Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PAL filler issue

kmc

I love my PAL filler. I've tried several solutions and It is the best I've seen for filling primer tubes with all brands of primers. I have used it to fill many tens of thousands of primers over the last several years. Yes, it costs more but is totally worth it.

Now that I've said all that, I've recently had an issue with Federal small primers where they occasionally get hung up after going into the top of the hole and won't go down without a poke. I'm not sure if its due to the primer tube, PAL or what. At first, I decided it just needed a good cleaning. However, after a deep cleaning, it still does the same thing. I have not seen the impact on CCI and no Win primers in my shrinking stash to test them--afaik, just with Federal. Has anyone else seen these issues or have a suggested solution?

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Try putting a set of calipers on the primer to see if it is out of round. If only one out of three brands is hanging up, my money is on the primer causing it.

I have to agree with Sarge here. I’m using primers from circa 2015, and when filling tubes, I’ll have one get stuck like you mentioned every 4-500 primers. Basically happens 2 or 3 times per box of 1,000. I’m pretty certain it has to be the primers. 

It’s one Pal Filler vs 1,000 individual primers. It’s much more likely that one or two of those primers are just a little bit off. 

2 hours ago, umberto54 said:

Whoa, I didn’t know there was a maintenance video. I just brush the plate off with an old toothbrush and run a couple pipe cleaners through it every 10,000 primers or so. 

The Pal Filler is just plain AWESOME. 

Since I had already cleaned it, I tried just the baby powder first. No go. I then did what you suggested--put it in the dishwasher and PRESTO! it works like new again. Obviously it wasn't as clean as I thought it was.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

Try putting a set of calipers on the primer to see if it is out of round. If only one out of three brands is hanging up, my money is on the primer causing it.

This wasn't *that* occasional. By "occasional", it had gotten to the point where I would have it hang up 2-3x per 100.

8 hours ago, kmc said:

Fresh--weeks to months old. There is nothing wrong with the primers. Once the PAL filler was cleaned per video above, it again worked 100%.

glad to hear it. I may have to give that a try with mine. The last batch of primers I recently scored are from 2004. The production dates are going backwards instead of forward.