddjob This is a 147g Zero match load that shoots less than 1" from my CZ............

Tested in the Max, bench rested, at 15 yds.  10 rounds.

IMO, poor performance from the P320!  Of course there's always the chance a higher velocity might produce better results.  For now, I'm going to try and make the 124/125g bullets work.

👍

Zero 147 Match.png

I had good luck with the RMR FMJ 147Gr FP. If you’re looking for a heavier bullet. 

Edited by Rich406

3 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

I had good luck with the RMR FMJ 147Gr FP. If you’re looking for a heavier bullet. 

@Rich406

I've got to ask..........how fast you having to drive those 147's?  

Since the season is in full swing, I'm having a hard time finding the time to develop an "optimal" load to get started with.

;)

9 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

@Rich406

I've got to ask..........how fast you having to drive those 147's?  

Since the season is in full swing, I'm having a hard time finding the time to develop an "optimal" load to get started with.

;)

890ish

On 4/4/2022 at 1:15 PM, Rich406 said:

@Rich406 Forgot to ask........you using the stock barrel?  Or aftermarket?

I'm thinking the 1:10 twist stock barrel may have different requirements vs something like the 1:16 Bar-Sto......

🤔

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

@Rich406 Forgot to ask........you using the stock barrel?  Or aftermarket?

I'm thinking the 1:10 twist stock barrel may have different requirements vs something like the 1:16 Bar-Sto......

🤔

Stock legion barrel. 
I had TSA fit 2 barsto barrels when the p320 legion first came out. They were arguably worse for the loads I was shooting. I also didn’t care for the tighter chamber. 

26 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Stock legion barrel. 
I had TSA fit 2 barsto barrels when the p320 legion first came out. They were arguably worse for the loads I was shooting. I also didn’t care for the tighter chamber. 

Thanks again!

As time permits I plan on doing some further testing with the 147g Zeros along with the 124/125 jhps; and choosing what suits me and the MAX the most.

👍

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it appears the stock barrel has potential if you push it fast enough!  Final check of the dot's sight-in before a match.

Shot off a cheap, plastic rest sitting on the range bench.  Target @ 15 yards:

Bench Rest Rd2.png

To share, here is my stock X5 non legion at 25 yards. This was shot offhand at 25 yards with a Sig Romeo 1 6 MOA dot.

load is a 145gr Bayou Bullet, 3.0 grains of titegroup loaded to 1.15 OAL. Mixed range brass and CCI primers. 

I regularly shoot groups like this with this pistol, I have a pair of them, one I run with iron and one with the dot, they both shoot like this. OG X5s with the nitride barrel

EEB932B0-507A-485E-ABBE-DF123AA72069.jpeg

4 hours ago, Blaize said:

To share, here is my stock X5 non legion at 25 yards. This was shot offhand at 25 yards with a Sig Romeo 1 6 MOA dot.

load is a 145gr Bayou Bullet, 3.0 grains of titegroup loaded to 1.15 OAL. Mixed range brass and CCI primers. 

I regularly shoot groups like this with this pistol, I have a pair of them, one I run with iron and one with the dot, they both shoot like this. OG X5s with the nitride barrel

@BlaizeI have heard the non-Legion X5 guns had a different type of barrel fitment vs the Legion/MAX pistols; and that they were very accurate!

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

2 hours ago, Trader said:

I shot a 1 3/4 group bench rested at 30 yards last weekend. Took a picture but do not know how to post it.

Load was 115 jhp, 6.3 gr HS6, with SRO .

@Trader

As long as your picture is 1.95Mb or less, you should be able to upload it via the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files...." at the bottom of the reply/post page.

👍

4 hours ago, Trader said:

I shot a 1 3/4 group bench rested at 30 yards last weekend. Took a picture but do not know how to post it.

ILoad was 115 jhp, 6.3 gr HS6, with SRO . OOPs, I thought this was x5 Legion thread My x5 's are pre Legion.

3 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

@Trader

As long as your picture is 1.95Mb or less, you should be able to upload it via the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files...." at the bottom of the reply/post page.

👍

I think the main difference in the fitment was in the slide somehow.

I had a few legions afterwards, because they updated the optics cut, but I was very very disappointed with their accuracy and sold them. I tried many different bullets, powders, weights you name it, and they just wouldn’t shoot to acceptable accuracy.

kinda disappointed really. I also have a first Gen X Carry that is even more accurate than my two X5s.

im currently playing with a few Caniks and I am very very impressed with those pistols!

I'm shooting a load at 137 PF (precision delta 124) with disappointing results.  If I have to go higher than that then, to me, it starts negating the point of the heavier grip weight of the TXG.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:21 PM, Nuncles said:

I'm shooting a load at 137 PF (precision delta 124) with disappointing results.  If I have to go higher than that then, to me, it starts negating the point of the heavier grip weight of the TXG.

This was the best result so far running off the Ransom Rest @ 139 average power factor.  Doesn't feel offensive at all in the MAX which has the brass insert in the grip along with a tungsten guide rod. 

Just my initial assessment........

:)

Precision Delta 124JHP RR.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

This was the best result so far running off the Ransom Rest @ 139 average power factor.  Doesn't feel offensive at all in the MAX which has the tungsten insert in the grip along with a tungsten guide rod. 

Just my initial assessment........

:)

Precision Delta 124JHP RR.png

The max doesn’t have a tungsten grip weight, unless you put it in there. 

49 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

The max doesn’t have a tungsten grip weight, unless you put it in there. 

@Rich406While I'm definitely in full learning mode as this is my first X5 Legion/MAX series Sig, I did come across another similar conversation concerning the same reference.  IOW, the MAX did not come with a tungsten grip insert; but instead came from the factory with a stainless steel version.

So, trying to figure out what was in my grip module, I removed everything from the module and first tried an industrial strength magnet to the existing insert.  No magnetic attraction whatsoever!  So then I decided to weigh the grip module and it came out to 14.80 oz.

So, I'm not sure at this point what grip insert I have.

I did replace the steel guide rod which weighed 1.5oz with the Springer tungsten unit that weighed 3.30oz.  So I'm thinking tungsten will be about twice as heavy as the steel counterpart?

Thanks for your feedback!