Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A solution for blue tip damage in the 1050

The main problem in blue tip breakage on the 1050 seems to be when a primer that is not seated flush in the primer slide hole is drawn back onto the blue tip, resulting in crushing and damage. This can happen if there is no case in the shell plate above the primer station and the unused primer does not return flush into the slide hole (due to dirt or some other reason), or when a primer has been crushed during seating into a case (probably because of a crimped or damaged primer pocket) and the damaged primer sticks partially out of the slide hole.

There is a very simple fix that has worked 100% for me and I have not replaced a blue tip since installing the fix several years ago.

I created a plastic shield that sits close around the blue tip, but not tight. When a primer that is not seated flush in the slide hole is drawn back toward the blue tip it hits the front of the shield. This can re-seat a good primer that is sitting slightly high, or swipe a damaged primer out of the hole, or create a soft jam that the user can feel.

There may be a slight risk of detonation if a lot of force is exerted on a jammed primer, but the primer will be well away from the primer column and any force on the plastic will be much less than force between two pieces of metal jamming together on a primer, as can happen if a user has a metal tip on the primer tube instead of the blue plastic tip.

Offered for information only. I take no responsibility if you decide to use this idea at your own risk.

20211029_130216.jpg

20211029_130053.jpg

Edited by DownUnder

Found out about these on Bullseye L  . They fit the 1050. I was probably the first to try them on a 1050. All the current Dillon primer magazine tubes are the same.

You do still tighten the cap the same. It is actuary not as critical to leave it a little loose as with the blue tips. Read the directions about installing the tip . On the small primer tube I did have to "glue" the new tip using red Lock Tight. 

I waited till I had loaded with this for a while before recommending this. It has fixed my last issue with priming on the1050.

Have a set to install on my 550  but have not tried it yet. Could just move the tube from press to press. May try that next time I load .223.

2 hours ago, weeniewawa said:

these will fit the 1050?

I just emailed and asked the same question the answer I received is below...

Yes.  I replaced all plastic ends with my own brass ends, and using tubes with brass ends on my XL750 and both RL and Super 1050s.  Ends were iriginally sized for 750.  So on 1050 you might need to run ends over 200 grit sandpaper.  That depends on your particular press’ dimensions. 

Coincidently, I just received review submitted by fellow reloader who uses 1050.  It will be posted on website soon.

Be safe,

AP

3 hours ago, AHI said:

Found out about these on Bullseye L  . They fit the 1050. I was probably the first to try them on a 1050. All the current Dillon primer magazine tubes are the same.

You do still tighten the cap the same. It is actuary not as critical to leave it a little loose as with the blue tips. Read the directions about installing the tip . On the small primer tube I did have to "glue" the new tip using red Lock Tight. 

I waited till I had loaded with this for a while before recommending this. It has fixed my last issue with priming on the1050.

Have a set to install on my 550  but have not tried it yet. Could just move the tube from press to press. May try that next time I load .223.

I just read the post on Bullseye L.  Very enlightening!

Placed my order for both ends.  I appreciate the insight for mounting.  Have all flavors of Loctite!  ;)

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, dr_boone said:

Coincidently, I just received review submitted by fellow reloader who uses 1050.  It will be posted on website soon

That is my review. I am not very good at them. Was actually asked to review some time ago. This discussion reminded me to fallow through.

3 hours ago, AHI said:

That is my review. I am not very good at them. Was actually asked to review some time ago. This discussion reminded me to fallow through.

Be sure and link us to your review!  I for one would definitely like to read it!

👍

The brass tip is a hard metal surface that can crush a returning primer against the hard metal slide, directly under the column of primers.

Just saying.

I'm pretty sure that is why Dillon uses the soft blue tip on the 1050/1100, whereas the other presses have a different priming action.

7 hours ago, DownUnder said:

The brass tip is a hard metal surface that can crush a returning primer against the hard metal slide, directly under the column of primers.

Just saying.

