Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer tower screws need to be adjusted ALOT

I have an annoying issue to solve. Dillon offered zero response to multiple emails. One the phone,, their tech offered no  suggestions

the issue is this:  when I load  small primer  9mm on a  550c , the screws  holding the primer tower in  place( which also allow proper alignment  with the primer feed stop pin and movement  of the primer slide) need CONSTANT adjustment. the rear screw  tightens with the slide torque after every 10 rounds. it makes the slide harder to work and the slide plate( that the slide rides on) is torquing back and forth. If I loosen the rear screw and slightly tighten the front screw, the primers are fed perfectly. However, if I ignore that torque is tightening the rear  screw and loosening the front  screw, the slide does not align with  the primer feed stop pin and primers do not feed as they normally would.

any suggestions?

BTW My 550c for  45 acp doe s not have this issue at all

I'll repost this picture and link from another thread:

PB020016.jpg

The problem is the holes expand and bind the primer shuttle. The primer base in soft metal, so file down and smooth out the bumps.

Also on my 550 I added the extended after market base/bearing plate that goes under the shuttle.

You can put some Blue loctite on the screws to prevent them from tightening/loosening, or if you don't like using the goop, a couple wraps of Teflon pipe tape, or a couple of wraps of fine monofilament fishing line will also work.

Nolan

13 hours ago, mikedio said:

https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-Tite-Threadmate-Removable-locking-supplier/dp/B01NA97OCA

Try Vibra-Tite, it does not dry rock tight like some of the lock tite products.  You will find that there are a number of uses in shooting sports and reloading. Do not sweat the price, a small jar will last years. 

Michael

Mike

how easy is it to get unblocked?

I have to remove the primer tower sometimes as primers and  metal shards sometimes  get stuck behind the  slide

locktite  is too hard to use for this  reason.

thanks

rob

boatdoc173,

Vibra-tite is easy to loosen to remove a screw.  The screw does not pop loose like with 222 Lock-tite, it maintains resistance while unscrewing.  I got the info on Vibra-tite from the folks at Sinclair International before they were bought out by Brownells. They used Vibra-tite in the ram threads of their hand priming tool to adjust depth or to change calibers. But it does stay put.  I use it religiously. I also use it on the choke threads for my Benelli shotgun.

Michael