Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hogue big butt grip question - black coating/finish?

matteekay

Posting here because I think it's specific to Hogue revolver grips...

I have a set of big butts with a black lower section. Does anyone know what this finish is? I'm not sure if it's some kind of coating over wood or if it's an entirely different material like micarta. 

51383693376_3d0d3af9b7_c.jpg

Updating just in case anyone is curious - it looks like the lower section is micarta or a similar composite material. There's a small section of it visible through the top of the mounting hole and it's clearly an unfinished black material and not wood.

8 minutes ago, GMM50 said:

Pat just built for me an X frame Big But grip.  Rubber for the grip area and a green finish at the bottom.

Big test this Sat at AZ ICORE.

One- that sounds awesome. Pic?

Two - you shoot an X-Frame at ICORE?!

5 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

Is that the special order big butt grip Hogue custom made for you Matt?

It is! Extra large black butt (the jokes write themselves...) and Hogue knocked it out of the park.

I'm finding that the forward edge of the butt is a little too far forward. My support hand interfaces with it well, but I can't get a tight grip on my shooting hand. I think I'm going to shorten that edge by a bit and it should be the best of both worlds; I was trying to figure out what the material is so I can modify it cleanly.

I’ve modified a few of these with a Dremel sanding bit then finish with a buffing bit with a jewellers red paste.

i had Pat make me a few with the butt made out of rubber, I have an odd grip and the rubber works great for my support hand grip.

Welp... it was micarta, lol.

51608341357_dd358d4c0d_c.jpg

About 80% done. I cut the leading edge with a coping saw and reshaped the front curves with a file and a Dremel sanding wheel. I'm in the midst of re-stippling the front (which is awful - micarta is tough and tends to burn) and then I'll finish cleaning up the lower section. Not sure that I can get it back to a mirror finish but I can definitely get it cleaner than it currently is.

Looking good Matt.  Custom knifemakers work with black paper micrata all the time and it should be no sweat with the knowhow and the patience : )

So how do you like your custom grips?  Did Hogue make them shorter than the factory size?

I am still trying to get a feel of things but it almost seems like the factory generic grips are humongigantorous.

Even with a two handed (6th finger) grip in there its pretty roomy. 

Honest question-Where does your support hand pinky supposed to go anyways?  Does it go above the big butt, or in front of the big butt?

5 hours ago, Sniperboy said:

Looking good Matt.  Custom knifemakers work with black paper micrata all the time and it should be no sweat with the knowhow and the patience : )

So how do you like your custom grips?  Did Hogue make them shorter than the factory size?

I am still trying to get a feel of things but it almost seems like the factory generic grips are humongigantorous.

Even with a two handed (6th finger) grip in there its pretty roomy. 

Honest question-Where does your support hand pinky supposed to go anyways?  Does it go above the big butt, or in front of the big butt?

On the last point - I imagine that's personal preference. What I prefer is my support hand wrapping all the way around my strong hand with my pinky resting on the front edge of the butt for additional control (hence the shortening work I did to this set).

Yes, Hogue sized these so that my hand locks in with very little room before the butt section. I'm the same way - I can fit both hands onto the grip with room to spare on the "factory" ones. I've done well with those, too, but the custom-size ones are next-level.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 7:48 PM, Badkarma said:

So what is the secret to getting custom-sized big butt grips?  I've emailed Hogue (several times) and have never gotten a response.  I have several big but grips and I too have room to spare on the "factory" ones. 

I’m surprised you haven’t received a response. When did you send an email?

Anytime you can catch Pat in person at a match is ideal to order a custom grip. Especially at a big revolver match where he has a table set up, it’s nice to talk about options and be able to see examples right there. 

Years back I think we emailed Houge too and it went nowhere, then we went to the 2018 IRC and now we have 8 custom grips I think…. Maybe 9?  The first few didn’t fit my hand /grip  and had to go through a few interations to  figure out what worked best.

Mat- why no logo on the grip?  Dull boy duuulllllll. Lol