Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Limited - Shadow 2. Start with hammer down or safety on?

obx-shadow2

There’s a term for drawing out an argument  to its most ridiculous conclusion to prove a point. I forget what it’s called,but anyway. 
I try to do this when confronted by these type things. 

“it must be used !

it won’t engage while the hammers down there for he must be saying that you have to start in single action , safety on. 

wait ,but the rules clearly say otherwise. 

🤔 Maybe we should look into this. 

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Bostenelli said:

Out of curiosity

can you only lower the hammer down with a decocker function?  I’ve never tired the other way but depending on the RO i could see a possible overreaction. 

There are many DA/SA guns with no decocker. 

In either case, if the division (like Production / CO) requires you start hammer down, then you have to either manually lower it all the way or use the decocker. You cannot manually lower it to half cock or anything similar, although if the decocker doesn’t lower it all the way then that’s acceptable.

See Appendix D4 special conditions 1 in the rulebook. 

WhenI first started USPSA in 2008 some ROs were not familiar with the requirement and legality of manually lowering the hammer to shoot Production with a gun like a da/sa CZ..  But now it's been common for a long time.

None of it really matter since 10.5.11, under which you would actually DQ someone for the primary/thumb safety violation, only applies to specific firearm conditions. 

If the hammer is down and the safety can be applied but is not, there is no rule under which you can DQ them. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, to beat this dead horse just a little more I reiterate, the RO incorrectly applied the rules in this case.  In Limited I like to shoot with the hammer back and the safety on but if you haven't trained that way it can be confusing and put you at a disadvantage.  This forum is great for geeky discussions of the rules.  As competitors we all have a responsibility to understand all of the rules so we can ensure they are being applied correctly by range officials.  ROs are responsible for rule applications but if we want to be serious competitors we owe it to ourselves to know the rules completely.