Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing stuck/stripped 2011 front grip screws

Robertwil18

Anyone have any advice for removing stuck/stripped front grip screws from a 2011.  I don't recall using any loctite, but the screws wont budge, and im bending even quality allen wrenches trying to get them to budge.  Tried some moderate heat to loosen, tried slightly oversized wrenches, next up is torx style bits and if needed drilling them out.  Any potential fixes before i am forced to resort to drilling?  Would prefer to avoid it to reduce possibility of drilling frame lug, or grip.  Thanks. 

Lay the gun on its side and fill the area around the screw with Kroil Oil.  Let it sit for a day or two and try again.  I'd recommend taking out the front trigger guard screws and bushing.  If you can find a way to apply it, put some Kroil on the bottom screw from inside the grip.

There are several stuck screw extractors that work.  I prefer the type you hammer in and then turn.  I'd use one of these after the Kroil treatment.

As far as drilling, I would not be concerned.  The only threads you can damage are in the bushing you are going to discard anyway.  Take a new grip screw.  Select a drill bit just a little larger than the thread OD.  Then drill into the head of the screw.  Do it gently.  You only want to drill down far enough so the head comes off.  The you can use a punch to drive out the bushing with the remaining threads inside.  It is unlikely the bushing is struck so badly it cannot be driven out with moderate force.  If really stuck, pour Kroil Oil into the opening and let it sit.

I assuming you are talking about the tiny screws at the front of the trigger guard?  I have had them get stuck before and I completely stopped using them because of the problems with them.  They way I got them unstuck was to use a dremel cut off wheel and cut a slot in the screw head and use a small flat blade screwdriver to get them out. 

When this has happened to me on both firearms and other one of a kind pieces equipment where failure is not an option in comparison to great financial expenditure, I like to use left handed drill bits. (Assuming a right handed thread) Most of the time but not always, the screw starts to spin itself out as you progress to a larger size bit.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Metal 2011 grip frame or plastic? If plastic, fry freezing. Metal shrinks when cooled, might loosen up the threads. 

I've also found that putting the driver bit in the screw and hitting with a hammer, straight down, can sometimes loosen stuck screws.