Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forgetting Gear

Brundoggie

Figure this... my first big mainland match... fly halfway around the world and check into the hotel. OK, check the gun...no problem... check the mags... yep, all here...assemble the belt and holster...HOLY CRAP! I forgot my belt and holster! Quick call to the better half to ship via FEDEX, two day is best we can expect from Hawaii givent the discovery time.

Panic run to several gunshops and finally end up at Sportsmans Warehouse, try and find a polymer rig at a semi-low price to make it through 5 stages of kick ass shooting. Find rig, return to hotel, assemble rig and practice drawing and reloading from "not quite right" setup.

Next day on the range, first stage...ok, no problems. Second stage, straightforward run and gun (my kind of stage), engage first series of targets... grab mag to reload and pull double mag pouch off of belt (bottom screw loosened and fell out). Gun in one hand, attempt to thumb mag out of pouch to enable reload... needless to say, time sucked.

Ah yesss, while walking through pasting a fellow squadmember's targets.. RO walks up and offers this helpful advice - "I may be a newcomer but I find that my reloads go faster when my stuff stays on my belt." Thanks, brah.

Anyway, despite the challenges, I had a lot of fun at Rio Salado.

Drive 35 miles to shoot a match, using my production gear, a CZ 75 in 9 MM. I have ammo, mags, belt, gun but no holster.

Another competor loaned me a holster (for a glock) which fit pretty good!

first stage, draw, bang, **click**, tap, rack, bang. started on Baseball standards which is 4 strings! Took me all 4 draws to figures it out.

Gun fit fine however when i would draw, i pushed the mag button in and would unseat the mags.

45 mile drive to the range.. shooting open.. Get to the range and discover.. I have no inner belt or outer belt with all attached items like Holster, mag pouches etc. I have my open gun, mags and ammo and... My cloth backup, will handle any gun, carry holster.. Well.. I guess it'll work. Open so 2 mags is all I'll need. I was able to scrounge up a single mag pouch for my second mag (thanks EriK W). If I can't do everything with 2 - 27 rd mags, I may as well go home. Shot the match at about my level. Draws sucked but I made up for that with fast shots etc. That's the last time I'm going to do THAT! :D One stage start had gun on the table unloaded, so I didn't even need a holster for that stage. It all worked out. I'm damn happy I had that $10 cloth carry holster in my bag for "just such an emergency" though now it too is on a belt and I use it for my production rig....

Vince

I'm sure sargenv remembers this one. 2-hour drive to a 3-gun match, arrived about half hour late trying to find the match (big range). Found the MD and paid the fee, dumped all the gear in the baby cart but cannot find the key for the cable lock on my M1A. Running around to find some kind of cutter and was directed to a gentleman whom one of the range master claims to carry everything but the kitchen sink. Cut the cable off with a chisel and a hammer. Ran back to the stage to find out that it was my turn. Loaded mags as quick as I can and went to the line trying to catch my breath still. With all the anxiety, forgot to ask for a quick walk-through. Shot the stage asking the RO the course of fire as I go. Needless to say forget about the time. Now, after shooting the last stage I took off leaving my rifle on the rack! From now on, like what SA said, CHECKLIST! Thanks again Vince for picking it up for me.

Edited by norbs007