Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Front sight for 627 V Comp. Dovetail base.

gargoil66

Have one from Revolver Supply but the fiber optic is too small at .075. 

The .090 size should be pretty much what I want. 

So, who has a dovetail front sight for a 627 that takes a .090 size green fiber optic?

GG

3 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-627-5-fiber-optic-front-sights/

Dawson has several options none in .09" but several at .10" so hopefully that .010" isn't a deal breaker for you

Mike: 

Thanks for the info.

Ordered one.  I still think the fiber optic is too small but there is enough frame around it that I can drill it out and use a bigger fiber optic if I want.  The ones from Revolver Supply have almost nothing around the fiber optic.  Could well be that the overall size is what is bothering me but at least I have some options with the Dawson.

GG

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

SDM Super Sight, fiber optic front sight for the win !!

YSR:

Yes -- they make great sights.  I have one for my 625.

Key word -- dovetail.  SDM doesn't make one.  

GG

Protocall Design has a bunch of height and width options available for the V-Comp dovetail sight: https://www.protocalldesign.com/products.html

Scroll about halfway down and there's a table with all of the options. I love the PD front sight I have on my TRR8. I don't know the fiber diameter, but maybe @Protocall Design can hop in and give it to you.

27 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

We have 1mm .040 and 1.5mm .060 fiber sizes. The ends are slightly bigger when you melt them.

Awesome!

Related question (that you might not know the answer to): do you know if the V-Comp base sits higher or lower than the quick-change base? I have a TRR8 with a Protocall .200 front sight and a Weigand rear. I also have a V-Comp with the same rear and both are 5" barrels. I wasn't sure if I could just order the V-Comp .200" and be set or if I'd need to account for the sight bases.

On 3/10/2022 at 11:25 AM, matteekay said:

Awesome!

Related question (that you might not know the answer to): do you know if the V-Comp base sits higher or lower than the quick-change base? I have a TRR8 with a Protocall .200 front sight and a Weigand rear. I also have a V-Comp with the same rear and both are 5" barrels. I wasn't sure if I could just order the V-Comp .200" and be set or if I'd need to account for the sight bases.

Matt:

I measured each this morning.  I measured from the inside top of the barrel to the top of each base.  The TRR-8 was .460 and the V Comp was .440. 

So, based on my two revolvers, the top of the front sight base on my TRR-8 is slightly higher than on my V-Comp.

GG

Edited by gargoil66

2 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Matt:

I measured each this morning.  I measured from the inside top of the barrel to the top of each base.  The TRR-8 was .460 and the V Comp was .440. 

So, based on my two revolvers, the top of the front sight base on my TRR-8 is slightly higher than on my V-Comp.

GG

Really appreciate that! 

7 hours ago, Angrymatt said:

I have a williams firesight rifle bead on mine. Not sure the dia of fiber but it fits right in and worked great for $19. #56435-343N is the model. I ordered from ktp.com. 

AM:

I had forgotten about Williams.  They have a pretty interesting selection of gunsights.  Have ordered one from Dawson so hopefully this saga will be over.  Fat chance when it comes to blade front sights.  Either not the right height or not the right width or both.  Thank you for the info though.  Williams has a really wide range of sights and finding a single source is a good thing.

GG

36 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

AM:

I had forgotten about Williams.  They have a pretty interesting selection of gunsights.  Have ordered one from Dawson so hopefully this saga will be over.  Fat chance when it comes to blade front sights.  Either not the right height or not the right width or both.  Thank you for the info though.  Williams has a really wide range of sights and finding a single source is a good thing.

GG

I had found the info in some other forum from yrs ago. If the Dawson's dont work the williams lined up great. Only fitting on mine was removing a tiny amount of the black coating. Like you it was a struggle to find a fiber optic front for that thing. Good luck 

2 hours ago, dwarren9 said:

Is the dove tail on a 625 v comp the same as a 627?

You mean 627 V Comp and a 627?

V Comp takes a dovetail and my 627 PC uses a quick change front sight.  No dovetail on my 627 PC.

GG

15 hours ago, dwarren9 said:

I have a 625 vcomp 

DW:

Roger, got it.  

I don't have one but if you want to measure your 625 V Comp, I will measure my 627 using the same technique.

BTW -- does that compensator do anything with the .45 ACP?  

GG