Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any AR experts?

midatlantic

Hi,

I purchased a WMD nickel-boron bcg for my Ruger AR. Doesn't work. Headspace is correct and checked. Pull the trigger, nada. No sign of a firing pin impact on primers. Installed original bcg, works fine. Called WMD to discover everyone is at Shotshow this week.

Visually it looks fine, firing pin etc. is exact same length etc. as original bcg. 

Anyone have a thought?

Yeah. I’ve seen similar before.  The coating on the bolt carrier is too thick and impedes the movement of the bolt in the carrier. 

Check how tight your bolt is in the carrier.  Can you slap test with it and get movement in the bolt itself?

Check to ensure the firing pin flange is inside of the retaining pin (the cotter pin).  It's easy to get the retaining pin on the wrong side if the firing pin isn't completely inserted before installing the retaining pin.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:23 PM, AHI said:

When you push on the firing pin. Will the tip come through the firing pin hole?

This^^^ pull the BCG and verify the firing pin is protruding from the bolt face when the bolt is pushed back inside the carrier, "locked" position.

The NiB may be a little thick and preventing the firing pin from protruding like it should.

• 3 weeks later...