Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should a newbie go to a big match

X5SigChris

This may be an odd question, but I’d like a little insight on personal experiences. 

I’m going to my first SC match this weekend in years and I’m sure I’ll have much more fun than before as I’ve ramped up my dedication to shooting sports since getting back into it. If I do have as much fun as I think I will, would it be worthwhile to sign up for the area 8 championship that’s going on down the road for me. My thought process is that it gets me all 8 stages vs 4 at my local match and I get to see first hand experienced shooters. It would also be my first big match attendance. 

What is your take on this? Too early to attend something like this? Better to spend the match fees on more smaller matches? What did you gain/lose from going to a bigger match? Whatever you have to offer. 

I’d be signing up for CO division if it makes any difference. I am currently unclassified and won’t know what I officially earned until next week but I’m not shooting for the moon. I’m hoping to see a solid C or low B run but that’s easy to say before the buzzer goes off. Time will tell. 

Thanks in advance for any input! 

At our Club, we hold 6 Stage SC Matches which we allow all contestants to enter, and when we host the 8 stage events, we don't encourage it as much. We have found that the less experienced shooters slow the rotations down considerably and the veterans stop coming to the big Matches.  Just as a thought. 

I understand and see your point. What would you say actually made the match slower? Simply overall time, shooting 20+ seconds on a 12 second stage? Not having gear available or prepped properly? 

to be fair, the last thing I want to do is take a spot away from someone that may overall win the match. At the same time though, I don’t want to give up a spot and miss the experience as well for no good reason. 

The experienced shooters show up prepared.  Equipment and mentally. New comers are nervous and most of their equipment isn't reliable.  Lots of ammo/jams. Finally.  It's always the same people painting and helping out. Usually 5 or 6 of the 12 to 15 person groups. 

First:   As long as you are safe and know what you are doing, you don't slow things down enough for people to care.    If you have shot over 5 matches and don't need anyone's help to get through a match, you won't hold things up at a big match.   Don't worry about that.

That said, major marches usually have more difficult shots than routine club matches.    If you struggle to make all of the shots at a level 1 match, you aren't ready for a major.    They have lots more partials and usually have faster swingers.

26 minutes ago, Smitty79 said:

First:   As long as you are safe and know what you are doing, you don't slow things down enough for people to care.    If you have shot over 5 matches and don't need anyone's help to get through a match, you won't hold things up at a big match.   Don't worry about that.

That said, major marches usually have more difficult shots than routine club matches.    If you struggle to make all of the shots at a level 1 match, you aren't ready for a major.    They have lots more partials and usually have faster swingers.

This is the Steel Challenge sub-forum.

2 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

This may be an odd question, but I’d like a little insight on personal experiences. 

I’m going to my first SC match this weekend in years and I’m sure I’ll have much more fun than before as I’ve ramped up my dedication to shooting sports since getting back into it. If I do have as much fun as I think I will, would it be worthwhile to sign up for the area 8 championship that’s going on down the road for me. My thought process is that it gets me all 8 stages vs 4 at my local match and I get to see first hand experienced shooters. It would also be my first big match attendance. 

What is your take on this? Too early to attend something like this? Better to spend the match fees on more smaller matches? What did you gain/lose from going to a bigger match? Whatever you have to offer. 

I’d be signing up for CO division if it makes any difference. I am currently unclassified and won’t know what I officially earned until next week but I’m not shooting for the moon. I’m hoping to see a solid C or low B run but that’s easy to say before the buzzer goes off. Time will tell. 

Thanks in advance for any input! 

If you don't have any problem navigating your local SC match, you won't have any problem at a level 2 match. Everything is the same except there will be more shooters and likely stricter R.O.'s . You'll see plenty of C and D class shooters there, so don't worry about that. I shot a level 2 match my first year and had a great time.

2 hours ago, revolver45 said:

The experienced shooters show up prepared.  Equipment and mentally. New comers are nervous and most of their equipment isn't reliable.  Lots of ammo/jams. Finally.  It's always the same people painting and helping out. Usually 5 or 6 of the 12 to 15 person groups. 

