Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on SP-01 shadow & carry optics division

Philo_Beddoe

I want to use my SP-01 shadow in carry optics.  Obviously the slide needs milled, any gunsmith suggestions?

I am new to optics on handguns but I have a Holosun 512c on my PCC and like the circle dot reticle.  I have done some research and it seems that direct milling to the slide offers advantages over using a plate.  This leads me to the Holoson 507k as it can be directly milled to the narrow SP-01 slide unlike the 507c or SRO which require a plate.  Is it a bad idea to run the smaller 507k vs larger SRO + plate for competition?

Also if I run the 507k some gunsmiths (Cajun) allow you to keep the factory rear site, will this help someone new to pistol optics find the dot or will it be something in the long run that just clutters up the sight picture?  

Another reason I am leaning toward the 507k is it will fit on my P-01 and rami concealed carry pistols.  I like to keep my competition guns as close to my carry guns as possible.  I am a causal competitor, I do USPSA for fun, but I don’t want my equipment to handicap me either.  Thanks.

Edited by Philo_Beddoe
Paragraph

Check out Fire 4 Effects machine shop in El Paso.  They can mill your SP-01 for the larger RMR/SRO/Holosun footprint.  They offer a pckage to mill your slide to work with the wider footprint.  

Nothing wrong with the smaller 507K (I have the 407K on a Sig 365XL as my carry gun) but the larger window of the SRO/507C is going to make shooting at speed easier.   

960DDF03-AB25-44DF-8960-B9850A59E4F9.jpeg

On 12/23/2021 at 11:54 PM, BMSMB said:

Just an FYI, you don't have to mill the slide... at least I didn't on my regular SP-01 (I'm not sure if the shadow has a different rear sight). You may be able to mount a plate into the rear sight slot.

This

Get a plate

24 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

This

Get a plate

Or don’t :) . I think it gets down to how fussy you are about sight height and whether you want the option to change brands of sight. I had CGW mill one in for me on a cz compact and was happy with the result. 

The smaller K sight is great. Love mine on the guns I’m running on.

if you are new to optics, you may find the larger windows easier for you to aquire the dot  and keep sight of as you shoot. 

no option is perfect, each has its trade off.

Edited by eerw

I have the EGW dovetail mount on my SP01 and it made it through the year with no problems approx 6-7k rounds 5k ish with a 507c then 2k ish with an SRO. If you don't mind the submarine periscope jokes because the sight is a little high it's definitely a viable option if you aren't wanting to get the slide milled right away. 

I'd rec'd getting a plate system so you're not stuck with a single optic mounting pattern should you choose to switch down the road (say from your 507k to SRO). If funds allow, buy a new complete upper to do it with. The one downside is an ever so slightly "taller" optic but totally worth the ability to swap out optics via different plate. (Others may likely tell you the exact height decrease if you choose a direct slide mount vs plate system)

15 hours ago, cjfung10 said:

I'd rec'd getting a plate system so you're not stuck with a single optic mounting pattern should you choose to switch down the road (say from your 507k to SRO). If funds allow, buy a new complete upper to do it with. The one downside is an ever so slightly "taller" optic but totally worth the ability to swap out optics via different plate. (Others may likely tell you the exact height decrease if you choose a direct slide mount vs plate system)

I wonder why you couldn't cut the slide for the optic you want and later on get an adapter plate if you decided you wanted a different optic? Also wonder  if a shooter can tell a difference in muzzle dip with the added weight of the plate. 

https://opticsfactory.com/trijicon-rmr-adapter/RMRComverter

Edited by IHAVEGAS

When I was shooting Uspsa I have been out of the game for a couple years. But am planning to get back to it. I ran sp01 and shadow 2 with dovetail mounts didn’t really want to spend the extra funds to send it out and get milled. If you’re new to having an optic I would go that route first, until you you are completely sure. Just my two cents

On 12/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I wonder why you couldn't cut the slide for the optic you want and later on get an adapter plate if you decided you wanted a different optic? Also wonder  if a shooter can tell a difference in muzzle dip with the added weight of the plate. 

https://opticsfactory.com/trijicon-rmr-adapter/RMRComverter

If I’m not mistaken Cz custom does offer that option but that was a while ago that I checked

• 2 weeks later...