Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO ejection distance

CC3D

Hey all, recently got a TSO in .40 and noticed that this thing absolutely launches brass. I'm talking like 15 feet minimum. I'm using my reloads, which are around 173 power factor and the stock recoil spring. Same thing happens with factory ammo. I've considered running a heavier recoil spring but I'm pretty sure the others included are lighter than the stock. I feel that I am running the risk of damaging my slide stop or other parts if the slide is reciprocating too fast. Has anyone else had a similar issue? 

I can always find my brass because its up against the side of the berm, 8' past everyone else's.  Its always been that way, I've got at least 30k rounds through my TS.  Don't worry about it, pick your recoil spring based on sight movement.  You could make your Dodge Demon last twice as long if you drove like a grandma, but that's not what its for.  

I once bought a pack of extra-power recoil springs to try to tame the brass ejection pattern on an OG Tac Sport in .40. I think I worked my way up to 20 pounds without ever having a noticeable effect on the ejection distance. I just accepted that Major PF CZs are an exception to some of the usual rules about spring tuning....

I shot 180gr 172PF loads out of my TS with a 13 lb. spring.  13 gave me the best feel and brought the sights back to to level without dipping below.  YMMV.  You just have to test.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:13 AM, obsessiveshooter said:

By the way, definitely try much lighter recoil springs.  I use a 9lb RS, you'll likely end up in the 9-12lb range.  

Went out again today and tried the lighter springs. Need to do a bit more testing but kinda liking the impulse of the 11? pound one. Had to dig my brass out of the damn side berm though. 

19 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Forget that.  Ejection distance is not a consideration for a major PF race gun.  

Fair enough argument for 9 major but for .40 loaded below factory level PF, I figured brass wouldn't get thrown so far. That was the reason for my original post, wansnt making much sense physics wise. It seems that many others have a similar experience so I am not worried. 

In using lighter springs is the buffer worth running? I know everyone says not to run them but do they actually hurt anything? 

I ditched the buffer in mine because I was troubleshooting feeding issues. Definitely softened things up a little, but id rather not have to add another layer of things to consider when troubleshooting problems. I have a 14lb right now for 180s at 170 power factor, although admittedly I thing I can go lighter. But yes, it launches brass to the moon no matter what. The only brass that I could get it to keep relatively close to me were on my 200gr loads, but I didnt settle on using 200s. I got a DPM dual spring setup coming in the mail...somewhere on its way from greece at the moment. Just another tool for the toolbox to see if I really like it. 

Those systems seem cool as long as they done restrict the stroke. 
being as the tactical sports have a shorter stroke then other limited guns. 
Buffer is a must avoid.

I looked into stroking a tactical sport slide so that you could mess around with aluminum buffs or these types of recoil reduction systems. 
there was no ease way to do it and you would only gain minimal distance. 

On 2/9/2022 at 10:45 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

Forget that.  Ejection distance is not a consideration for a major PF race gun.  

It actually does apply to TSO. To each his own. Always and never statements are always false and never true.

Who’s shooting a TSO 40 minor?

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been out to shoot twice since, but I did notice some changes. When I watch back my match videos, my gun flops around a bit more than I'd personally like. I thought this was due to me not applying adequate grip pressure for .40. Now that I've changed to the springs on my gun I can see that my gun was just over-sprung. The floppiness was coming more from the dip after the shot rather than the actual recoil, which I can see now if I slow down the video. My recoil control is still certainly not where I'd like it to be, I'm sure I'll never be able to run it as flat as I can my 9mm but I can do better than right now. That being said, the spring change (11#) made a massive difference. Return to zero is much better and the hits on target verify that. 

I'm also running with a buffer despite the advice given. Undecided on it currently but it gives me piece of mind when running the lighter springs. Havnt had an issue with it yet and checking after every session to see if it's getting chewed up. Brass still landing 2 bays over. 

I tried to run a buffer. I still like the idea. Even looked into stroking the gun so I could run a buffer  or a aluminum one as a tuning aid. 
you’ll most likely get some short stroke problems with the buffer. 
but run it till it gives you issues. 
just a note, in the country where cz’s are made the first thing they do is take out the buffer. 

My 9mm Shadow 1 also launched it a very long way....I tried all the normal suggestions like different recoil springs, main springs, buffers ect. but it did not make any significant difference. I then changed the angle of the ejector face, which was flat, to have a slight upward angle, very much like my 1911 ejectors. So now the brass goes more upward when ejected, thus landing a lot closer to me. That was my fix for this "problem"

I just want to add....having brass that are being ejected a "long" way, is far better that having brass falling at your feet with the odd FTE........

I've been fooling with the DPM system on my TSO in 40 this week. Their instructions don't correctly correlate to the spring setup that I have in the box. But by process of elimination I have figured out what spring weights are what, I think...

And any combination of springs doesn't change the ejection distance so I wouldn't be getting too wrapped up in how far the gun launches brass when shooting major power factor. Probably when shooting minor they are much more effective.  but to be honest as long as the gun feels good and returns to target like I want,  it then I'm not too wrapped up in how far it's throwing brass.

Anyone else use the DPM setup on the TSO?

8 hours ago, CC3D said:

The DPM system is something I'm interested in myself, how do you like it so far? Do you notice a considerable difference in recoil or more so using it as a alternative to a buffer? 

As far as I can tell the DPM does not shorten the stroke but using a shock buffer will. I'm still going through testing different permutations so it's hard to say any definitive conclusions on performance yet. It's nice having a lot of adjustability though. You have four different types of springs to play with as well as different lengths of buffer tubes to change the main recoil spring preload (at least I'd call it preload , might be a different word for it)