Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead in barrel

Ontarget

you will see the grey streaks in the rifling - sometimes it takes side light at the muzzle.  Wrap a bore brush with some copper chore boy scouring pad or bronze wool and it will pull it right out.

1 hour ago, Ontarget said:

How can you tell if there is lead in your barrel? And which product is the best way

to eliminate it? Thanks.

Before you do something you'll regret, get a cheap borescope and look at your barrel.  There is an old saying about more barrels have been ruined by poor cleaning methods, than have ever been worn out.

$40 for pistols

https://www.amazon.com/Borescope-Cleaning-Right-Angle-0-2-Inch-Diameter/dp/B08D67H7LZ/ref=sr_1_18

$46 flexible for rifles

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F/ref=pd_bxgy_2/138-6158370-7899260?

I have the rifle version and it works well.

Nolan

There is ZERO chance of ruining a barrel with Copper Chore Boy (which are only made from 99.9% copper) or bronze wool.  Two swipes and the lead is gone.  Just a different type of Bronze Bore Brush.  I have used them on my pistols and rifles that shoot lead for years, and no harm has ever come to the barrels - Douglas, Pac-Nor, Shilen.

Edited by 5Shot

Pfft, y'all are making it hard. Just buy a box of Herter's Total Nylon and shoot the lead out. One or two shots at most is all it takes.

But first I would make sure you have a leading problem and then I would investigate methods to eliminate that problem. Leading is not normal. Usually it's your ammo. If it's not, most times a quick lapping job will clear it up.