I get what you are saying. Sounds like if I ensure I put my equipment through a good ringer and it all proves reliable, I should be ok. Also, just be a team player. 

2 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

Regardless of USPSA or SC, I see what your saying. Being comfortable in my ability to understand how everything works seems to be the key. Don’t be a show stopper and lend a hand and I’ll be good 

2 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

I get what you are saying. Sounds like if I ensure I put my equipment through a good ringer and it all proves reliable, I should be ok. Also, just be a team player. 

Yes. Delays due to ammo jams and people not helping out makes it a long day. We bend but we won't break. 

2 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

If you don't have any problem navigating your local SC match, you won't have any problem at a level 2 match. Everything is the same except there will be more shooters and likely stricter R.O.'s . You'll see plenty of C and D class shooters there, so don't worry about that. I shot a level 2 match my first year and had a great time.

I greatly appreciate the input. I think if I have as much fun as I believe I’m going to have, I’ll be signing up. To me, it’s also a “fear” of going to a bigger match. If I can get these butterflies out now then it won’t be so bad if I go to a more kinetic match like USPSA. 

1 minute ago, revolver45 said:

Yes. Delays due to ammo jams and people not helping out makes it a long day. We bend but we won't break. 

I’m a pretty firm believer that EVERYONE should participate in reset. I understand that if you’re on deck then fine. Get ready. But if you’re already done and not prepping for the next stage then you should help. 

Unless, you go to a cook match that has a reset crew. But even then, I feel like that would be a long day of standing around.

I have no issues with "inexperienced" shooters showing up to Tier 2 or 3 SC Majors.  But, they should have a firm grasp on what they are going to be required to do and know how to do it.  This is where experience from a club match will help.  As an RO for a Tier 2 match one of my biggest pet peeves is getting the competitors that are shooting their EDC gun and have no idea how to actually shoot it.  

I know that not everyone is fast and looking to have some fun, but when it slows down a sold out major it makes a lot of people upset.  If you are taking 4 shots at the 7 yard, 12" target and still haven't hit it, maybe spending the $100 entry fee is not your friend.  If you are shooting Production and have multiple strings where you have to change mags and get help from a squadmate to reload those mags, maybe spend a little more time at Tier 1 matches.

The above scenarios are certainly not the norm, but there is always one or 2 at these bigger matches that are taking 30's on multiple strings and multiple stages.  Major matches are multi-session, multi-day and it is imperative to move everyone along quickly and efficiently.  Tier 1's are a little more laid back and there is a little more time for an RO to assist a newer shooter.  The last thing I want to do is to discourage someone from shooting, but maybe a Tier2 or 3 match for your first time isn't the way to go... 

Edited by bigdawgbeav

10 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

If you are taking 4 shots at the 7 yard, 12" target and still haven't hit it, maybe spending the $100 entry fee is not your friend.

I absolutely see what you mean. 

for me personally, I do feel confident in my abilities. However, this weekend I’ll go from “armchair quaterback” to the real deal and see what really happens. I shouldn’t have any issues with the steel but if I do then you’re right and I should hold off. 

I agree with all of that. 

36 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

Regardless of USPSA or SC, I see what your saying. Being comfortable in my ability to understand how everything works seems to be the key. Don’t be a show stopper and lend a hand and I’ll be good 

Roger that.  Good luck.  

14 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

I absolutely see what you mean. 

for me personally, I do feel confident in my abilities. However, this weekend I’ll go from “armchair quaterback” to the real deal and see what really happens. I shouldn’t have any issues with the steel but if I do then you’re right and I should hold off. 

I agree with all of that. 

It sounds like you do know what you are doing and would be fine at A8.  I'll, hopefully, see you there.

I'll be honest, my first SC match was East Coast Steel Challenge Championship in 2016.  Never shot SC before as no nearby clubs offered it at the time.  I shot RFPO and I knew I was not going to be the best, but had been shooting and practicing leading up to it and didn't embarrass myself too badly.  I had a firm grasp of the basics from my research.  I knew to put the dot on the plate and pull the trigger.  Of course this was before the proliferation of SC in Pennsylvania.  It was the following year that ECSC went with monthly matches, now I got more practice.  Then more clubs started popping up.  Also joined the local steel league here in PA.  So been getting a lot of practice the last 6 years...

