Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recommendations for loads for my 38cal S&W model 36 2" barrel

mofosheee

Hello Forum

Have had the model 36 for years...............piles of brass & primers at my disposal.   Powder on hand; W231, AA2, AA5, AA7 & titegroup.

Would some one please chime in on their favorite loads for this gun?  Target and hollow  (NON +P loads of course)

Thanks all!

Good Morning Mofosheee,

I am loading a 125gr Flat Point cast bullet over 3.2gr of Clays with the case mouth crimped into the crimp groove (1.438”).  .This is a Cowboy Action load, but is pleasant to shoot in my 2” Smith AirWeight. I did not list a specific bullet caster because for CAS I haven’t noticed enough difference to bother. 

I will try and get the load that some of my CAS shooters use with TiteGroup, but everything is the same except for powder volume as my Clays load. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For self defense loads, a healthy load of AA #5 will do it.  I have not used AA #7 in .38 and there isn't data for it except for +P on their website.  I wouldn't be too concerned about shooting +P in that gun even if it's old, because +P is such a minor difference, but in my J frames, I don't need full power loads.  Even in my magnum J frame, I only shoot about 1000 fps loads in it because that hurts bad enough.

For modest loads for target shooting 2.5-2.7 grains of Clays is my load, so something like AA #2 is probably a good substitute.  I have shot 105, 125, and 158 grain bullets with modest loads like this and that's what I use for SASS as well.  They will make a J frame MUCH more enjoyable.

Name: .38 Special: 158gr Berry's: 231 4.6gr
Shots: 14
Average: 689 ft/s
SD: 15 ft/s
Min: 668 ft/s
Max: 723 ft/s
Spread: 55 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 108
Power Factor Low: 105
Power Factor High: 114
Weight: 158.0 gr.

Name: .38 Special: 158gr Berry's: Accurate Arms #2 4.3gr
Notes: S&W 627 5" barrel
Shots: 6
Average: 733 ft/s
SD: 8 ft/s
Min: 724 ft/s
Max: 749 ft/s
Spread: 25 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 115
Power Factor Low: 114
Power Factor High: 118
Weight: 158.0 gr.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t have the load data handy but I found 231 to be as accurate as Bullseye especially with 148 grain lead HBWC’s and 158 grain SWC’s. A few years back I couldn’t find Bullseye anywhere and started using 231 as did several others I shoot with.

I'd suggest OP looks long and hard at target level wadcutter loads. Most HPs won't reliably expand from a 2 inch barrel at standard velocities. I suggest you check out the Lucky Gunner Lab tests for 38 /357. Note that the only bullets that reliably expand from a two inch revolver are specifically designed for that purpose, and a lot of them don't appear to be offered for sale to reloaders. Also take note of some of the tradeoffs between expansion and penetration. Anyway, enjoy: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/

Edited by anachronism