I'm pretty sure that is why Dillon uses the soft blue tip on the 1050/1100, whereas the other presses have a different priming action.

first Dillon has used a brass tip in the past. It was still being used on the 650. 

second  if you have a problem with this Don't use it.

last     I have been using this for over a year with out any issues. Three other people I know are using these for over  six mounts with no issues.

between the four of us that's over 100k rounds loaded. With no issues.

Brass is a soft metal.

Edited by AHI

On the 650 a primer is never moved back under the column of primers. If you want to use a brass tip on a 650 there is little risk of a primer being crushed. I'm not sure how the 650 is relevant to this topic, it does not use a reciprocating primer slide.

On the 1050 a jammed primer can be dragged back under the column of primers and crushed between two hard surfaces if a brass tip is being used. Not a frequent event, but possible, which is likely the reason why Dillon does not supply a metal tip for the 1050. The plastic tip works, but is fragile. Put a soft guard in front of the plastic tip and it lasts forever.

If anyone wants to recommend using a brass tip in the 1050 that is not the purpose of my post and I strongly discourage the idea. Anyway, make your own choices about brass tips, I'm happy with a softer option.

Edited by DownUnder

18 minutes ago, DownUnder said:

On the 650 a primer is never moved back under the column of primers. If you want to use a brass tip on a 650 there is little risk of a primer being crushed. I'm not sure how the 650 is relevant to this topic, it does not use a reciprocating primer slide.

On the 1050 a jammed primer can be dragged back under the column of primers and crushed between two hard surfaces if a brass tip is being used. Not a frequent event, but possible, which is likely the reason why Dillon does not supply a metal tip for the 1050. The plastic tip works, but is fragile. Put a soft guard in front of the plastic tip and it lasts forever.

If anyone wants to recommend using a brass tip in the 1050 that is not the purpose of my post and I strongly discourage the idea. Anyway, make your own choices about brass tips, I'm happy with a softer option.

@DownUnder

Having moved from many years of operating the XL650 platform to an RL1100, I can totally relate to how the 650's rotating primer disk is very unlikely to drag a primer back under the "column of primers" as you note.

You state above:

a jammed primer can be dragged back under the column of primers and crushed between two hard surfaces if a brass tip is being used.

Now I'm wondering if there would be a safe way to take say, a spent primer, and demonstrate exactly how this can happen?  Having owned/operated an RL1100 for just under 2 years, I have experienced upside down, crushed, and side-ways installed primers!  But I have never had one drug back under the remaining column of primers!  And I can assure you I respect the fact that I need to keep the priming system on my press clean and well maintained as a top priority!

16 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

You state above:

Now I'm wondering if there would be a safe way to take say, a spent primer, and demonstrate exactly how this can happen?  Having owned/operated an RL1100 for just under 2 years, I have experienced upside down, crushed, and side-ways installed primers!  But I have never had one drug back under the remaining column of primers!  And I can assure you I respect the fact that I need to keep the priming system on my press clean and well maintained as a top priority!

What used to happen on my 1050.

1. Primer hangs onto depriming pin and pulls back into brass.

2. Primer is mashed by swagger , moron doesn't stop because he feels something wrong.

3. New primer gets mashed and pulled back into priming station, blue thingy gets mangled.

For what it is worth I have had one primer detonate in the press, made my right ear ring and startled me but that was it.

23 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

What used to happen on my 1050.

1. Primer hangs onto depriming pin and pulls back into brass.

2. Primer is mashed by swagger , moron doesn't stop because he feels something wrong.

3. New primer gets mashed and pulled back into priming station, blue thingy gets mangled.

For what it is worth I have had one primer detonate in the press, made my right ear ring and startled me but that was it.

deleted.......

Edited by HOGRIDER

3 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

I just looked at the primer slide pic in the Manual..............."now" I'm thinking the mangled/damaged primer is being pulled back cause it's still/stuck in the primer hole of the slide.

Duh........

I think you are most likely correct.