Just went back and watched my match video from 2016... talk about cringy.  Was much more watchable on 1.5x speed

Edited by bigdawgbeav

55 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

It sounds like you do know what you are doing and would be fine at A8.  I'll, hopefully, see you there.

I'll be honest, my first SC match was East Coast Steel Challenge Championship in 2016.  Never shot SC before as no nearby clubs offered it at the time.  I shot RFPO and I knew I was not going to be the best, but had been shooting and practicing leading up to it and didn't embarrass myself too badly.  I had a firm grasp of the basics from my research.  I knew to put the dot on the plate and pull the trigger.  Of course this was before the proliferation of SC in Pennsylvania.  It was the following year that ECSC went with monthly matches, now I got more practice.  Then more clubs started popping up.  Also joined the local steel league here in PA.  So been getting a lot of practice the last 6 years...

Just went back and watched my match video from 2016... talk about cringy.  Was much more watchable on 1.5x speed

I just recently did the same and watched my old videos. They were from almost nine years ago and then work got in the way and here I am starting over. I almost deleted them they were so bad. Lol. And by no means do I plan on coming out number one, but hey, winning D class is still winning right hahahaha. 

locally I have a USPSA club that’s about 90 minutes from me that I always seem to miss, which sucks. But 30 minutes away is a local SC club that’s twice a month. As much as I’d like USPSA to be my main squeeze, practically SC is a better option for me and the family. Either way, I just want to have fun like everyone else. 

if I shoot well these next few matches, I think I’ll be checking out A8. If I’m practicing my reloads every stage, then maybe not 🤣

6 hours ago, revolver45 said:

At our Club, we hold 6 Stage SC Matches which we allow all contestants to enter, and when we host the 8 stage events, we don't encourage it as much. We have found that the less experienced shooters slow the rotations down considerably and the veterans stop coming to the big Matches.  Just as a thought. 

4 hours ago, revolver45 said:

As a 'veteran' I wouldn't come to your match either if the squads are 12-15 people.

For the OP, I would totally recommend entering your local area match. especially if you can shoot 2 different divisions on different days. I think you will have fun and learn alot from being immersed in shooting over the weekend and watching the better shooters.

8 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

As a 'veteran' I wouldn't come to your match either if the squads are 12-15 people.

For the OP, I would totally recommend entering your local area match. especially if you can shoot 2 different divisions on different days. I think you will have fun and learn alot from being immersed in shooting over the weekend and watching the better shooters.

thats the biggest thing. I want to learn as much as possible. 

Whelp. Just finished my match. I had a blast. Took away two very valuable lessons learned. 

1) when shooting CO, swap dang mags every two strings. What a rooming mistake on my fourth string going to slide lock right before the stop plate. My mind was so tuned into the targets I skipped over the reload. Mistake that only needs to happen once. 

2) when shot calling, be right. Was doing pretty well for myself and called my shot between the last target and the stop plate. Guess who missed target four but pinged the stop plate like a champ. This guy. Also learned that misses are 3 seconds. Lol. 

overall, what a great time and I had more fun than expected. I know two of four stages we B runs. Got to wait to see what the others turned out to be. 

On 2/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, revolver45 said:

New people are great, we were once all new. Heck I am only going on my second year as a registered USPSA member as on July. The major killer is people not helping out and not being ready to go, ie wheres "XYZ" oh he's in the bathroom or went to get something to eat. One concept to keep in mind here is that this is not just a novice issue but an experienced one as well, some come to matches with an entitled attitude. The fact of the matter is for me being ready to shoot and helping out with painting is a huge help and would take anyone in my group with that mindset. 

Yea, I know what you mean. I did overall have a great time and the club did a very nice job of hosting. I was a small club and I lucked into a small squad. I didn’t have a problem painting as I was “the new guy” and I wanted to show that I wanted to be a team player. Rather have the MD enjoy me coming back vs hating it. Some folks didn’t feel the same about painting but eventually they came around. I believe it was their first one as well. So no harm if it ended well and in the right track