Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625-8 rear sight

DianabolandDeadlifts

12 hours ago, DianabolandDeadlifts said:

I saw that blade on Brownell's, I may try that first.  Thanks for the help guys.  I'm used to shooting single stack major, this 625 is a handful. 

My 625 is 5 inch is my absolute favorite revo!  I don't have any sight suggestions, but I'm curious as to what you find a handful regarding the 625?  Are you referencing the vastly different manual of arms between shooting a 1911 and a revo, or something else?    I find my level of suck increases exponentially after the beep whenever I try to shoot a 1911 in any match (Steel Challenge, USPSA of that one with the vests):  I quit thinking about trigger control and revert to a trigger roll as I'm putting the sight back down or transitioning.   I invariably break shots high or before the target.   The trigger roll as I'm sighting takes over and the sight then trigger escapes me!   I always end up frustrated!   I *might* be able to overcome the issue, but I never commit enough time to the 1911 before I go back to revo.  I also suffer from a plastic, not elastic, physical skill set.  I find I'm not adaptive between platforms.  I equate this with an utter lack of natural ability.  Any personal success I have has to be drilled ad nauseum:  I can't pick up a platform and do well.  

Thanks!

Jason

Oh, I just meant level of recoil relative to a 1911.  Feels a lot stiffer, maybe because I don’t have my grip figured out.  Still working on manual of arms, dry firing weak hand reloads which feels more natural than strong.  Pros and cons?  I tried strong  hand reload but then watched a video of leatham and trying weak now.  Seems less convoluted.

Edited by DianabolandDeadlifts

I think recoil is stiffer.  W/o the main,recoil springs and slide mass to overcome in the revo, all recoil is transmitted into the shooters hand(s), imo.

Enjoy your 625!

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

I really like the factory .196" RS Blade, it's deeper than even my Millets (discontinued) and they're inexpensive.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004431882?pid=242918  for $56 you can get the whole sight

or just the blade https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004507628?pid=750428  but with this you also need a new screw https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004510531?pid=770146 and a nut https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004496668?pid=672392. or in pieces it's about $20.  It's not a difficult task to change them out either.

You can get White Outline or Plain (my choice).

2 hours ago, Makicjf said:

My 625 is 5 inch is my absolute favorite revo!  I don't have any sight suggestions, but I'm curious as to what you find a handful regarding the 625?  Are you referencing the vastly different manual of arms between shooting a 1911 and a revo, or something else?    I find my level of suck increases exponentially after the beep whenever I try to shoot a 1911 in any match (Steel Challenge, USPSA of that one with the vests):  I quit thinking about trigger control and revert to a trigger roll as I'm putting the sight back down or transitioning.   I invariably break shots high or before the target.   The trigger roll as I'm sighting takes over and the sight then trigger escapes me!   I always end up frustrated!   I *might* be able to overcome the issue, but I never commit enough time to the 1911 before I go back to revo.  I also suffer from a plastic, not elastic, physical skill set.  I find I'm not adaptive between platforms.  I equate this with an utter lack of natural ability.  Any personal success I have has to be drilled ad nauseum:  I can't pick up a platform and do well.  

Thanks!

Jason

I've actually found it's easier to go from the SA trigger to my Revolver than the other way.  If I try going from my Revolver to a SA trigger I'm slower than I need to be.

10 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I think recoil is stiffer.  W/o the mainspring and slide mass to overcome in the revo, all recoil is transmitted into the shooters hand(s), imo.

Enjoy your 625!

Jason

625s have always felt like a handful when going fast. Especially 4” guns and 175pf. Like riding a bull. 

10 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I think recoil is stiffer.  W/o the mainspring and slide mass to overcome in the revo, all recoil is transmitted into the shooters hand(s), imo.

Enjoy your 625!

Jason

When you factor in the "slamming" of the slide at both ends of the cycle it doesn't seem more to me.  What I do find with the Revolver is the front sight tracks easier as it stays on the same plane.  Kind of like a FS on a Comp, weight or Barrel is easier for me to shoot.

4 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

This, and also, semi-autos have the slide coming forward to bring the nose of the gun back down. At the end of a Virginia Count stage with the wheelgun, you can often see me not bother bringing the gun back on target prior to ULSC.

1 hour ago, DianabolandDeadlifts said:

Still working on manual of arms, dry firing weak hand reloads which feels more natural than strong.  Pros and cons?  I tried strong  hand reload but then watched a video of leatham and trying weak now.  Seems less convoluted.

The weak hand reload makes more sense to me, and I shifted to it exclusively after a year with the strong hand reload. I can do the weak hand reload much more easily on the run, and it means I don't have to worry about re-establishing a good strong hand grip several times through a stage, which was a weak point for me in 2020.

The strong hand reload is slightly faster, though, because your hands can work independently for longer. The fastest I've clocked a weak hand reload in dry fire was, I believe, just under 1.5s, which is a tenth or so shy of that live fire strong hand reload MWP recorded, and I haven't repeated my best effort yet. I do think there's some time to be gained by keeping the gun high rather than bringing it down the belt, but working on that will have to wait until my gun comes back from Ruger.

2 minutes ago, MWP said:

625s have always felt like a handful when going fast. Especially 4” guns and 175pf. Like riding a bull. 

Bulls spin.  More like a big bareback bronc, slamming up and down with ferocity, dying to break your grip!  

:)

jason

Using 230 gr. roundnose bullets, with a light charge of Clays, you can minimize recoil while still making major PF. The heavy bullets take down large steel with authority. Heavy hit on targets, firm push on hands.

Edited by Toolguy

6 minutes ago, DianabolandDeadlifts said:

I’ve been shooting coated 230 gr over bullseye, clays better in your opinion?

I shoot bullseye as well.  

Brazos Precision 230 rn

4.0 Bullseye

1.240 oal

.469 crimp

Get me 745 with a nice recoil.

3.8 hovers right around 718 fps, which at nominal weight is to close for comfort.

3.2 of bullseye and the same as above makes a really nice minor load.

I'm curious if Clay's is nicer, too!

Jason

To me, Clays seems to have a softer recoil. No scientific testing involved, strictly seat of the pants opinion. Bullseye is still one of the best target load powders for accuracy, even after all these years it's been around (over 100 years?).

Yes Hogue made that grip. And you don’t want it if that’s what you’re thinking. It keeps your hand from getting anywhere near high enough on that gun. 

What do you plan to shoot with your 625? Uspsa, icore, IDPA? 

5 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Using 230 gr. roundnose bullets, with a light charge of Clays, you can minimize recoil while still making major PF. The heavy bullets take down large steel with authority. Heavy hit on targets, firm push on hands.

How much Clays are you loading. Just switching to Clays from Red Dot.  Was thinking 3.8 or 4.0

Edited by 625