Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Brass

randy01

one issue that sometimes arises when loading major power factor loads for the 38 super is the strength of the brass. if you're using a gun with a fully supported chamber (ramped barrel) this is less of an issue. if you're using a gun with an unsupported barrel (standard feed ramp) then brass strength matters. In tests i've conducted with different brands of brass fired in an unsupported barrel (current colt production) ive found that starline brass (rimmed and rimless) is stronger than Remington or winchester. with excess pressure loads the remington and winchester brass will bulge dangerously in the region where the case is not supported while the starline does not (exact same powder charge and bullet loaded specifically for this test). however, do not interpret this to mean that the starline brass will not fail. it will, but perhaps not as easily as remington and winchester. and i have to add that the strength issue between brands might vary with lot number and other factors, so don't take this as gospel (nothing i say is; actually, nothing anyone else says should be taken as gospel either).

the starline brass appears to have slightly less case capacity than the remington and winchester, and this might result in different velocities with the same powder charge and bullet weight.

hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate Starline. About 10% of them jam up my 1050, really slow down the loading process and make me very unhappy. :angry: The rim thickness varies way too much and the ones that don't fit the press are significantly thicker than the ones that work.

I've been very happy with no failures to feed (into the shellplate) with Armscor. :)

(edited to spell Armscor properly. ;) )

Edited by AikiDale

What .38 super brass should I get for my new gun? Starline or Remington. And Why?

The Smith that is going to build my gun uses Remington, but it is harder to come by over here.

38_Super_Sectioned_Cases.jpg

I have sectioned case to compare wall thickness & profiles, and the Starline 38 Supercomp is almost as heavy as the 38TJ.

LJE -Is the TJ rimless?

TJ's are rimless, but have a deeper and longer extractor groove taper than the Supercomps. Most guns need some extractor tuning to run the TJ's. They are built like a tank, but not quite as strong as a 9x23